Tips, Tricks and Newb Questions: Reborn!

Yeah already got it done, I hadn’t really checked the musicset in detail and didn’t realize that it’s just an easily editable playlist.
Variety is nice so a larger playlist is welcome, rather than choosing only one.

Cheers, mate.

Now if I could just figure out what the missing pointer to the combat sound is that is causing that aggravating burst of noise for me in both @s and Otopack.

What does a ‘nursebot’ do? I run Aftershock and found one next to an autodoc in a science lab.

It’s some robot with 4 arms and uncanny valley stiff face from the description. She’s netural monster/npc but I can’t 'e’xamine her to talk to an npc. Doesn’t respond to 'C’reaming and just wanders around the autodoc room repeating lines like ‘go in for a checkup’.

There are two types of nursebots, both are from vanilla and are semi-spoilery.

Some nursebots are just trying to continue their jobs from before the cataclysm, i.e. giving checkups to regular citizens (which display details about your health as if you had the Self Aware trait) and helping doctors preform operations (if you are wearing a doctor badge you will gain a buff that will increase the success chance of using an autodoc)

Other nursebots have been corrupted and will scan you for cbm’s. If they find any in you, they will try to grab and drag you to the nearest autodoc, where they will attempt to yank them from your body.

1 Like

How do I wash plastic/rubber clothing now? I remember I used to be able to use a washboard and soap or detergent, but when I try it in the current version (stable) it says I have nothing I can wash. And the washboard specifically says it’s for washing “soft” clothing. I need to wash a hazmat suit. Is there a different tool I can use to was the hazmat suit? Thanks!

You’re going to have to create a “Washing Kit”, which requires a washing board and either a rag; scrub brush; or sponge.

Awesome, thanks a lot!

1. How far do ant hives and fungal towers spread?

2. Do they keep spawning stuff and overrun the overmap?

3. My base is 12+ overmap tiles away, should I be concerned? The reality bubble is only 3 overmap tiles distant from the player’s tile, right?

Ants spread real slow, but they’re a fungal vector. Fungaloids will fucking spread fast as hell, to destroy them you’d need to surround them with fire.

Should be all right, I think it’s 6 overmap tiles. You really should move tho

i always thought the reality bubble was like 24 overmap tiles xD

Can’t. Explored east and found a line of ant hives. Went up a silo tower and spotted a blasted fungal tower lol.

Another question is:
If the fungal tower is in a field, and I go burn it, does fire spread across grass? I wanna keep the forest tiles maybe 6 tiles away intact lol.

Fire doesn’t spread across grass fields… although do note that not everything fungus burns. All of the tiles will, but some spores, some fungaloids, and the tower itself will survive the inferno. After that they will come back eventually, fire just buys you time until you can kill all of them. That’s why most people suggest moving away, they’re a pain to deal with even with proper equipment since a single missed spore cloud or fungaloid or even just a fungal tile can bring them all back and more. Also make sure to grab some drugs from a doctor’s office before attempting anything too fungal :wink:

1 Like

Fire deal quite effectively with any fungal patches that do come back including any leftover fungaloids and spore clouds. As for the boss I suggest throwing a fungicide grenade at it since it will most likely die from that.

1 Like

What’s proper equipment? Aside from making antifungal meds, I have filter mask/gas mask, a set of riot armor, a fire axe and an M16 with 100s of rounds.

Do I need to craft a flamethrower/molotovs, or can I just yolo in with my finger lighter cbm?

You need clothing with 100 coverage everywhere to prevent infection via spores and the “covert in spores” effects (-7 speed per body part covert). A fungicide grenade if you can make them (is even more deadly than fire against fungaloids). You can use a lighter to make fires but it takes more than five minutes before the fire starts to spread so I would advise the use of Molotov’s and flamethrowers for the initial clearing. But you could use a lighter to burn down missed patches of fungal beds and any patches that do come back as the fungaloids tend to convert the tiles they walk on into fungal beds meaning that if you light the beds on fire the fire will eventually spread to them. A bow is also pretty great for cleanup as it keeps you at a good distance to prevent infection and arrows are effective since fungaloids don’t have much armor.

1 Like

What? I never ever seen spores and fungaloids surviving in fires. Are you sure those weren’t some stragglers that ran away from the fire? They tend to do so.

I usually wait around till most fungal patches connect into one field (or just several fields but all connected with fungal ground), then run around chucking molotovs or just using the lighter. They key thing is to fire it from all sides so the filth has nowhere to run when the fire finally starts burning.
Then, and only then, you can start laughing maniacally.

3 Likes

What’s the most sustainable way to craft ethanol?

The cdda item viewer is very confusing.
You can craft ethanol from whiskey/rum/vodka, from whiskey/rum/vodka wash… all of which don’t have a crafting recipie.

wasnt there a alcohol thing that could be crafted with wood chips?

Look for liquor stores, the shipping rooms in the back can have multiple 50L aluminum kegs worth of various kinds of booze eligible for crafting ethanol.

Also the reason for why it says you can’t craft that alcohol, is because like with tanning hides you create a different item which then needs to ferment.
Dandelion wine must is pretty ez to craft and you can probably craft most things on the ingredient list for ethanol, just search for the alcohol name and you’ll see both the in progress one that needs fermenting and the finished product.

Like so, you can see ‘vodka’ listed as the finished product that can’t be crafted, but below there’s also ‘vodka wort’ which is craftable and will eventually turn into drinkable vodka.

1 Like

Yeah, any surviving fungaloids are because they escaped. Im pretty sure that they’re not immune to fire, they just often walk away from it.