The Great "Install Bionics" Rebalance!

Re installation-rebalance: I’m not sure I understood all the equations, etc, but since it’s already merged, lah-dee-dah. Frankly I thought some of the install-difficulties were questionable to begin with, but wev.

Re location-based stuff: Limiting slots seems intuitive but opens up some other criticism. Why couldn’t analysis & filtration be combined? Who would install Analysis, if they knew that Filter exists? (If you think you’ve got something wrong…just hit Filter and see if that helps. If it does, you didn’t really need an Analysis, and if it doesn’t, iodine or royal jelly.)

Re mechanical repairs: That seems like a major turn-off IMO. Though it’s realistic to have bionics not self-repair, manually having to fix my stuff because some critter got a lucky crit seems about as rewarding as having to oil and sharpen my Machete every time I fight ants. Maintenance is generally not that rewarding.

Re autosaving: There are different types of fun. Thanks.

I like the idea of limiting somehow but we might want to divide things up a little farther then just arm/leg/torso, especially since “torso” is a fairly broad category (including heart, stomach, and all sorts of other organs). Ideally I’d rather favor on the side of permissive then restraining.

Re mechanical repairs: That seems like a major turn-off IMO. Though it's realistic to have bionics not self-repair, manually having to fix my stuff because some critter got a lucky crit seems about as rewarding as having to oil and sharpen my Machete every time I fight ants. Maintenance is generally not that rewarding.
Agreed. I'm really hesitant about adding any sort of bionic damage thing.

Maybe we could have some sort of stationary machine in hospitals? I think that might provide a bit of reward in exchange for the lower risk rate.

I like the idea of location-based bionics, too.

The problem with bionics, to me, is that they’re pretty much all upside. There are severe failures, but they can mostly be eliminated by having decent skills. I think permanent bionics downsides should be more predictable and require players to think before jamming new stuff in. Right now, bionics downsides are either too low or too high and mostly down to a random RNG roll.

Maybe focus should decrease permanently with additional bionics. You’re becoming less human and more machine, so you become less adaptable and it’s harder to learn new things. Or perhaps bionics and mutations are mutually exclusive, the more bionics you put in the higher the chance that new mutations are harmful ones. And existing mutations make the chance of failure when installing bionics higher. Right now, when I come across a CBM module it’s pretty much a no-brainer to install it once I’ve gotten electronics and first aid up to decent levels. There should be some trade-off, even if it’s a net positive for most characters.

If a location-based system gets added, I’d suggest going with a points capacity rather than just # of modules. You’d get, say, 8 points for your head, 15 for torso, etc. More powerful bionics would require more points to install.

[quote=“Toombs, post:20, topic:2559”]I would love if we could have a UI section for Cybernetics/Bionics that kind of works like an…“inventory screen” mixed with the current Clothing layer screen.
That screen could be divided into Cranium, Torso, ArmL, ArmR, LegL, LegR.
Each section would “house” different bionics, with obvious limitations(which are already in the game, afaik) like being unable to have diamond cornea twice and similar silly stuff.

Cranium Bionics:
-Alarm System, Alloy Plating, Diamond Cornea, Enhanced Hearing, Enhanced Memory Banks, Sensory Dulling, Nictating Membrane, Membrane Oxygenator, Targetting System, Infrared Vision, Air Filtration System, Cranial Flashlight, Facial Distortion,

Torso Bionics:
Alloy Plating, Active Defense System, Offensive Defense System, Subdermal Carbon Filament, Battery System, Ethanol Burner, Internal Battery, Internal Furnace, Metabolic Interchange, Solar Panels, Internal Climate Control, Thermal Dissipation, Blood Filter, Expanded Digestive System, Internal Storage, Aero-Evaporator, Recycler Unit, Repair Nanobots, Blood Analysis, Cloaking System, Directional EMP, Olfactory Mask, Sonic Resonator, Power Armor Interface, Teleportation Unit, Time Dilation

Arm Bionics:
Adamantium Claws, Alloy Plating, Electroshock Unit, Heat Drain, Integrated Toolset, Water Extraction Unit, Electromagnetic Unit, Fingermounted Laser, Fingerhack, Fingerpick, Fusion Blaster, Hydraulic Muscles, Mini-Flamethrower, Railgun,

Leg Bionics:
Alloy Plating, Terranian Sonar,

This is what we have right now (used the current state of the wiki, so something may have been left out) divided into the (I think) appropriate sections.

We could add a system similar to how mutations work, where certain bionics block certain others, like only being able to have one heart modification, so you would have to choose between Blood Filter OR Blood Analyzer.

We could also introduce a new mechanic like Bionic Limbs converting normal Limbs to mechanical prosthetics, which would make them more durable (either more health or harder to dmg ie Cut/Bash/Pierce Resists) but also make it so you cannot heal them… …would have to repair them with appropriate Tools and Scrap/Metal/Plastics/whatever. This could also have the sideeffect of further Installations of Arm Bionics to be more dependent on Mechanics/Electronics instead of First Aid, since you are no longer working with human flesh.

There might be room for new Bionics like

-Smartlinks(Arms) to work in tandem with Weapons modded into Smartguns(Weapon mod) and the Targeting System(Cranium)
-Wired Reflexes(Backbone…so Torso) which works like Quick(Trait) and gives a Bonus to AP
-Reinforced Backbone (see above) which grants extra carry weight
-Hydraulic Systems(Leg) to increase jump Height/Range for when the z-levels come

There a lots of possibilities and yes I am aware that this might look like a cyberpunk total conversion request or whatever - but its not…

…Of course, the same basic system could be done for Mutations…[/quote]

I too like this idea, but it would as you’ve described, require a fairly complex but easy to navigate, intuitive system - especially if combined with the mutations. I’m not saying what I’ve thought of is that good or intuitive but it is one possible solution that (not that I’m a coder) might prove not too impossible to implement.

You could have a system where the whole body has 100 points, this is the percentage for the total potential bionic and mutation alterations that you can withstand before going on the fritz or turning into a gloopy mess - effectively ceasing to be humanoid and joining the ranks of the Cataclysmic menace (this would be a great alternative to simply dying, if your next character in the same world came across your former mutated bionic’d up incarnation and had to fight it, but I digress).

Obviously these 100 points can be buffed/nerfed by traits and even by certain particular mutations/bionics/failed implants. Buffs/nerfs could be general, affecting the whole total points available and changing the limits accordingly, or they could be body region or even system specific - once more changing how the game is played dependent on your particular set of alterations (both limiting and permitting very highly focused builds dependant on the RNG and synergies of the various bionics and mutations).

These points/percentages would be spread between the major regions of the body and further subdivided into bodily systems, but only whenever appropriate.

E.g. (numbers are the total possible points available to go into one body region or system):

[ul][li]Cranium: 25
Nervous: 20 | Sensory: 20 | Respiratory: 10 | Musculoskeletal: 10 | Endocrine: 10 | Integumentary: 5[/li]
[li]Torso: 40
Digestive: 30 | Circulatory: 20 | Respiratory: 10 | Nervous: 10 | Musculoskeletal: 10 | Endocrine: 10 | Integumentary: 5[/li]
[li]Arms: 20
Musculoskeletal: 20 | Sensory: 10 | Nervous: 10 | Integumentary: 5[/li]
[li]Legs: 10
Musculoskeletal: 10 | Sensory: 5 | Nervous: 5 | Integumentary: 5[/li]
[li]Whole Body: 5
Musculoskeletal: 5 | Integumentary: 5 | Circulatory: 5 | Sensory: 5 | Nervous: 5[/li][/ul]

From this you can see that certain bionics and mutations would be limited to a particular system and bodily region, while others could have an impact on several areas. What the downside of reaching/exceeding these systemic and regional limits should be (beyond the standard, crippling pain!), is something for discussion, of course. For exceeding the 100 (or its buffed/nerfed amount) total points available, well - you have my idea already…

Seems pretty restricting to me, but then I didn’t think bionics needed a rebalance to begin with.

While I’d like the reblance, I’m not sure about bionics needing a downside, other than maybe weight one installed.

Sure, they’re good, but they’re just one of the way a character improve over the game, just like a higher skill level is all good with no downside.