Tips, Tricks and Newb Questions: Reborn!

Does smashing down a safe also destroys the stuff inside it?

I believe abuse that’s able to crack a safe open also tends to destroy some or all of the contents, but I can’t swear on it (and I haven’t tried it myself).

1 Like

I usually just (w)ield the lockpick, (A)ctivate it however many times is needed, and re-(w)ield my main item (or nothing) when done. Actually, if I’m in a place that probably has more locks then Z’s, I end up walking around with lockpicks wielded after picking the first one.

IRL picking a lock takes both hands and mental focus. It makes sense that you’d have to empty your hands first to use lockpicks. But then (e)xamine works fine with prying, and using a crowbar to open up a door takes both hands, and sometimes feet.

Maybe each action that has a set of options could be configured by the user with a priority list? Maybe something like angband inscriptions? Sounds complex.

1 Like

Easy solution would be to remove ability to pry doors with pry quality 1, as this is my main gripe after I started to pick locks in seconds and I ditched crowbar from my toolbelt.

Well, you can’t pick the non existent locks of boxes, so working around the auto pry selection when you’ve got a crowbar type item by leaving it behind forces you to go back and fetch it whenever you encounter any boxes.

My preference would be to have 'e’xamine ask you what you want to do if you are capable of more than one interaction (which is what usually happens, but not in this case).

What should happen is that instead of giving the message tool doesn’t have enough leverage to pry locked door, a lockpick should be used as a fallback, preventing the need to scroll through the inventory screen at every failed attempt to activate the lockpick.

1 Like

Yeah exactly
I never try picking locks in combat anyhow so that’d be perfect

Integrated toolset has 1 prying quality, and it’s works just fine for crates (sometimes needs couple of tries) so you don’t need anything with prying quality at all in your inventory.
Btw how is Torso Aloy Plating Is not compatible with my body? Anything I can think of is that have slimy mutation and I’m 146 short.

I don’t think character size affects alloy plating, at least not if it’s not a size change resulting from mutations. Slimy, however, implies a skin that’s secreting the slime, and I believe the plating replaces the skin.

Funny that things that you find in tunnels are more useful than things in most labs. Anyhow how do I power it? Just carry UPS with me?

It’s probably mentioned in the section you have to scroll down to see (after having found out what keys the functionality is bound to: I haven’t managed to remember it). I expect it to be hard to get plutonium batteries, probably some large version.

It says it turns into FCE (on) (UPS) and it doesn’t mention batteries as compatible magazine. And I don’t see it in reload menu. UPS bionic doesn’t work with it so I probably need advanced UPS or power armor interface bionic.

Uh, how do I get out of new 2 overmap tile mine? I saw manhole cover on surface and assumed that there would be exit besides elevator. (Like the ones in stable) Am I stuck without stepladder here now?
Edit: There are 2 variants of mines, one with broken ladders/elevators and one with everything working fine. I wish there were some wooden furniture for me to turn into stepladder, and not having to cheat with another character.

How long do a cow carcass stay fresh. I already took out it’s organs but I am very far from my base with no vehicle. And I still need to make a smoking rack. Is it worth it to haul it back to my base? Would it not be rotten before I could make it to my base and make a smoking rack?

If I recall correctly, it was possible to butcher a moose and smoke it in two lots over two days (3 smoking racks aren’t enough for all that meat).
I wouldn’t haul a cow carcass, but rather butcher it on the spot and carry as much meat as you can with you. If there’s a basement nearby I’d store the remainder there (assuming you’re in spring when days are starting to get hot and thus decay meat faster).
Once at the base, toss the meat into the cellar (you have one of those, don’t you) or a vehicle fridge (or, even better, a mini freezer), build a smoking rack (takes a fair while), smoke the meat you brought (assuming you’ve got charcoal: building that facility as well and run it is probably pointless. In that case I’d try to do what I can with the meat using whatever facilities I had), then go back to pick up a second batch of meat.
Forget the delicious liver and other stuff that decays very quickly (unless you give up on the construction).
As far as I understand, the meat from a carcass inherits the freshness (or lack thereof) from the carcass, so you’re not keeping the meat longer by “storing it” as part of the carcass. Hauling stuff on the ground takes a lot of time compared to just walking weighted down by a full load, so it may well be that you’ve got time to pick up a second load of meat in the same time it would take you to haul the carcass to your “base”.

3 Likes

is there a way to search by an exact string in the crafting search? Like if I want recipes, that use corn, and not irradiated corn or acorns

can large rock be used for anything, except stone quern and anvil(1)? Would be nice to be able to smash it into smaller rocks

I mean, you can just smash the rocks on the ground…

Why Robots for fun and profit skillbook does not have Control Laptop recipe any more? 0.F2 lastest stable, no mods.

Because it was considered overpowered, I believe. However, the alternative is not particularly good: the only source of scrambler grenades is Hub01, and you’d first have to find it and then actually be able to trade with them (a difficult persuasion check).

There are other alternatives when it comes to destruction, but if you want to save prototypes or take over robotic enemies the scrambler grenades seem to be the only alternative.