Tips, Tricks and Newb Questions: Reborn!

http://cdda-trunk.chezzo.com/rock_large/disassemble
http://cdda-trunk.chezzo.com/rock_large/recipes/CC_OTHER

There’s a lab somewhere with a machine that can build from such template’s. But it will cost you nano-materials which you’ll find in same said labs. I think the best chances of you finding it can be done within the main massive science facility. Can’t recall it’s name; Huge facility with a lot of eldrich beings above it, lots of rooms above ground, etc etc.

Thanks, but In 0.F2 it is very hard to find military and science objects, my char survived maybe a season and a half, but found only one small military installation. I already have found 3 or 4 templates (in banks mostly), but who knows if I ever find a right lab

1 Like

From what I know, there’s only one giant super lab. It will be an above ground building with a massive lab facility below. Bigger than any of the normal lab facilities you usually find.

Speaking of one of a kind. I have a general question I need to clear.

How is the map generation right now? Whilst exploring I came about two Isherwood farm’s with duplicate’s of the same NPCs. Was this a glitch or something to be expected from time to time?

Short answer: It’s known and expected that duplicates appear, but not exactly desirable.

Rambling answer:
It’s a result of the current map generation method. It’s partially intended in order to get the player to actually have a chance to find these places. However, there seems to be some effort to eventually make unique locations either unique or differentiated.

The reason for these places not being truly unique is to allow players to find them even if they start off in the “wrong” direction, which then means that you’ll eventually encounter duplicates if you explore enough, although you can still explore a fair bit without finding some of the places anyway.

Some of these “unique” locations do not really have to be unique as such. The refugee center, for instance, may well be one of many, in which case the issue is really is that you get duplicates of people and quests: if the duplicates could be populated by different people (and possibly without real quests) it wouldn’t seem strange.
There’s been a discussion about this issue fairly recently.

2 Likes

Can I equip my dog with kevlar dog harness?

Care to point towards that discussion?
I’d love to have a read…

No pun intended, but this seams like a unique problem’ that’s going to need a unique solution, to solve both players never finding certain NPC or having to meet their many doppelgangers.

Is this what lead to some of the discussions about creating a new realistic New England map, similar to the way Project Zomboid handles their maps?

Fixed maps are a huuuge step backwards (with two extra-large cans of worms on top).
It’s a very safe bet no one will agree to that, and for a good reason.

Plus, there is a fairly simple solution:
Replace multiple instances of location with some kind of “locator beacon” that simply points to the one “true” location. That “true” location is never generated until after you have activated one of the locator beacon’s, thus ensuring that it can always be generated somewhere in the unexplored area, but reasonably close to the current location.

1 Like

I finally found it: https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/49322

1 Like

I wonder if there is some difference between different kinds of wall building materials? I mean would a log wall be better then adobe wall ( or worse than brick wall) in terms of climate control, scent blocking and so on.

To put it short - does it worth to bother with complex building techniques or it be more effective to build something simple and quick?

Different kinds of walls have different strengths, so it takes longer for zombies to smash through them with stronger materials. Also, some of the building materials generate walls where the “windows” are just half a wall with open space above, which obviously has a worse scent blocking effect.
When it comes to climate control any potential effect would only appear if you have active heating/cooling, as everything above ground has the same temperature otherwise. I don’t know if the insulation effect of different materials is modeled, though (well, open slots rather than windows should allow for a breeze, and thus wind chill).

I don’t think scent blocking is much of an issue, as anywhere you stay for a prolonged period of time is going to be infused with your scent, and any place you stay for longer periods ought to be made sufficiently safe that you can remove any zombies that come to visit (or flee, if you have to).

hm, I’m pretty sure I’ve tried disassembling it. This works, thanks

Is it normal for loudspeacker robot to turn into spinning blade engine after death?

The blades just spin endlessly, and they fucked up wheels on my truck.

Yes, check the log it literally screams that it’s a trap.

Ok, but when I shoot this engine - nothing happens.
Is it some kind of immortal being which also does not need a source of power?

Yeah, it uses no battery. Just spins when tripped. To disarm, walk into it and examine the engine tile. I don’t know how high your perception/dodging/etc have to be, but I tested walking into one over 10 times and was not damaged.

Also, you might want to change JSON so that it disarms into a blade trap and not its components. Otherwise It takes 1h to craft before you can use it again.

2 Likes

Which fuel is more effective - diesel or JP8?
It is easy to find out that gasoline is less effective than diesel, but I cand find any info on JP8.
I used both on my deathmobile and it feels like JP8 is being used faster compared to diesel

The one you can get hold of…

Doesn’t answer the actual question, of course, but a part of the game is to adapt to use whatever you have access to. You’d probably want to acquire as much of both as you can and then use one or the other until you run out / run so low you can’t fill up you vehicle sufficiently and then switch to the other. Eventually you’ll have to switch to bio diesel (if your character/game lasts that long).