Tips, Tricks and Newb Questions: Reborn!

Every time I sleep I wake up with red-text messages about how I feel terrible, or my muscles ache, or I feel like something is messing with my body. I have no idea why. The game says I’m “obese” even though I’ve eaten very little for a long while and only healthy food and drinking clean water (the game decided I was “obese” after 5 game days which seems utterly ridiculous to me anyway). I keep taking a multivitamin and calcium supplement every day, no junk food, and I’m fasting for most of the day trying to lose the “obese” tag, but it doesn’t seem to be helping in the slightest. What on earth do these messages mean? Are they related to this absurd weight thing or are they something else? The messages appear to be vague on purpose.

The messages are there to show your current “health” value, basically a measure of how healthy you are. It mostly just affects your natural condition regeneration, and you can view it directly with the “Self Aware” trait. If I had to guess, it is low enough to give you the messages because of your obesity, although why you became obese so suddenly is a mystery. You can just go full fasting until it goes away, since you’ll never go past “Hungry” while you’re overweight/obese.

btw we should add penalties for fasting, even while obese, that sounds like fun.

Thanks so much. I’ll go full fasting then. I definitely ate way too much during the first few days, trying to make use of all I could find before it went bad, but in reality even if I stuffed myself to bursting 24 hours a day it would take quite a long time to become obese. It was literally: day 4 - overweight, day 5 - obese. Day 5 is also when I started to see mutated monsters running around despite having monster evolution scaling set to 10. I wonder if there’s some possibility there’s some kind of bug with the time-based calculations in my game… or if the calculations just aren’t very realistic.

1 Like

Your character has a total calorie value, as time goes on it decreases, when you eat something with calories it increases. The normal/overweight/fat stat is a reflection of your total calories.

If you’re teetering on the upper edge of ‘normal’ and eat a meal loaded with calories, you’ll instantly bloat up to the ‘overweight’ class. So in short, yeah it’s not depicted in the most realistic way.

No, grass will not spread the fires

1 Like

whats the best dog to tame?

The beagle. Their ears are the floppiest and their nose palpations are the best among their size group.

2 Likes

while im thankful for the mental image of a cute puppy in my head, i meant the best in the game in stat sense xD

1 Like

Considered this as well and made the comparisons.

Stat wise it seams to be the German Shepard, least from what I’m finding on the item browser. So I’m unsure if that’s reliable or not.

1 Like

Rottweiler is slower with slightly less damage but has more HP and is larger (can carry more?) so I’d say both are viable options.

1 Like

Ingame, my character can become overweight/normal weight literally overnight after 1 day of eating/not eating.

I also assume the character’s some kind of habitual liar because they’re ALWAYS hungry. Obeying the hunger notifications either inhales my limited food supplies, or the hunger notification magically dissapears after crafting for a while.

Also, do these stuff respawn?

Pine trees - after harvested for pinecones/boughs
Cattails - picked aaand poor cattail plant dissapears
Dandelions - also disappears
Underbrush
Ferns

I do feel bad denuding 1 maptile of pickable shrubs for 1 measly day of food lol.

1 Like

Underbrush, Ferns, and Pine Trees respawn. Cattails can be made into seeds and grown

2 Likes

Mik is correct, but dandelions can also be made into seeds and grown. It’s just not generally super useful due to their low caloric value. Their yield also isn’t really any better than wild veggies. So you really only need them for vitamins (which are still pointless since the vitamin deficiencies have no effect still.)

1 Like

They’re also good for dandelion tea and dandelion wine.

2 Likes

So what happened to jumper cables?

I attached one end to solar panels and the other to a fridge and kitchen unit with a swappable storage battery, turned on the dashboard, and it’s still at -30watts.

Putting a storage battery on the solars shows +122watts.

Both vehicles are on the same zlevel and I have zlevels disabled.

Oh btw does leaving batteries uncovered by roofs mean electronics get damaged by rain?

Update:
Combined the kitchen and solar areas into one vehicle, which worked.
Don’t know if vehicle doors closing terrain walls leak scent, but the cable’s a pita to work with and I’ve only got one.

Also, Canadian Syndrome just kicked in. The heat’s starting to get to me. On a 22C afternoon with light nomad sut, riot armor and 2 backpacks, I’m starting to get slowdowns for heat.

Can’t stay inna basement since zlevels lag. Storing stuff in the minifridge also lags, so.

If nothing was changed recently, recharging works this way: each vehicle which has positive power generation first recharges all of its own batteries to 100%, only after that it begins sharing its power generation with other connected vehicles.
And if you saw -30 while the only battery was in kitchen vehicle, then it seems like power generation from other, fully-charged, vehicles isn’t shown on the one which batteries are currently being charged (which is a bug and you should report it).

Never happened to me. Then again, rain is quite scarce in 0.E.

Uh, what?

I can’t craft in a basement to avoid the midday heat, with power coming down from above, because enabling zlevels lags on my android device.

Oh, and the solars didn’t have any batteries in them at first, only the kitchen did.

Update:
Ok, something werid just happened with overheating.

When wearing light nomad, riot armor and 2 backpacks upstairs, only my torso went into yellow heat.
Dropping the backpacks dropped all bodyparts to green heat.

I went downstairs where it was 6C, switched my light nomad of 10warmth, to survivor runner pack of 0warmth.

I went upstairs again to ground level.
Now my torso, arms and legs are at yellow heat.

The temp upstairs from my diver’s watch still reads 22C. What happened?

Its possible to have some z-leves functions without having them all turned on?
i.e: i want to be able to use stepladders or climbing through the down pipes, but not the other things like mobs movement

How much do the “overweight” and “obese” statuses actually affect you? It seems completely absurd how easily you get those. I’m doing a naked and afraid inna woods playthrough and have been just getting by on wild vegetables and raw cattails and the game has decided I’m overweight on day 7. Is there a way to mod this? Am I just supposed to let my character starve regularly? Because that seems to be the only way to keep yourself at “normal” level.

Don’t eat when you’re ‘Hungry’, only eat when you’re ‘Very Hungry’ (which doesn’t come up unless your weight is normal).

How much exactly I don’t know but it affects your health stat which in turn affects your healing rate and risk of getting diseases such influenza or a cold. The wiki page may or may not be out of date.