The Underrated Professions Thread (TM)

This is the broken-cyborg:

and this is the failed-cyborg:

Both professions give the same points (+2) but don’t even compare. I might be wrong about cyberjunkie but this is far from easy (especially if you don’t play static).

Hey, i like your color scheme, would you mind posting it in CODE tags?

And telling me what else you customized, your font looks bold.

I like farmer for the multitool you get on spawn, especially because you can boot-sheath the multitool so you’ve got an always-present screwdriver set. Make a stone/makeshift hammer (easy), and you can disassemble furniture on day 1 instead of smashing it.

[quote=“hexman, post:21, topic:12536”]This is the broken-cyborg:

and this is the failed-cyborg:

Both professions give the same points (+2) but don’t even compare. I might be wrong about cyberjunkie but this is far from easy (especially if you don’t play static).[/quote]

The ethanol burner isn’t NEARLY as good as the Joint Torsion Ratchet, for one thing, and the armor CBMs are also a pretty big deal early. Also, the Acidic Discharge is EASILY the worst, and the both have it, and the noisemaker is the ongoing dinner-bell for the zombies, and they both have that.

Personally, I think the location probably has something to do with the cost as well - starting in a lab is a HUGE benefit most of the time.

Most of the characters I play lately have professions that I’ve made, some of them along with custom melee weapons, armor, and firearms, or default classes that I’ve tweaked to be stronger starting out, with better gear and armor, usually. I try to give SOME consideration to balance, but most of them are either overpowered outright, or extremely specialized in their gear and skills with a backstory I’ve imagined.

The latest profession, one that I made today actually, is a Cyber-Security officer, with light tactical gear, a shirt and tie, and a laser pistol (and UPS)… and other various electronics and tools of the cybersecurity trade. High electronics skills, level 1 melee and dodge, some mechanics skill, marksmanship, pistol skill. I can post the json if anyone wants to try it out.

Oh, the Drone Operator is pretty under rated. He starts with a remote controller CBM, plus a battery system and a power storage for only one point.

Remote Controllers control drive by wire cars and RC cars.

Ooh, and Cyclist is pretty under rated. Starting with a bicycle is pretty awesome. Plus, you start with a helmet.

[quote=“Chezzo, post:26, topic:12536”]Oh, the Drone Operator is pretty under rated. He starts with a remote controller CBM, plus a battery system and a power storage for only one point.

Remote Controllers control drive by wire cars and RC cars.[/quote]

How helpful is that? Serious question. I’ve never messed around with RC cars.

[quote=“SpadeDraco, post:27, topic:12536”][quote=“Chezzo, post:26, topic:12536”]Oh, the Drone Operator is pretty under rated. He starts with a remote controller CBM, plus a battery system and a power storage for only one point.

Remote Controllers control drive by wire cars and RC cars.[/quote]

How helpful is that? Serious question. I’ve never messed around with RC cars.[/quote]

Ability to strap explosives to RC cars and drive then blow them up.

Street cleaners come default with drive-by-wire controls, meaning if they’re in good condition you have your own junk-filled battering ram.

Street cleaners come default with drive-by-wire controls, meaning if they’re in good condition you have your own junk-filled battering ram.[/quote]

I’d be nice to actually control drones, man hacks, robots, etc with the bionic. Make it viable to take at least.

Yeah the acidic discharge is the worst, as it can easily kill the character in a matter of days but Broken-Cyborg also has the Leaky-Bionic which stops natural-healing after a few weeks.

Personally, I think the location probably has something to do with the cost as well - starting in a lab is a HUGE benefit most of the time.

I also think that broken-cyborg was meant to paired with Lab-Challenge. It can also paired with Abandoned but I would choose patient as it gives the same number of points while being easier to manage.

[quote=“X-PLODE, post:22, topic:12536”]Hey, i like your color scheme, would you mind posting it in CODE tags?

And telling me what else you customized, your font looks bold.[/quote]

I’m just using the default font of my terminal-emulator (i.e. gnome-terminal) with Tango color-scheme. My build is compiled with ncurses on Linux. The font is Ubuntu-Mono which is usually bundled with unity-desktop. You can get it here: (http://font.ubuntu.com/#charset-mono-regular) but be sure to read their font-license first as I don’t think it is open-source (it could as well be patent-encumbered so make sure to read the whole thing).

You can change the font of your terminal emulator by following a few simple steps (Change font and style, Konsole - KDE UserBase Wiki). For OS X, I can’t say anything as I’ve never used it but for Windows, this might be worth a look: http://www.wiki.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?title=How_to_compile#Windows_2 .

If you’re looking for a free font this could be useful: https://www.slant.co/topics/67/~programming-fonts; on the other hand the proprietary Consolas font bundled with Windows seems to do the trick (it’s better than the default bitmap-font anyway).