Throwing martial arts

But then I lack the ability to bow strangel! Or to bow wrangle! It could be used so well as an impromptu shepards hook to throw them on their face!

how would the martial arts affect anything in the throwing side of the code? Why would it need to be implemented there?

I’d just be quoting myself.

Again, probably just going to break the bow. Bows are surprisingly fragile as far as anything that isn’t shooting an arrow is concerned.

The melee code calls to a function that calls for the MA techniques. He’s proposing adding that to the ranged one so ranged techniques can be called.
Techniques.json, mind you, contains both martial arts techniques and item techniques.

He’s also proposing using it through martial arts that use those techniques, rather than as item techniques, regardless of the many flaws pointed out so far.

The issue with using the MA code is that techniques aren’t the most reliable thing in the world to proc. For some things, they’re fine, but for some others, they are a poor choice.

They are also entirely binary, either it can proc or it cannot, you cannot implement a bonus that gradually grows with skill, or gradually increase the proc chances with more skill.

It would be a martial art that included a throwable weapon, not an art the affected the throwing, unless it does something capibera sttyle giving bonuses (in this case negating downsides?) from moving

If you tried to get em at the corner? sure. But what if you used the middle like their neck was an arrow? Then threw their head into a wall “stunning” them

Sorry, nope. The string would break, unless the wood gives up first.

The only way it’d work is if it was a bow made for a superstrong brute, made out of adamantium and moustache hair from Chuck Norris.

I didn’t say rather than. Never made a solid claim either way. Have only given hypothetical examples and conceptual arguments.

So just throw them into a wall?

If you don’t exceed the poundage of the bow it might work. Or you could just stab them with a knife…

But then it’d need enough poundage to lift a grown man by the neck. That’s a brute-custom bow by definition.

Not lift, just strangle. You can do that with normal string, a bow string should have no trouble.

well then he still isn’t agreed dispite his say so and I still oppose throwing martial arts as he suggests.

Are you saying we shouldn’t plan for that eventuallity? Impossibility of aquiring a Chuck hair without permission asside, the stress on the string would be less than dry firing the bow, it would be slower draw against more weight, but the forces would still be less unless you managed to bring it past a full draw without them having enough give.

And touch zombie throat directly?!?!?

Not lift, pull over, topple, unbalence expiditiously into the forementioned wall.

give 1 solid solidish example. where would it be benificial compared with just adjusting the precision hit bonuses?

You don’t agree to my concept of adding to yours. I agree with your concept and want it opened to other opportunities.

By your refusal there is no sufficient example.

add martial arts that target weapons not covered by other martial arts, fine, maybe even narrow the other arts or declining bonuses for less similar weapons than the target ones.

But what, other than reduced aim penalties for movement, would a martial art involving throwing weapons add to the throwing of them that would be an accurate dipiction of an actual advantage that art would give with that weapon while THROWING it?

Your concept is entirely different in implementation. One is on the code and item json side that implements effects gradually based on skill level, the other is through the entirely different system that is the techniques code, which is entirely unaffected by skill level once you reach the threshold and has a very specific triggering mechanic that can be undesirable for many things.

You also went on and on about a way of doing things that nobody else liked, and everyone else poked holes at, which you kept insisting on without addressing any of said holes, nor provide even a single example when prompted. Only backtracking and pretending you never said anything.

The other opportunities would be… guns? You want to argue about… what? Gangsta shooting doing more damage?

You consistently misrepresent and follow with insult. The last I’ll speak of that.

um… ok, you poked holes at my suggestion once that I can think of, and I replied and rereplied a few times about it because I got over psyched thinking up realish world senarios, then argued over if martial arts would have anything to add to the area. What did I ignore? It was not intentional, and I don’t think anyone else commented on it before or after, other than to mention item specials vs martials or items + martial.

Hmm john wick style fighting is what you probably thought I meant, but I was refering to something that was developed… I think in israel, using guns in CQC hand to hand combat.

What does boxing do for a punch while throwing it? Half a thread ago:

Done on separate skills so that plain “throwing”, with anything throwable whatsoever, has all of its balancing intact.

We’d decide later what deserves to go into the techniques, and would almost certainly do that in mods.

*blink*
*Points at the sign saying who I was replying to on the previous post*
Victor has been mentioning martial arts throwing since about 10 hours ago, and has been promoting his idea of martial throwing consistently since that post he just quoted.

In general, I halfway like your proposal @Litppunk, I’d rather have something with a stronger effect at low skill level, but that can be done in your suggestion by toying with the thresholds for some beginner-friendly weapons.

Not really, because that’d be hitting with the weapon or alongside the weapon, not giving special effects triggered on shooting, which is the support Victor is going for.

Current code can handle CQC just fine, with the issue that guns are kinda fragile and not too good at it, so it’s better to just Taekwondo and kick the shit of anyone up close rather than weapon bashing.

oh… OH derp XD sorry. Yeah, its pretty rough stage, but as a concept I think its probably the best way. The idea would be that you would have random (poor?) chance (dpending on the weapon?) of getting the specials triggered, skill would mean you could intentionally get the trigger the way you want.
It would probably be switchable similar to firemode on guns (once you had the skill to attempt hitting it with any particular part.)

auto triggering weapon styles I can see being benificial (I think i missed that first read.) but I don’t see how that would be throwing. Currently you don’t typically wield throwing weapons. Even if you are, it doesn’t effect the throwing itself, but would be benificial to someone using that throwing weapon. But why would Okichitaw give any kind of bonus to the throwing itself? is your general proficency with the weapon making you throw it better? That would be better represented by a straight XP boost on reading the book/ gaining the martial art.