Tips, Tricks and Newb Questions: Reborn!

But if you are the player, just a towel and you are good as new. :stuck_out_tongue:
“That’s why we have brains, b**ches!”

is possible to survive on farming?, i was looking on the seeds json, and most of them takes 91 days to be harvestable :s

It is, but you need to plant a lot of crops, and you need to have enough food to survive the growing period. Your best served going hunting/scavenging for food over that growth period. Welcome to the joys of subsistance agriculture :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I’d even say farming is kinda OP currently. Yes, there’s excess of food in kitchens in 0.E but farming gives so much food it’s ridiculous, and the best thing? you don’t even need to actually care for dem plantz. Just plant the seeds and go fight zombies or read books or build deathmobiles/fortresses - do whatever you want. No need for irrigation, no need for pest control, no need for nothing, they just grow by themselves. Then return and reap x5 or more of what you saw. Effing amazing. If only it worked like this IRL…

to be fair, making crops be too high-upkeep would make farming completely suck and be interminably annoying

1 Like

Just reduce the amount you get when you harvest them if you didn’t take care of them so that having a few crops around or a small vegetable garden is still worth it for the extra food and variety in your diet that it gives but it isn’t your primary source of calories if you don’t spend a large amount of time farming. The expectation being if you use mechanized farming with a vehicle or have a group of followers to do it for you (gives a use for those followers with bad states and traits).

is there a guide to add mutations?, i cant seem to find it in the docs for adding new content

There is no guide as far as I know, but that is likely because many mutations are hardcoded. You can make some mutations with only JSON edits (see any mutation mod), but will be restricted to mostly stat changing mutations (including armor, encumbrance, limiting equipment, traditional stats, resource regen/consumption rate and so on) and unarmed attacks.

Pretty much anything else will need C++ knowledge.

1 Like

You can do a lot of stuff with spells these days, but I don’t know anything about spells so I haven’t written a section on it.

yeah i wanted something different from spells, i heard if you make books to learn them, you need to use the skill spellcraft too in said mod, other ways it shows as a “none” when you gain a level. but yeah, i figured out that with the spell code now in effect i would just be giving my self more work if a go the mutation way

How do I charge batteries with a solar backpack?

iirc you only need to have unloaded batteries on your backpackk, while you wear your solar backpack in the sun.

But maybe is another bug if you are using a version with nested containers

Okay, I’m trying nested containers, and I got a question. So, 'i’nsert menu alows me to choose where to put things but only shows things already in inventory and under my feet.
AIM allow access to adjacent tiles but decides what goes where by itself.
But is there a way to pick up stuff not from under your feet(or your inventory) into worn container of your choice?

e: and another thing. Survivor harness seems wonky atm.

1. It says max item length is 282mm but allows holstering, for example, RM11B scout rifle which is obviously bigger than that.
  2. When there is a weapon in it it doesn’t allow putting anything else in it despite still having free space in a pocket. Maybe it should say “only allows 1 weapon” in description?
  3. This screen is shown when you select “holster” in its activate menu
    cataclysm-tiles_2020_06_02_21_17_11_761
    Probably should say “there are no compatible items in your inventory”. It definitely isn’t empty.
  4. “activate” is shown in red for some reason despite it being select-able and activate-able.

idk if I should make a bug report or I just don’t understand how it all work…

Is there a place to browse vehicle pieces outside of the vehicle construction menu? Can’t find a tag or anything on CDDA Item browser. Trying to figure out what my options are for non-turret vehicle ramming weapons are.

i think the only weapons a vehicle can have beside turrets, are rams, spiked rams, heavy duty frame to use like rams (like making a defense chassis)

But aside from that nothing, sometime when im in a bicycle (or a vehicle that allows it) y fire my slingshot (or weapon of preference) iirc you can use the reach attack from a spear too (like justing :D!)

I believe there’s things that can be used as weapons, like various farming attachments? also you can attach spikes and blades

A part with spiked plating will also cause 150% damage in collisions; roller drums have a 500% damage rating and can be used in place of rams, but they are very heavy and have terrible offroad performance.
Shredders also have a 500% damage, can be placed just like rams and have pretty sturdy; they are somewhat difficult to make though (you need 9 blades for each).

I was planning on using the Shredders, but was looking for more options, ty. Will have to figure out the chains and blades, I want a small, light, electric car to attach it too, so needed something damaging.

Blades can be forged and chains too, but they require specific equipment and it’s time consuming: especially because you need a lot of blades.
Chains can be found or disassembled from bicycles (foot pedals); your best bet for blades are lawnmowers, each one yelds two blades when disassembled.

While making a shredder is an effort, they do work pretty well: hitting something with a shredder at 32 km/h it’s like hitting it at 128 km/h! So they make hitting enemies with a car easier and safer for the car itself.

1 Like
Summary

What does the red dot near the minimap mean?

EDIT: It is the active mission marker, general direction sort-of-thing