This is what I expected my entrenching tool to be like

I kind of like the idea of multi-purpose tools in general, CDDA seems a bit lacking there; we have what, a Swiss army knife and a multitool?

It should be noted that those functions are mostly secondary to its purpose -i.e. a shovel- and that anything with enough weight and that is sturdy enough can do that.

chopping trees? If a fire axe is a 2 quality chopper than a shovel is a 0.49 quality one.

but yes, they are very handy bits. I wouldnt recommend you plow and sow fields with it, but its possible.

So it’s a shovel that has wire cutting 1 and cutting attribute?

Id be okay with sprinkling that into the game as an exotic weapon/tool.

‘Chinese digging tool’

[center]A rather sturdy shovel made ironically from cheap steel. It has Chinese symbols written along its length, and is sharp enough to chop down small trees. It makes a passable melee weapon, and its joints make a simple pair of bolt cutters[/center]

[quote=“pisskop, post:4, topic:12365”]Id be okay with sprinkling that into the game as an exotic weapon/tool.

‘Chinese digging tool’

[center]A rather sturdy shovel made ironically from cheap steel. It has Chinese symbols written along its length, and is sharp enough to chop down small trees. It makes a passable melee weapon, and its joints make a simple pair of bolt cutters[/center][/quote]Aside from it’s weak-metal sawing capabilities, I think the tool wouldn’t need any sort of tree cutting qualities as defined ingame, though. You can accomplish a lot of that by smashing sapplings.
Cutting 1 would definitely go well on it, though.

wirecutting sounds and hammering sound reasonable

not to mention that you can use almost any shovel as frying pan irl

[quote=“Arek_PL, post:6, topic:12365”]wirecutting sounds and hammering sound reasonable

not to mention that you can use almost any shovel as frying pan irl[/quote]

This.

I couldn’t imagine chopping down a tree with a standard issue e-tool. Hell, the thing can barely take down a sapling. American e-tools are just a black metal shaft, with a folding spade. It can’t pull out a nail, twist wire, cut wire, open a bottle, or really anything that doesn’t involve digging or bashing. The edge is slightly sharpened or serrated, but there’s no way you could butcher an animal with it. You can, however, use it as a field-expedient toilet seat.

alas, there are no mechanics for waste production and management on an individual level

so we still can use it as frying pan or hammer

So…when are we giving the Mosin Nagant M91/30 its rightful screw driving ability of 1 then?

1 Like

I have one of those. It’s certainly seems capable of doing all the things those guys thought up as “features”, but I don’t think I’d use it for any of them if I had literally anything else available that was actually designed for the task.

{
“id”: “e_tool_chinese”,
“type”: “TOOL”,
“symbol”: “/”,
“color”: “light_gray”,
“name”: “chinese digging tool”,
“description”: “A sturdy spade made from cheap steel. The spade’s edge has been sharpened and its joints are tapered into a fine enough point to cut through wire.”,
“price”: 4000,
“material”: “steel”,
“weight”: 628,
“volume”: 4,
“bashing”: 8,
“cutting”: 8,
“flags” : [“CHOP”, “DURABLE_MELEE”],
“to_hit”: 1,
“qualities”: [[“CUT”, 1], [“DIG”, 3], [“BUTCHER”, -8], [“SAW_W”, 1], [ “SAW_M”, 1 ]],
“use_action”: “BOLTCUTTERS”
}

Shouldn’t the material be Budget Steel?

being chinese, its uncommon, at best. Being weaker than the entrenching tool in combat, its not really designed for combat.

Budget steel is irreparable and weaker than metal.

Its spawning will be limited to helicoptors, survivors, maybe bio ops, and Ive been wanting to add some kind of chinese spy zombie buuuut idk any good ideas for themreally.

nor do I think there are enough meaningful differences to represent chinese soldier paradropping into us and being zombies.

Honestly the game is far too picky on things like wood cutting and hammering as it is, but for the purposes of discussion, isn’t it 2040? Chinese Mega Spades have twenty-four years to gain popularity as a useful multipurpose field tool across the world, particularly among survivalists and other professionals who have a serious need for a lightweight digging alternative that can also double as a pickaxe and precision potato chopper.

I think this is one of the stuff that looks awesome but is crap.
I mean, with such a locking mechanism, it is bound to break easily from abuse (at least much more easily than a normal shovel)
Case in point: The Soviets haven’t implemented this (and they were suckers for reliable, dependable and cheap multi-use stuff) :stuck_out_tongue:

Trench warfare doesn’t exist anymore, why do you need to cut wire and chop wood?

1 Like

Well, I’m not saying that this particular chinese spade should be in the game!
What I’m saying is there should be something similar. Surely by 2040 someone would’ve come up with a reliable multipurpose tool better than “lobotomizer”?

…then again the whole idea is obsoleted by intergrated toolset.

i dont see a shovel in that frankly large toobox in your chesthole.