Tips, Tricks and Newb Questions: Reborn!

-1. Unless you make some noise, no. They could still move in your direction randomly or by smell.
-3. Yes. Just make sure when they deal with zombie(s) they won’t switch to you next *cough* moose *cough*
-4. you can tiptoe around the fight, eyebot will be too busy trying to deal with zeds to look at you. there are other !fun! things inside prisons, though…
-5. civilian clothing have negligible amount of armor value so while technically it would give you some bonus, the amount of it would be effectively 0. And anyway, if you manage to kill a zombie with some armor then you probably can do it 2nd time with no lees trouble anyway.

You’re lucky! It works exactly like that for me, sadly…

1 Like

Cookies have that effect on me as well. However, you have a point that there is some fluctuations, but they settle pretty quickly. And I really don’t think they make the hunger system too difficult for people to use, more of a slight annoyance that happens as you actually eat.

1: In my experience, its easy to slowly get closer to a group, then have one or 3 notice you, aggro, and then you can pull them away to safe distance. You really shouldn’t need anything special to make that happen.

3: Things that are default aggressive to you will also be default aggressive to zombies. This includes dangerous wildlife, like moose, and giant chicken-walking kill bots that can snipe you from across the map. Keep in mind that other creatures will not pulp zombies for you unless they happen to do enough reg damage to splatter them around. Trying to make non-hostile critters, like raccoons, attack zombies won’t really work. At best, the non-hostiles will run the zombies around till the zombie gets too far away from animal and stop caring.

4: Police bots are a pain in the ass unless you have a shotgun around to start shooting them. I would suggest avoiding the eyebot at all cost. Technically it won’t take your picture to summon police unless you attack it or property its guarding (like breaking windows), but don’t chance it unless you know exactly what you are doing. Keep in mind that just because the zombie is attacking something else, doesn’t mean it won’t change its mind and go after you instead.

5: When zombies rise they do drop all equipped items. But they do spawn with a lack of hitpoints that takes more days to heal. Typically one or two more hits will redrop it when fresh enough.

Thanks, GiggleGrassGatherer and gtgiygus.

1. Good. Getting swamped is bad… Getting exactly one seems difficult (I’ve gotten 1-3).
  2. Well, the plan would be not to be too close when that happens, and I was thinking more about things like reasonably large dogs or cougars.
  3. There are more bots than known zombies, and I didn’t really intend to go inside as I’d expected more interesting things than I can handle inside. There’s a corpse with a rifle or something like that close to the fence, though… Given gtgiygus’ response I’ll continue to skirt the whole thing.
  4. So I’ve noticed, but until I get hold of, or am able to make, something better, the feeble civilian clothes will have to be used to provide as much protection I can get out of them without getting too encumbered… It’s really useful to know revived zombies are weakened.

Getting exactly one will be difficult, but 3 reg zombies should be OK if you went in with full stamina. Remember to hit " \ " after each fight and “wait until you catch your breath” after each encounter.

About your #4 here. I won’t spoil anything for you unless you ask specifically. But I will let you know, as you may already, that you automatically learn certain recipes as your skills level up. Check your crafting menu “&” to see what you already know. Armor and weapon tab, specifically.

Even if you don’t have the required ingredients right by you, (it will be grayed out, instead of white) a lot of crafting materiel can be found pretty easy by getting creative with basic, low level buildings, like houses.

They kind of are, which is why it has been a long time since I tamed one. However, a mechanic has been added that will allow you play with your pets for a morale gain. You’re right though, a tame dog is much better than a hostile one.

If, in doing so, you also get close enough to the others to aggro them, yes.

By itself this doesn’t help. Before you kill a zombie for the first time it doesn’t have any clothing or items. These are randomly generated when a zombie dies. All zombies of a given type have the same armor values and these will be the same when they revive.

However:

I did not know this. Thanks, gtgiygus.

Thanks to both of you (and it’s good when answers have the side effect of spreading info to others).
Dogs: Ah, so that’s what playing is for. Good to know: I’ll try it, although morale isn’t my problem: focus is…

Clothing: Ah, so that’s why I can’t see what the have before fighting them. Somewhat disappointing…

Stamina: Yes, I had to learn about stamina on the first day when getting attacked by a Kreck (if that’s the name). Retreated to an LMOE shelter, closed the door, rested up, opened, fought, went back in, rested… quite a few times before actually hitting the thing enough times to kill it.

#4: Yes, I vigorously check the crafting menu, but still appreciate the help.

Getting material: It’s a learning curve. First finding out that you can smash to things, then that you can Disassemble some thing, then that you can cut up things you can’t disassemble, then that you can deconstruct from the building menu (not to mention removing parts from vehicles, which seems to differ from Deconstruction in that it provides the part and doesn’t cause damage to it [I think “XX” status things result in parts, though]). Also, smashing things apparently requires items which cause sufficient damage (I guess bashing, but logically something like an axe would be useful as well).
Leather is the main material I lack currently, and I’ve read you can get that from car seats, but without any tools with a wrench effect (turning, or whatever it was called) I can’t remove them.
While it’s easy to say that you can get things from houses, finding houses not surrounded by hordes of zombies isn’t easy: I’ve found two houses and two LMOE shelters, plus the farm I’m holed up in that had 4 zombies on it (one of which was taken care of by the local dogs).

And another animal question: I’ve got 5 chicken, 4 of which lay eggs, and one which doesn’t (they’re tied down to keep them from running around where they shouldn’t be). That seems to imply the non egg laying one would actually be a rooster, and if that’s the case it really ought to be tied up in the center with the hens around it, but I assume impregnation isn’t a thing in the game (web searches indicate eggs should hatch after 2 weeks, and getting some chicken meat can’t be bad)?

XX status is “totally, utterly broken”. It is a vehicle part in name only, that’s why removing it results in some of its materials or components.

If you’re playing regular start (i.e. starting in Spring) you may think on relocating to LMOE for summer. The heat will get to you otherwise.

And, on chickens: no, they just lay eggs by themselves.

Yes, it’s as regular a start I can get. Didn’t seem to be wise to try to learn juggling before I can walk… LMOEs are a pain in that it’s dark in them, which I assume means either doing things outside or get some light sources up in them, and since it seems only vehicles can use and produce electricity that’s messy (I’ve tried reading in the light of a miner’s helmet, and that used up a significant part of the battery charge. I’ve also found a hand charger, but when I finally found some batteries that could be charged I ended up locked in cranking the damned thing for most of the day to charge the battery, and failed to find a way to interrupt it (with the mandatory hunger and thirst indications).

Heat is already an issue though, in particular when geared up in fighting gear.

Yes, helmets/ lamp use quite a bit of electricity. IMO, better options are:

Hobo option: a candle.
Better option: electric lantern. Not oil lamp, the thing guzzles fuel like there’s no tomorrow.
Epic option: atomic lamp.

You can also use heavy-duty cables to link electrical systems on the outside (solar panels on top of LMOE mini-hill) and the inside of the shelter, where you can install some lights on a vehicle “chassis” (any frame will do).

Ah, interesting!

I’d thought shelter solar panels were useless except as a source of solar panels for vehicles. I guess for a good shelter solution you ought to have batteries on the frame as well, to allow light even when there’s none outside?
This also opens up the option of building a base where you’ve actually got the things inside, rather than on an immobile chassis outside.

Funnily enough, my current problem is with vehicles: I’d assumed everything was wrecked, and so have remove whatever I could from the nearby ones, but I got suspicious when I saw that little was damaged on a couple of vehicles at a camping site, including a luxury RV with a lot of really useful stuff in it. And so I tried to start the RV, and it did work (rear mirrors removed, and apparently the dashboard isn’t critical), but I can’t move it, because it crashes into some serious obstacles in the form of heavy brush when reversing, and I think I need to remove a couple of small trees as well (the kind you can walk through). The problem is, though: how do I remove those serious obstacles? My guess is that I somehow have to cut things down/level them, possibly cut grass or remove grass (I’ve got a sickle and a shovel at the “base”, so I’ll fetch those and try). The small trees couldn’t be cut down by a wood saw, though.

It can be mentioned that I’ve managed to drive a hatchback back from the camping site to my “base”, so I think I’ve gotten a basic handle of the driving controls (although they’re behaving oddly). Also, I loaded some really heavy stuff into the hatchback, in the form of a couple of windows (taken from the restroom building), and a bunch of large tents I’d taken down, and things crashed through the seats onto the pavement, despite the volume being well below the one stated for the vehicle (I don’t see a weight one), so I assume the seats each have individual carrying capacity, probably reduced by damage?

Small trees and bushes can be "s"mashed. Wield a weapon or tool with high bashing to give you a boost and bash down all the obstacles in the way of your RV. The only other “reasonable” (?) way to get rid of them is by burning them down.

You are correct that each vehicle tile has its own capacity, visible in the vehicle menu by hovering over each individual tile. While many vehicle parts preform worse when damaged, storage containers suffer no penalty from damage (unless it gets destroyed in a wreck and all your precious loot falls out). Also, weight limits do exist but are hard to achieve unless the engine is damaged.

Thanks again.
Yes, I just realized smashing might be an option, and it did work (although a saw probably wasn’t the best tool for that job…).

A hostile one is volunteering to become sinew, bones, leather and meat. Good meat, not like the crap the mutants have. And it’s easy to properly butcher unlike an adult deer or something of similar size.

Well, there are still things on immobile chassis outside. Solar panels and optionally batteries. Everything else could be inside. You’d still have to mount lights, kitchen units, rechargers, autoclaves, etc. on vehicle frames because currently this is the only way to make electric appliances work. There’s not even working “static” versions of them, only vehicle parts. It may change in the future but currently the only way is to make a pseudovehicle and mount things on it.

Yes, but if indoor pseudo vehicles can be connected to outdoor solar panel bearing pseudo vehicles it would definitely open up some options, even if it’s weird from a logical perspective.

Any way to shut off bionic slots in the newer builds? I ported over an old character and I’d like to have that infinite bionic slots that weren’t built in on the previous builds.

The way you are wording this makes me feel you are misunderstanding the vehicle examination screen. On the screen with the little car picture, it does list the current volume vs. max volume, as well as vehicle mass. However, each vehicle TILE ITSELF (such as a seat, trunk, sideboard or aisle) has its own volume limit, that when exceeded causes the items to start dropping on the ground. Those individual limits = the max limit, but its the items being placed on the tile itself that matter. This is why there are such things as trunks, floortrunks, and stow boards. You actually need to have special carrying capacity tiles to carry things.

Mass, on the other hand, does nothing to storage. But, the more mass the car is carrying, the worse it preforms on car stuff like off-road efficiency, acceleration, and i believe gas mileage.

What happened was, the seat you were putting the windows on only had a limit of 6.25 liters, and your giant windows far exceeded that. The amount each tile can handle will be shown with the “advanced inventory management screen” which is " / ". Remember you can hit the “v” key to switch back and forth between the vehicle tile, and the ground tile when they share the same direction.

Ah, so you’d need the advanced inventory management to look at individual vehicle tiles. I would never have guessed that. Also, it makes little logical sense that my companion, carrying that window, can sit in the seat, but not the window by itself, but I guess that’s a quirk of the system. The ‘v’ key hint is useful as well. Thanks for that.
And I guess I can (ab)use the system in the opposite direction by “storing” (modest amounts of) stuff in the seat tiles my character and companion sit in (awfully uncomfortable in real life, of course).