Tips, Tricks and Newb Questions: Reborn!

One possibility is, since PC and all adequately sized NPC are carriers, the infected but alive animals, and infected, deceased, and revivified humans could just ignore each other, untill resistant PC gets close, switching Zs into riot mode.
It’s not perfect fit, since it doesn’t mesh with animals to small to be carriers, but… shrug

Everyone is affected by the blob, but it’s only ferals that are “converted” while still alive. Everyone else won’t be converted until they die, so there’s no room for peaceful coexistence until the PC shows up. However, once one human dies, it will be revived and attack the others. Even if it’s struck down, it will be revived and attack again, gradually wearing the survivors down and converting them into zombies eventually, snowballing the process. Presumably the humans locked themselves in with one of them dying of injuries sustained, and it would then attack everything else (including the animals).

I have no answer to this, but I’ve been playing with 25% spawn rate. Now population centres have about the right amount of zombies.

Thanks. I drew the same conclusion, and ended up with trying 20%. What I’m worried about, though, is that it might be the group spawn rate that’s affected, while I would like to retain the group rate but reduce the groups size (and I don’t know if I should have gone for 25% instead).

Edit: By the way, I tried to reduce the item spawn rate to 25%, but found that it resulted in very few rocks around (as the very first weapon), and a lot fewer stout branches (as the second weapon). Both of these are used in crafting as well. I wanted to reduce the glut of stuff at spawn, but not really the spawn rate.

Edit 2: I believe I’ve seen side effects of the spawn rate reduction: A dairy farm with a single cow and a horse farm without horses and an empty chicken coop…

Edit 3: A completely different question: I’ve found the Isherwood farm for the first time, but as I tried to approach I was attacked by their pigs, retreated into the car before they reached me and left. Is that supposed to happen, and, if so, how can you approach them without having to fight their livestock?

Edit 4: Another unrelated question: How do I destroy roach eggs? Smashing doesn’t work, 'a’ctivate causes the character to eat them (which does destroy them, of course…), you can’t 'B’utcher them? Lighting a fire on their tile seems to work, but it’s a waste of lighter fuel and a potential hazard (if the fire spreads to other tiles). Is there a good way to get rid of the future spawn?

I’ve run into the same issue, now under Blaze Industries on the latest experimental.

I have a ‘vehicle refrigerator’ as an item laying on the ground, but the recipe is under the construction menu and apparently requires ‘vehicle refrigerator’ as a “terrain”. I have no idea how to turn a vehicle refrigerator into a “terrain” since there appears to be no recipe under the construction menu. I thought it meant I’d have to mount it onto a car but that doesn’t open up any new options, and it doesn’t change the ‘vehicle refrigerator’ component from staying red.

I can craft and install ‘vehicle refrigerator’ with no issue, but the “Convert Vehicle Fridge to Freezer” construction recipe appears bugged maybe.

If the implementation is the same as in previous-version Aftershock, you have to convert the fridge to a freezer before unmounting it from terrain. There’s no way to convert it back.

I’m trying to get that to work in my fork of Aftershock (it seems to have been removed from the current version), but I haven’t been able to make it work at all in the construction menu in 0.F, so for the time being I’ve just made it a regular recipe. It still takes 3 fridges to make 1 freezer, all the other requirements are the same (except crafting time), only the process is different. IIRC there was some logical reason for implementing it the way they did, but I don’t recall what it was.

Run the eggs over with a vehicle? That seems to get rid of unwanted stuff.

Thanks. Yes, that should work (once you have a vehicle and carry the filth outside for destruction).

Yep, thank you, this is exactly right. Is there a way to ‘mount’ a fridge after you take it down? That process seems irreversible, so you can end up inadvertently locked out of a vehicle freezer and not realize why (which is what happened to the user I replied to more than a year ago).

As far as I know, it was deliberately made irreversible for some reason or other. I saw some mention of it in the Aftershock thread.

Is there a way to auto harvest crops now? It used to work in previous versions where crops were just items on the ground (if I recall correctly), but now they need a character to interact with it directly. Auto foraging doesn’t do anything for crops, even when set to ‘everything’. It forages bushes, trees, and cattails, but won’t touch farm crops.

Is there a way to harvest crops automatically?

Crops were never items on the ground, unless you mean that fields used to have items on the ground instead of crops.
You can use zone functions to auto harvest/plant/fertilize crops.

Is the Isherwood cat quest broken in 0.F stable?

I managed to catch a cat that was trapped in a building, but carrying it in the supplied cage didn’t register as quest fulfillment, nor did releasing the cat first and then talking to Claire.
I found the quest actually has a quest marker, but the cats there flee as my character approach (and every cat I’ve seen does, at a long distance, at that), so they’re impossible to catch. I don’t have any animal trait/mutation that would cause them to like/fear me, so that shouldn’t be a factor.

Now that CBMs were removed from zombies (and apparently banks also), how can I get new CBMs? Only from exodii? Is it by dissecting them? Also, how do I find my new interdimmensional cyborg best friends?

@DickWarlord I don’t actually KNOW the answer, but given that the Exodii is supposed to be a faction that’s not hostile by default, I would expect you to (eventually) be able to get CBMs from them either by trade or quests (or both). Depending on whether installation can be performed without Exodii info, you may or may not also be able to get them from Exodii corpses, but I wouldn’t expect them to be particularly happy if you went about doing that, even if you weren’t actually the one killing it (I’m assuming they’ve got a psychology somewhat aligned with humanity here, which may not be correct).

Finding them: Again, I don’t know, but expect they’d have some bases like the Mi-go do. In addition they probably roam around, in particular in the vicinity of their equipment drops (which might actually potentially contain CBMs).

Also note that I don’t know if Exodii will show up in upgraded games when exploring new areas, or if you’d have to start a new game to encounter them. As far as I understand the faction is still under development, so even if they do appear, they’ll probably be rather bare bones as a faction.

Now for my own question: Do wild boar produce piglets, and, if so, can those be tamed the same way ordinary piglets can (it can be noted that I haven’t seen offspring of any animals except egg layers either in 0.E2 stable or 0.F stable, so I haven’t actually done that)?

Answer to my question (that nobody else answered): The JSON files have wild boar offspring specified, and those do not have any XFOOD string assigned to them, so they presumably reproduce and presumably aren’t possible to tame.

I’ve found a word “Zomborgs” somewhere on this forum. Supposed to be a CBM source

Found some Exodii inbetween cities. Both times they were confined to their camp site and didn’t chase from half-map away - harmless if you don’t approach too close.
If they have a ‘big boy’ Exodii on-site - stay away, car or .50 - otherwise it will insist that you start new character.
That being said - it was worth/interesting it to raid their supplies cache.
Had low skill for CBM extraction, so didn’t get anything, if that is even possible.

Lab rooms and creatures in the labs that carry CBMs in inventory.
Have more CBMs that I know what to do with from 2 cleared labs (15 or so)… but not a single auto-doc to install them.

I’m having trouble to understand damage in some cases:

• Fighting bandits (Refugee Center quest): Hitting a bandit with a shot claimed to cause 50 HP damage just nicks he enemy, and 300-500 HP seems to be required.
  • The Warehouse Spider is silly: a 50 HP shot does nothing, and emptying a magazine into one to bring it down to a single bar with 2-4 Heavy Arterial Bleeding wounds still causes them to just continue on until those bleeding wounds close up. This bugger is listed as having 45 HP in the CDDA item browser, so something is up (on the other hand it’s also marked as HARDTOSHOOT, but they’re as easy as a barn side to hit).

I could imagine the damage to the humans might be offset by their armor (they did have a fair bit), but the spider is listed as having 1-2 points.
Can someone tell me what’s up here?

Can’t speak to the spiders situation, but I’m pretty sure NPC’s have segmented health like the player. So that 5-600 HP is 100 spread across the usual count of human extremities. So whatever part you did hit is probably hurting, but unless it was the chest or head, thats not gonna kill 'em, much like you.