The crawler

“You whack the zombie with your zombie arm”

I agree that enemies do need individual limbs as well, but I think that it would be quite a bit of work to implement it, when monsters currently work fine as they are.

[quote=“Belteshazzar, post:19, topic:3840”]Not much suggestion as to how Hazmat zombies would fight differently though except that they probably have really cruddy hearing/scent, but resilience vs cutting or chemical weapons (gas grenades.)[/quote]Perhaps upping their armor against cutting (bullets should still deal some damage, though; hazmat suits aren’t made of ceramic-plated kevlar), dropping their sight down to 10 or 15 tiles, and removing their [SMELLS] or whatever tag. Not entirely sure how one would go about creating their chemical resistance, however; I’ll have to look into that later.

I just had a horrible realization.

The stuff Belteshazzar describes isn’t possible with the current game lore which requires a certain density of biomass for resurrection, and will probably stay that way - with one notable exception.

Hulks. Hulks could totally get chopped in half and still have both parts with sufficient biomass to resurrect individually.

A hulk crawler(top half) and hulk stomper(top half) are now hunting you. Is this better or worse than the original hulk?

[quote=“GlyphGryph, post:24, topic:3840”]The stuff Belteshazzar describes isn’t possible with the current game lore which requires a certain density of biomass for resurrection[/quote]According to the current lore, then, how much biomass is required to resurrect successfully?

A bit over 60lbs is about right, from memory.

So everything from the waist up from an average human should be about right, assuming our “normal” zombies all weighed about 185 pounds before zombification. Thus, the torso of a regular Z should be just barely enough biomass to resurrect.

[quote=“GlyphGryph, post:24, topic:3840”]…

The stuff Belteshazzar describes isn’t possible with the current game lore which requires a certain density of biomass for resurrection, and will probably stay that way - with one notable exception.

Hulks. Hulks could totally get chopped in half and still have both parts with sufficient biomass to resurrect individually.

A hulk crawler(top half) and hulk stomper(top half) are now hunting you. Is this better or worse than the original hulk?[/quote]

Or, the zombie stayed “alive” after loosing the lower part of body, thus circumventing the need for resurrection process to begin anew?

Zombies die if they can’t mantain biomass or expand their current biomass (like it does with insects) to compensate. If a limb was cut off, it would either need to mutate rapidly or it would quickly become inert.

“you slice the zombies leg off!”
“what is this?”
“the zombie is mutating!”
“the zombie has turned into a one-legged hulk”

Crawlers, you say?
I’m TOTALLY okay with crawlers.

So for example you’re fighting in a window, chopping zombies to pieces and pushing them out into a pile just outside* the window, then a zombie torso falls on the pile…

*Or just inside the window, right under your feet…

[quote=“GlyphGryph, post:24, topic:3840”]…

A hulk crawler(top half) and hulk stomper(top half) are now hunting you. Is this better or worse than the original hulk?[/quote]

One could change the lore to require a certain amount of nervous tissue instead of just simple biomass, justifing that small critters actually become zombies, just that they don’t move as the blob can’t exert control over the body and just gives up as it has no way to collect the resources to expand it.

Then after the body is successfully under its control, it starts collecting biomass to expand and mutate it’s host nervous system, in order to decentralize it through the body.

We could - but it would mean zombies would probably get a good deal tougher as they would become effective impossible to kill, and picking up a few pieces of zombie meat would have them merge together into some sort of meat gremlin in your backpack, and who wants that?

I want that. :open_mouth:

Not necessarily one could justify their mortality by saying that quick loss of significant quantities of this neural network would stun the blob (AKA kill the zombie), something that would force the blob to install its network on the much more protected torso of the host to avoid being stunned lets say in the case of losing a leg.

And well shouldnt the meat merge into a monster under the current lore anyway (proven of course there is enough biomass) actually it should be easier under the current lore as normal meat doesn’t has much nerves inside them (well compared to other kinds of tissue)