Tips, Tricks and Newb Questions: Reborn!

Only issue is there’s only the lab tracks underground to make use of. Surface tracks are absent I think.

The only surface tracks I’ve seen are toy ones. There are train stations, but no rails coming out from them (which is a blessing, as you can’t cross the tracks with vehicles since they act as solid obstacles).

1 Like

lab tracks?
I don’t really care about surface rail, I’m fine with subway

The subway and lab tracks are the same, functionally, just being located at different depths (and some labs are on the subway track [as well or instead]).

Supposedly tracked vehicles have trouble with merging/diverging tracks, but I’ve never used one myself (never found one and never built one). Using other kinds of vehicles down there is a royal pain because of the limited room and the hard boundaries caused by the tracks. In 0.E2 stable I made a powered 3*6 vehicle, and I had to smash tracks at every bend to get it through, and in addition to that, it turned differently in reverse than it did forwards, so it was possible to have to smash further tracks to return.
In 0.F stable I’ve used a foldable 2 tile bicycle, and I still have major issues with turns (and I literally spent hours to try to get to a target lab along a long twisting track, only to find that the lab didn’t have any station to the tracks, despite it passing 3 tiles away.

the game should pivot entirely to trains. Cars are for losers :stuck_out_tongue:

You mean the losers that venture to places where the tracks don’t run, such as places not overrun by zombies?

exactly. The only acceptable ways of transportation are trains, bicycles and walking.

1 Like

Well, the ponies are too small for riding, but steam engines aren’t exactly great when it comes to carbon emission, can be used in cars, and it probably doesn’t matter if the few remaining scattered survivors release as much carbon dioxide as they can in a world that’s completely doomed by the blob anyway. And, by the way, the totalitarian “green” regimes that mandated it went the same way as the rest of the governments.

Ive been alternating from crafting for a whole day and looting a nearby city. And I have noticed that I get more weary when crafting than when I’m looting and killing zombies for a day? Why is that?

Additional question:
Can I zoom out the map? If yes, how?

You can zoom in the map with the z key if you have overmap tiles enabled

Most crafting is medium activity, while I would expect looting to be light (picking up and carrying stuff while walking, without overloading yourself). Running is strenuous, as is melee combat, while ranged combat is “free” in 0.F stable (nerfing it has been discussed, but I don’t know if it’s been introduced in experimental yet).

Electric trains are a thing. And in terms of mass long distance transit trains are kinda OP. But yes, the apocalypse makes all of this moot.

As far as I know electric trains rely on the electricity being delivered to them using infrastructure that’s no longer operational after the apocalypse. Given the magic tech in the game storage batteries might work, though, but you’d probably have some significant voltage transformation work ahead of you (and, of course, diesel trains are still used).

that’s true. But in situations other than zombie apocalypse, they are fairly great. Like in case of the actual apocalypse aka climate change.

Anyway, I’m mostly goofing and yes, it makes sense to use whatever the heck, when the humanity is already mostly dead, so whatevs. Trains are still cool tho

I agree trains have use cases in the current world, but like every other means of transport, they can’t fulfill all roles in a reasonable manner. And in the current world it doesn’t really matter if the trains are electric when the power is generated by coal (as is the case in many parts of the world).

it sorta does, because the energy efficiency of a train is pretty high, relative to other methods of transit.
And sure, they can’t fill all the roles, but they can fill a lot of them

Is there a way to get oversized NPCs to stop complaining about not being able to fit inside of a vehicle, maybe by removing the roof or something?

I’m worried this 30 strength NPC is going to get fed up one day and mutiny his fist into my sleeping skull.

How do I enable overmap tiles?

It’s an option in experimental under graphics settings, right under where you select a tileset

You will also have to import and install the tiles from the source using the instructions. I failed when trying.