Tips, Tricks and Newb Questions: Reborn!

Do atomic lamps, pots, coffeemakers and phones still spawn in vanilla 0.F? I know a lot of the futuristic items were purged, and I haven’t found any in the two towns I’ve rummaged through, but I still see them in recipes.

According to the Hitchhiker’s Guide they do, but I’ve never seen any myself. If you can raid a lab, though, centrifuges now have a chance when disassembled to drop 1-4 betavoltaic cells, which are the key component of all “atomic” crafting recipes.

1 Like

I’m playing 0.F stable and I’ve found a few atomic coffeemakers and one lamp; they are rare, though.

Also managed to get a few betavoltaic cells by disassembling machinery in the lab I started in, using them to craft more atomic lamps (I love to have my underground safehouse all lit up).

Make an Atomic Headlamp. They’re awesome.

• Shane

My lab escape character, Roger the Dodger, has both an atomic headlamp and an atomic coffeemaker. He is Too Much Atomic Coffee Man.

What is the best way to restore fatigue? It’s the only thing that’s stopping my melee combat monster with regeneration mutation.

Fatigue is countered by rest. Stand in a corner for 15 minutes to recover completely, or read a book for the same duration (in both cases, I’d recommend either a vehicle or a basement for the activity, as it will also cool you down to help combat the brutal heat build up).

I believe there are certain traits and mutations that can increase the fatigue recovery speed, as well as at least one that deepens the pool (i.e. allows you to go for longer before running out, which also means you have to recover for longer to refill a completely depleted pool).

15 minutes is what I’ve found seems to work, but the exact time might differ somewhat. Also note that you should have your breathing unimpeded (i.e. remove the gas mask [by whatever name] while recovering and try to remember to put it back on before heading back into danger).

How do I install ultica map tiles?

You don’t. :wink: It should already be part of the base game - look in in the options (press ESC and options should be there) under graphics. Choose tileset and scroll through until you get Ultica.

You can even do this in an existing game.

• Shane

Edit: unless you’re talking about overmap tiles in which case it’s a Mod.

I mean the overmap tiles how do I install them. I’m playing on latest stable.

Ahh, that’s a mod. Still part of the base game, though, unless I’m mistaken. During world creation you need to select Graphical Overmap mod. Not sure how to change an existing game, however.

• Shane

In the save folder there is a mods.json. Just edit the mod in.

Also some questions

1. Is there a point to safecracking? (i.e is there anything good found in safes?)
  2. Why doesn’t it train locksmith proficiency? As it’s seemingly impossible with devices above 5 as lockpicking anything takes seconds. And real life locksmiths usually know how to deal with safes, so it would seem logical.
  3. How do I prioritize using lockpicking (hairpins) instead of prying (integrated toolset/crowbar/etc)
  4. What is the point of books that allure to recipes in it, if there are no crafting recipes in it? (I guess PC is just too stupid)
    Like this one: 2XI design binder-CLASSIFIED - The Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead Wiki
  5. How to make sheath/holster/belt loop first choice for storing things that fit there? Or even better, making it automatic for * marked weapons.
  6. Keeping * sheath/holster/belt open for only * weapons would be nice too.
  7. Is there any point for dissecting corpses in current builds?
  8. Why doesn’t ups conversion mod work for light amp googles/mp3 player? I get that factory made mod wasn’t made for mp3 player, why not add makeshift one that’s less efficient but works with anything.

Some tip from me, don’t get interrupted while depositing cash, your atm will eat your money. Edit, it didn’t. Just money from disassembling money bundles doesn’t work for ATM’s this seems wrong.

1 Like
  1. Go into your inventory & activate the hairpin. That’ll make sure you don’t pry it.

I meant when (e)xamining door.

A lot of these are things I’ve wished were in the game/wished I knew how to do myself
But
7. Unless it’s different in the experimentals (which I don’t play) dissecting things like zombie scientists is a good source of CBMs. In fact I found two pretty good ones last night through dissection
Unless I’m wrong, I believe it also gives you a better chance to get specific organs for crafting

Edit: I’m also pretty sure paper money is useless in the game unless you’re burning it
Don’t take my word for it though, that could be incorrect

Not anymore, I found answer in another thread.

And you can (now) deposit money from wallets at ATM with 1% fee.

1 Like

Oh thanks, I guess I’m glad I keep to the stable then
So not even bio operators in the experimentals? Maybe making CBMs a much rarer thing will be good for balancing the mid to late game?

Concerning the lockpick thing, I wouldn’t mind if it tried to pry the door first THEN lockpicked on the second interaction but yeah I really don’t like having to navigate a bunch of menus when I’m trying to pick through a few different doors
Same thing with holstering. The amount of times I’ve accidentally put a tin can in my holster just drives me insane

It just occurred to me. As the lore with bionics is changing to Exodii being the source. How do the zombies end up with them? Most of those people/zombies would be pre-cataclysm to have those. Unless the Exodii were around pre-cataclysm as well?

Also the cyborgs you find in the lab too brings up questions.

I think I need a refresher on the changing lore.

1. There are occasional rare stuff in safes. You could find CBMs (probably no longer, though), artifacts (I think), good weapons (e.g. real katanas, as opposed to cheap imitations), and I think you can also find blueprints and hydrogen cannisters in them, although I’m not sure. The vast majority of them contain various types of junk (money, common weapons, gold, jewelry, etc.).
  2. As mentioned, for whatever reason, the game doesn’t ask you with 'e’xamine, but resorts to prying if that’s an available option (but it does pick locks if prying isn’t available), so you have to 'a’ctivate the lockpicks.
  3. This book should probably be removed as a result of the CBM background rework.
  4. It appears to retain very little use. It can train the Health skill very marginally, and I believe some zombies can yield “organs” that have some limited use. Given the CBM rework, zombies shouldn’t provide those at all (although I think they still do, to a reduced extent), and cyborgs don’t make sense (either alive or as sources for CBMs through dissection).