Tips, Tricks and Newb Questions: Reborn!

Talk to a NPC follower and select the response “let’s talk about faction camps” then ask for the tutorial.

1 Like

AFAIK, in RL garlic is some kind of antibiotic

Any tips for night raids? For me it is almost impossible to avoid zombies at night. Even when my spawn rate is set to 0.01 there are many zombies due to the fact that hordes are enabled. If hordes are enabled, spawn rate almost does not matter (or it is some kind of bug)

It is. You are correct. If you crush it a little and place it over the wound. It will behave like a light anti-biotic ointment would. Certainly better than using a rag. Clean or otherwise. Using water would be a little iffy though. All water is contaminated in this day and age. Rain makes all water unsafe. Too much crap in the water. So unless you had dirt or something in the wound. Washing is actually going to add more bacteria to the wound than getting rid of it.

Only way around this would be to boiled the water for 5 minutes and use it once cooled. But if you are bleeding fast. You may not have the luxury of being clean =/

Yes in a way, but only insofar as wound treatment directly. It’s not a broad spectrum antibiotic.

The in game infection is basically sepsis, which affects the entire bloodstream and in severe cases causes septic shock which has a 40% mortality rate even given modern treatments, which includes antibiotics injected directly into the bloodstream, oxygen masks, intravenous fluids, and possibly surgery to remove the infected areas damaged beyond recovery. It’s not pretty.

Before modern antibiotics, wound infections were nearly guaranteed to be lethal in the long run. There doesn’t exist an effective treatment that can be made with wilderness tools.

Alright, more questions for a wilderness survivor: is there an easy way to get/make batteries? And what is the easiest way to get a cleaning solution for cleaning gear. Tallow and something else to make soap?

1 Like
Battery recipe
{
  "type" : "recipe",
  "result": "battery",
  "category": "CC_ELECTRONIC",
  "subcategory": "CSC_ELECTRONIC_COMPONENTS",
  "skill_used": "fabrication",
  "skills_required": [ "electronics", 1 ],
  "difficulty": 2,
  "time": 5000,
  "book_learn": [[ "manual_electronics", 1 ] , [ "mag_electronics", 1 ] , [ "textbook_anarch", 2 ]],
  "qualities" : [ {"id":"SCREW","level":1} ],
  "components": [
    [
      [ "lemon", 1 ],
      [ "irradiated_lemon", 1 ],
      [ "orange", 1 ],
      [ "irradiated_orange", 1 ],
      [ "grapefruit", 1 ],
      [ "irradiated_grapefruit", 1 ],
      [ "acid", 1 ],
      [ "vinegar", 2 ]
    ],
    [
      [ "steel_chunk", 1 ],
      [ "knife_butter", 1 ],
      [ "knife_steak", 1 ],
      [ "bolt_steel", 1 ],
      [ "scrap", 1 ]
    ],
    [
      [ "can_drink_unsealed", 1 ],
      [ "can_food_unsealed", 1 ],
      [ "canister_empty", 1 ]
    ]
  ]
}

Batteries are craftable, so they are obtainable even without risking your life looting houses or electronic store in the cities :slight_smile:

Soap recipe
{
  "type" : "recipe",
  "result": "soap",
  "category": "CC_CHEM",
  "subcategory": "CSC_CHEM_CHEMICALS",
  "skill_used": "cooking",
  "difficulty": 3,
  "time": 45000,
  "qualities" : [
    {"id":"CHEM","level":1}],
  "autolearn": true,
  "tools": [
    [ [ "surface_heat", 18, "LIST" ] ]
    ],
  "components": [
    [
     [ "tallow", 2 ],
     [ "lard", 2 ],
     [ "cooking_oil", 2 ]
    ],
    [
     [ "lye", 2 ],
     [ "lye_powder", 75 ]
    ],
    [
     [ "water", 2 ],
     [ "water_clean", 2 ]
    ]
   ]
}

You could also put lards and cooking oils as alternatives to tallow :wink:

Battery recipe is not a thing anymore in the main game : #28137

On another topic : how does one train first aid to and past 8 ? I know there’s the advanced emergency care book but it is a bit hard to find, is there something else ?

1 Like

Oh, that was quick tho…

Nope, I’ve skimmed through the files and there are no other books that raises your first aid skill to or above 8 other than the advanced emergency care book you’ve said earlier.

All first aid books
{
    "id": "emergency_book",
    "type": "BOOK",
    "name": "Guide to Advanced Emergency Care",
    "name_plural": "Guides to Advanced Emergency Care",
    "description": "A thick textbook for paramedics describing advanced lifesaving procedures and field-expedient care methods.",
    "weight": 2063,
    "volume": 8,
    "price": 9200,
    "bashing": 8,
    "material": [ "paper" ],
    "symbol": "?",
    "color": "blue",
    "skill": "firstaid",
    "required_level": 5,
    "max_level": 8,
    "intelligence": 10,
    "time": 55,
    "fun": -1
  },
  {
    "id": "mag_firstaid",
    "name": "Paramedics",
    "name_plural": "Paramedics",
    "description": "An educational magazine for EMTs.",
    "weight": 60,
    "volume": 1,
    "price": 480,
    "color": "pink",
    "max_level": 1,
    "intelligence": 1,
    "time": 8,
    "fun": 1
  },
  {
    "id": "manual_first_aid",
    "name": "The Big Book of First Aid",
    "name_plural": "Big Books of First Aid",
    "description": "It's big and heavy, but full of great information about first aid.",
    "weight": 454,
    "volume": 5,
    "price": 2500,
    "color": "green",
    "max_level": 3,
    "intelligence": 7,
    "time": 20
  },
  {
    "id": "pocket_firstaid",
    "name": "Pocket Guide to First Aid",
    "name_plural": "Pocket Guides to First Aid",
    "description": "This pocket-sized leather-bound guide to first aid combines a wealth of concise information with simple to follow instructions and easy to read illustrations.",
    "weight": 192,
    "price": 4000,
    "material": [ "paper", "leather" ],
    "color": "green",
    "max_level": 2,
    "intelligence": 6,
    "time": 20
  },
  {
    "id": "textbook_firstaid",
    "name": "First Responder Handbook",
    "//": "College-level textbooks are Cheap at $60.  Med book is likely more expensive.",
    "description": "A hardbound book detailing advanced first aid techniques and field-expedient medical care.",
    "weight": 1360,
    "volume": 8,
    "price": 8500,
    "bashing": 4,
    "color": "blue",
    "required_level": 3,
    "max_level": 6,
    "intelligence": 8,
    "time": 30
  },
  {
    "id": "booklet_firstaid",
    "name": "First Aid Kit Instruction Booklet",
    "name_plural": "First Aid Kit Instruction Booklets",
    "description": "Illustrated how-to guide for your first aid kit.",
    "weight": 60,
    "price": 480,
    "color": "pink",
    "max_level": 1,
    "time": 8,
    "fun": 1
  }

I got lucky to find a Doctor profession NPC. Nanette has first aid of 9, so she will bring me up to speed soon. Other than that - probably nothing.

Ok thanks, we might need to add one more book that gets it to 10 then. Something that would drop in labs for exemple.

1 Like

Regarding slime pits - alas my z-levels aren’t enabled Junknown. I’d love to find a missile silo however :slight_smile:

The pit is in a choke point between forests on the route to the ranch.

That should still leave the battery made of straight up acid, though looking at the item browser it says battery is just made of 2 paper with 0 skill. Which I don’t think is right.

In that case I hope you have reasonable combat skills and a decent cutting weapon. Because there are a lot of blobs in the pits and it is easy to get swarmed in there if you enter unprepared.

If you play with PK’s rebalancing you will also need plenty of prussian blues to counter the radiation from blob attacks. I also believe PK’s adds a chance to spawn a shoggoth in there so keep that in mind.

1 Like

Hey so in my lab run i decided to peek down some stairs. I peeked into a finale room only to my surprise the bots spotted me and ya. Is this a glitch or are security bots able to spot you even though your peeking?

1 Like

Are random NPCs more rare now? Or perhaps don’t spawn on certain starting scenarios? I’m 30 days in with NPCs enabled and haven’t seen one (alive or dead) yet.

They’re much rarer nowadays. You can turn the spawn rate up in the world settings though.

2 Likes

You’ll never see them on default spawn rates. I have mine set to 2. I have no idea why they are set so low by default. May as well default them off at that.

1 Like