Tips, Tricks and Newb Questions: Reborn!

There are 2 more ways to check vehicle tiles capacity:

• Using examine vehicle interface. It will show current/max capacity of each part on current tiles in parts list.
  • Using e’x’tended description mode. Again, focusing on vehicle tile will tell current/max capacity.
    But if you want to check what exactly is inside then yes, it is either AIM or 'g’et items.

Jumper cable, or the much longer heavy duty cable. Can be attached across z-levels, even.

Have a very handy tip here, sewers are a great way to traverse cites without having to deal with hundreds upon hundreds of Zs. There are a few critters in there, but nothing you can’t handle. Makes a big difference when you only want to hit up a few key spots (banks, antiques, dojo). They align with the roads, forming neat, liner grids.

In my case (latest experimental) I had to be wielding a prying tool (extended toolset does the trick, along with more obvious options like crowbars). Choose the “pry” option upon activation to pop that manhole.

I cannot emphasize enough how handy this is, combine it with the occasional roof scramble and you can negotiate cities (and lose hordes) with ease. Also handy to beat the summer heat. Your options in cities have grown significantly since I last played cdda.

1 Like

Yeah, should be an option under blacklist/balance

A bunch of vehicle related questions:

1. I found an unharmed engine on the road, picked it up, and placed it on the horse drawn carriage. While it worked with that rather small engine (still overloading my character), larger ones would be impossible to lift and thus drop onto a transport. If I understand it correctly, a crane or a fork lift can lift heavy things, but can there also move them sideways (pick up and drop onto transport)? Not that I have any of those yet, so I can’t test…
  2. I’ve tried my first (inadvertent) car crash (without the car being inoperable, fortunately). I’d like to be able to run into enemies intentionally (at the moment web spiders and black widows, but a moose wouldn’t be out of the question if possible). I understand panels act as armor, but I think the frame itself might be an issue as well (I know weight vs engine power is an issue).
    2a. For instance, what can I hit without injury with various frames and various speeds, and does panels take all the damage until destroyed, or is a part of the force propagated to the frame, so it has to have a certain amount of strength to cope?
    2b. Is it an effective tactic to run into enemies, or will they just take minor damage while ripping the vehicle to shreds (I’ve seen something about hulks, which I presume are some kind of extra tough super zombies, but for the time being I’m aiming at much more normal targets)?
    2c. If I hit a creature with a vehicle, will the victim be thrown aside, or will the vehicle just stop abruptly regardless of the creature size?
  3. How would a vehicle work in forests? I’ve seen mentions of ATVs but my experience so far has been a complete inability to even flatten a bush, instead being blocked by it.
    3b. How would you even be able to move a vehicle in forests, with all the trees and the weird movement pattern of vehicles?
  4. I tried to mount a horse, and was told my character (carrying lots of junk) was too heavy. Are horses useful for anything other than light scouting (they move through forests on their own without any visible difficulty, so I assume they will while carrying a human as well)?

Edit: Something completely different: How do you actually craft an anvil? I’ve got the recipe, and immediately when starting an in progress anvil dropped to the ground, as it was too heavy. I dragged it to a table and managed to drop it onto it, but can’t activate the in progress item because it’s too heavy. It’s possible to pick it up, get knocked down (on top of the table) and craft there, but it takes forever (seems like it will take about two days, rather than the nominal 4 hours). That’s obviously silly, so there must be a reasonable way to craft very heavy items (starting next to the table would probably have worked, but it’s too late for that…).

I have not played in a while but I don’t seem to get my battery system working It says does not have enough fuel to start Even though I have multiple different kind of batteries in my inventoryis when I press E on the batteries it says they don’t look edibele I can’t activate either
how does it work i am confused I just realized that this is not maybe the right place to post my wead questions Maybe someone give me a link to where I am supposed to be

1. Engines are one of the very heavy items in the game that will overload most characters. Cranes, Forklifts and other lifting equipment only help you install engines (and other vehicle parts). If you have to move them you should do it by either dragging them or using the advanced inventory manager.

2. Ramming into monsters is viable, and spiders and bugs are very safe to ram in my experience as long as you take care not to allow them in while turning. Armor (the many types of plating, shock absorbers, and rebar grating) will make ramming safer, but comes with the downside of making your car heavier, and thus eat more fuel.
    2a. Ramming anything with light or extra light frames is a bad idea. Damage to vehicle parts will propagate from the crash point and may damage or even destroy nearby parts. This is why it is a good idea to keep frail parts (solar panels ect.) or vital parts like the engine in the back of your car.
    2b. As I said before, driving over enemies is a very effective way to kill them but you must remember that:
    Your car will take damage from ramming in almost any case so be sure you can either repair it or use a throwaway car.
    Always have a seatbelt or better yet, a 5-point harness in the drivers seat or else you risk flying out though the windshield and getting crushed.
    Driving faster obviously kills stuff faster, driving too fast will also kill you too, but driving too slow is not going to accomplish anything. I find 40 - 60 km/h to be the optimal speed for ramming regular enemies.
    2c At low speeds your vehicle will stop, at high speeds you will fling almost any enemy away that survives the collision.

3. Vehicle don’t drive through forests. If you need to cross a small (1 or 2 tiles wide) strip of a forest you can burn it down, otherwise you will have to go around it. Bushes are indeed something you should avoid running into at all costs as those deal lots of damage and can be fatal. Running into monsters is much safer than driving into a bush.

4. Horses used to be ridiculously OPed and got nerfed to only be useful for scouting. They do let you travel through the forest quicker than on foot, although some tiles that you could cross on foot become impassable while riding.

To deal with your anvil woes, drop the anvil on the table, then 'e’xamine the table and choose “work on craft” in the menu that pops up.

Ah, thanks.

Since I lack the means to repair vehicles (apart from some minor ability to replace parts with scavenged ones), it seems I’ll have to do without ramming for the time being, and then I guess the front tiles should be a heavy steel frame.

Not being able to go through a forest with an “all terrain” vehicle sucks. In my case it means I can’t get to my next target in a reasonable manner (using a vehicle), as the only road goes through the main(?) city, and I’m able to deal with only a very small number of zombies at a time. Apart from the road, it seems open terrain works fine for vehicles as long as you avoid the killer shrubs and boulders, but the only path through such terrain goes near fungi (which I think are dangerous) and a moose (which probably can be avoided). Thus, it looks like I’ll have to lug everything I take manually (assuming, of course, I manage to deal with the zombies in that minor town).

I assume the game doesn’t have hovercraft that would allow you to pass over shrubs and boulder, as well as water (but not trees, of course, so it would not nothing to help with forests)?

I did finish the blasted anvil in a bit short of two days, but ran into what I think is a bug when crafting the wrench (my target, as that’s required for most any vehicle modification): I started crafting too late in the day, so it was cut off by darkness (ironically, I might have been able to succeed if I’d chosen a table with a better location). When trying to continue the next day I got a message that the acetylene torch doesn’t have enough fuel, although it should have for the part that’s left (recipe calls for 80, it has 24, and the wrench is 89% finished), so I assume the check is for the complete recipe, not the remaining part.

You should be fine driving through them as long as you don’t get any of the spores on your skin. No melee combat with any fungus monsters, and avoid the clouds of spore floating around and you should be fine.

I wouldn’t actually get near enough for that, but if I understand it correctly, getting near them causes them to expand their territory, and they’re only about 25 tiles away from my “base” (I’ve also seen a Mi-Go tower that I don’t want to get close to either).

Animals in game don’t have gender. Breeding requires a pair of animals. Chickens #1 - #4 are producing eggs because they form 2 pairs. Get another chicken and #5 will start producing eggs (along with #6).

I’m pretty sure that isn’t how it works in CDD:A, here is a quote on animal breading from one of the active developers:

Unless things have changed since then you don’t need pairs for animals to breed.

1 Like

Could have sworn I saw a post saying that pairs are required, but I can’t find any such post now. So, I stand corrected.

The non egg laying one did eventually start to lay eggs, but I’m not sure if that was before or after I added another chicken. Thanks for the answers.

Never been a rifle user in my 6+ years of playing CDDA, so I’ll ask here.

What’s your favorite 5.56 rifle? I’m looking for a rifle that’ll suit my needs on clearing out towns since I just bagged around 3k+ 5.56 NATO ammunition and I’ve been looking for the best 5.56 rifle I can get my hands on.

Clearing out towns with melee is getting a bit boring, I got tired of using cutting weapons and maxing out the skill gains, got tired of piercing weapons, got tired of bashing weapons. I want to use rifles now, and maybe branch out to more fun firearms.

So I’ve been using the M4A1 with some attachments, but I’ve been peeking at the item browser and from what I can tell the FN-SCAR L seems like a superior choice.
The M27 IAR doesn’t look quite as good as my M4, and I haven’t found any M16’s (or SCARs for that matter).

I might use the M249 that I have just for a couple fun spray downs or even mounting it to my car if I ever get the chance.

Also, I’ve been having issues with my flamethrower, and apparently it says I “don’t have any compatible magazines” despite it not using magazines to my knowledge. No amount or differentiating fuels work, so I don’t think I can use the flamethrower for ground use, and I think I’ll just mount it on my vehicle for now, until a solution comes out.

It has been totally dysfunctional for a few weeks. You’re supposed to be able to (E)at them but that stopped working a couple dozen builds back. Latest builds may fix it, just waiting on them to compile successfully. I think some battery/magazine/pocket changes broke the battery CBM in more ways than one, which is (I assume) why it seems to be taking multiple patches to fix it.

For a while they didn’t show up in (E)at menu, now the do but game says they’re inedible. Fwiw I remember getting that message before but you’d absorb charges anyways.

1 Like

I accidentally set stealing items from npcs to “nEver” in a world is there anyway to undo that

Oh I wasn’t aware you needed a pair to lay eggs. That explains why my closet duck didn’t ever lay any eggs. Maybe I was just too impatient before beat it to death for a snack.

How long is a reproduction cycle.

‘?’ -> ‘toggle thief mode’. Set the key and switch between modes with it.

1 Like

As I said above you don’t actually need pairs to breed animals, at least not yet.

Reproduction cycles vary by specious, chickens lay eggs faster than ducks, ducks lay them faster than turkeys and so on.

1 Like