Tips, Tricks and Newb Questions: Reborn!

Completely ignore the ‘hungry’ status, it is now meaningless.
Every morning when you wake up consume 2000 calories of food. Subsequently, just drink water to make ‘very hungry’ go away.

3 Likes

I like the hunger system. Its like real life hunger. Sure you had breakfast, but what about second breakfast?
Nope, no second breakfast. Gotta restrain that hunger impulse and regulate and monitor what ya eat if you want to lose weight and all that.

Thanks for the info, guys. I hope this system gets changed in the future. There’s no way you will become overweight or obese if you eat raw vegetables every time you’re hungry. And even if you eat nothing but junk food and stuff yourself silly it will take you more than a few days to become overweight or obese. This is a game supposedly based on realism, but this particular system is utterly unrealistic. There’s a difference between hunger and munchies. If you teach yourself to recognize actual hunger and only eat when you’re actually hungry, and eat healthy food, you will not wind up overweight or obese (relative to your natural body type, of course), and certainly not after just a few days. I’m relying on the game system to tell me when I need to eat, and right now it’s not doing that. So I suppose the answer is to leave my character hungry at all times, which is utterly ridiculous when realistically speaking they’re in a survival situation naked in the woods eating raw plants in the cold and need every bit of nutrition they can scavenge. There’s a difference between that and a modern person sitting in a chair all day eating junk food who needs to watch their weight. Hunter-gatherer societies didn’t suffer from unhealthy obesity because they were on their feet all day and ate natural food. My character gets tired by noon every day from chopping wood and building, they’re burning a lot more calories than the game currently allows, and they’re only eating raw veggies and the occasional egg. They should be starving, not overweight.

Anyway, I know the game is under constant development and appreciate all the work that goes into it. I just hope this system gets fixed in the future so it actually makes sense. Thanks again for all the info.

1 Like

I just got from “morbidly obese” to “very obese” in just one day of only drinking water. If only weight loss worked this way IRL lol.
I saw no real downsides when starting with obesity. But I did catch the flu, which sucked.

I imagine every character’s a Canadian-American.
Canadian because they melt in sunlight, American because they just keep eating.

Also, I just met a flaming eye on my mad dash to grab a science ID and gtfo.

I was blindfolded during my entire trip, but I had “you feel uneasy about being watched” message pop up, and now I still have an eyeball icon on my character.
Eating a Panaceus didn’t do anything.

What should I do? Is it that semi perma-blindness effect gonna kick in while I raid ant anthill for royal jelly?

2 Likes

The flaming eye effect is not permanent, and will go away after a while. You can eat some royal jelly to cure it if it really irks you that much, but it’s likely to only last for a day or less, and the majority of the effects that it gives you are pretty minor so long as you’re not in combat. It’s also very likely to evolve into a more… insidious disease. If I were you, I would start looking for some antifungals.

1 Like

Royal Jelly got nerfed starting with version 10568. It no longer has any curative abilities. The cureall effects were transferred to the Panaceus item (which now spawns in labs in vanilla). Not sure if the effect was added to the Aftershock mod (which also has a Panaceus item).

2 Likes

why nerf it? it wasnt that common or that usable, no one would use it for something minor

Not fully sure why. You can check out the PR here.

The effect is still in the game tho. It has just been transfered to the Panaceus item and you have to find it in labs instead of bee hives.

It looks like they seemed to assume it was literally real life Royal Jelly rather than what I assumed it was in game, which is basically some kind of mutant blob honey cure-all.

2 Likes

Well, actually in 0.D you could craft it from honey comb + bleach (or ammonia, not sure).
So you just needed to chance upon a beehive to have a large supply.

Is the “The Next Summer” scenario working as intended in the current version ?

The wiki states that Only Naturalist, Road Warrior, Player Bandit, Winter Scavenger, Winter Army, Waste Ranger and Unemployed professions may be selected, and when selecting the scenario in game it has professions as limited but when I go to select my profession not only are almost all professions available some like Road Warrior and Waste Ranger are missing entirely.

Is there a way to Unload an item on the ground without the now empty container ending up in your inventory? Like say a cellphone and its high-capacity battery?

I second this. After a while, it becomes somewhat bothersome.

Does the root cellar actually do anything? I’ve made one at my woodland base and have tried putting food on that tile but the remaining shelf life doesn’t seem any longer. Do I have to do something special to make it work? Or does it just do nothing, or so little that it doesn’t matter?

Edit: Second question - Is there some sort of bug with constructed windows? I built a window frame, then a window, then a window with curtains, but the game won’t let me open or close it. I’ve even tried using the debug menu to replace the tile and then place a new window and it still won’t let me open/close. :frowning:

To answer your first question, yes, the root cellar essentially makes the temperature of that tile the same as an underground tile. It’s not enough to make an item (cold) IIRC, but it’s cool enough that it’s worth the effort once you reach summer temperatures.

1 Like

Yes, when you look at food the game will just tell you an estimate of its shelf life “at room temperature”.
But you might notice that if you look at the same food in a minifridge, the game will give the same estimate over multiple days: I think I’ve had eggs with 1 week of shelf life in my fridge for at least two if not three weeks before they got old.

About windows… no idea. I rebuilt broken windows in a evac shelter and they worked fine for me.

I’ve just confirmed that windows placed using the map editor in the debug menu are not interactable. I tried building a window from scratch in another world and it worked fine, though. I have no idea why the one I build in my woods world doesn’t work. Maybe I’ll try totally deconstructing it and starting from scratch again… Maybe it matters where you’re standing when you build it?

EDIT: I’ve figured it out at last. I hadn’t built the roof of my house yet, and the windows are only interactable when they’re on an enclosed building. So they won’t work if you drop them randomly on the map, or if you put them in the wall of a house that doesn’t have a roof yet.

Slime pits are the most OP trap. They are even more powerful than mini nukes or any explosive or gun. You never have to deal with those bio-operators or Kevlar hulks again just lure them into a slime pit and they turn into a harmless blob so there is not even a risk of them coming back later.

edit: not even shoggoths are safe.

you mean they actually go from zombie to blob?what about the loot ºnº

They turn to blob so loot is gone.