Throwing martial arts

I’ve never said it should be that way. I’ve consistently said that martial arts add on, do not replace.

Point is that if your fighting style does not train you in the weapon, then you get the same weapon performance everyone else gets. That simple.

um… sorry? I was agreeing with you, and expanding.

So the martial art would not change anyting about actually throwing then, only using the weapon in melee? That… would still have to be handled on a weapon by weapon basis, and has nothing to do with throwing.

I’ve had that discussion before. Bow “martial arts” just aren’t practical.

Exactly. No martial art deals specifically with thrown weapons, so there’s no reason to involve thrown weapons in martial arts at all.

I can live with that, but its hard not to want after seeing this.

The followup video makes it feel slightly less cringy.
Still would not effect shooting directly, any more than anything affecting throwing weapons.

He’s specifically who was talked about. It’s a cute trick, but that bow at that draw isn’t going to hit anything, let alone seriously wound anyone, at any decent range. When he shoots at range he doesn’t shoot nearly that fast or dance about like that.

If his method was so great then Olympic archers would use it.

Earlier I suggested an example throwing technique that adds pierce and cut damage to axe throws, on premise that it’s a better throw. In the same example I had the axe using tomahawk melee techniques for block; that block uses the haft and blade curve to catch the opponent’s forearm.

Agreed. But can we have Gun Fu?

Time to delete WBLOCK_3 because shields aren’t special enough to be included in martial arts.

its not olypically practical. On a battlefield, where you need to duck out of the way of a swordsman, or zombie arm and pop it in the face real quick, practically without slowing? that would be nice. Then having some effects for using the bow as a weapon? It makes for nice daydreams. Lower damage and accuray, but the ability to fire on the move with less penalty would be a sweet perk.

by your own argument it stays because a martial art involving shields would expand on it.

thats already a thing being worked on I think. Forget the name. Unless it got dropped or abandoned… or never picked up.

but none of this is relavent to throwing weapons, except for when they arn’t thrown.

We can have “better throws” without implementing a weirdass martial art. And the other bit is just melee, which is already handled.

Ehhh it’s not really something that can be well modelled ingame. You already basically have that from very high marksmanship and pistol skills if you’re using a pistol. The ability to kick things down/away while wielding any weapon would be super cool though.

That’s a weapon technique, not a martial art technique.

You can “pop it in the face real quick” but the arrow won’t penetrate. You need to fully draw to do damage and he doesn’t most of the time.
Hitting something with a bow is a great way to break it.

Right, but it’s not a shield technique. It’s called “shield” but it’s just a block. Being facetious.

What if it’s larped Gun Fu and requires Dweeb profession?

with a bow of his strength. He is not built. Ulysses would “pop him” at half draw and do more damage then him at full.

You ever tried to draw a 50lb bow? It’s not something you can “pop”.

Taekwondo does that for you. Force Unarmed as well, but Taekwondo has special moves and blocking.

The issue is that the trick shooting he’s doing requires the bow to have little to no draw strength. It lets you shoot faster, but your range and penetration are worthless in return. In other words, showy and useless in an actual fight.

Hitting things with a bow, the issue is that the bow is fragile. Even if you made a MA that had special martial arts techniques to better hit enemies with bows in melee, the weapon would still get damaged very quickly as the game code stands.

You could make a blade bow or whatever for a mod, but then again, if you do, it’s no different than a bayonet, you can hit with it to your heart’s content without needing an MA.

I meant like a button to kick something while wielding a rifle or something. Unless Taekwondo works with a weapon equipped?

Not if you’re a high elf.

Ayup, if you hit things in melee while in Taekwondo, you always kick instead of bashing things with the weapon, regardless of the weapon (or if you’re wielding a heavy frame or steel drum or whatever). You also have full access to all Taekwondo special abilities.

only as a joke.

So… agreed that weaponside is the best way to handle the majority of thrown weapons effects… or all of them?

Me? no I wouldn’t be able to. A hulk that desired a bow would have much less difficulty.

the whole point of a bow martial art would be to speedely disengage to a better range. To slow, or disable the target enough to regain the range to more properly full draw. “buying time” techniques. Not smashing.

O-O Holy shit, I can’t believe that’s a thing.

A hulk would just have a bigger bow, or hit things in the face instead of bothering with a bow.

That’s called running away. We have a button for that.

Meh, just take Taekwondo, or make something based on it that has more knockback/stun. Then you have an(other) MA for all ranged weapons.

Agreed and said so. I’m trying to get martial arts tec into the throwing code so we can use the JSON down the road.