Thank you for buffing awl pikes

[quote=“razor, post:18, topic:8441”]Adding a #pound function to spears would improve them and give them something unique. To say someone could not stab something from 1 meter away with a spear even the length of a broom handle is demonstrably untrue. Anyone can see this for themselves with a ruler and a house broom. If you wish to play to technicality, with both subjects being perfectly square against the edge of a meter on either side, then you would barely even extend your arms in the effort.

Early game characters in particular would benefit from the ability to #pound enemies that are hung up in door frames / windows / fences - It would seem fitting since that is the reason the spear was the grandfather of all other military weapons.[/quote]

My first game in the latest release there is a mansion directly across from my shelter and it is full of awl pikes.

They are wonderful.

Theyre strong but theyre slow, heavy, and huge. They have 3 range and can crit over 100, even at lower skill levels.

Overall theyre good but not optimal for every situation.

They’re handy at least on being able to melee corrosives with their reach attack. Other reach weapons don’t have enough range while using the full range of the awl pike usually has enough space that the acid spray upon hitting a corrosive usually won’t hit the survivor.

They’re a massive drain on stamina, though, due to the weight and number of moves per use.

You can also use the reach attack when driving a vehicle. JOUSTING!

I might have to try that if i find one. Sounds like fun especially from a motorcycle.

[quote=“TheKobold, post:4, topic:11217”]

I might have to try that if i find one. Sounds like fun especially from a motorcycle.[/quote]

Driving using an engine would be ideal. If you use a foot crank powered vehicle, reach attacks drain your stamina so eventually food pedaling would slow down as well.

Foot cranks would make it a bicycle, Hogwild is definitely a motorcycle.

Holy shit, why did I not think of this? I can become a Spess Murheen biker doing this. I just need to go visit one of the mansions nearby now and loot them for one of these pikes. It seems to be a great idea to me.

Holy shit, why did I not think of this? I can become a Spess Murheen biker doing this. I just need to go visit one of the mansions nearby now and loot them for one of these pikes. It seems to be a great idea to me.[/quote]

It’s fun to use, but can be tricky if you intend to face a ton of zombies. Trying to charge headfirst into a mass of zeds will most likely end up with a survivor and his vehicle being swarmed. It fares better against smaller groups on the road.

Can I suggest a murder hole? Making a door to your vehicle with only frames/spikes leading out of it, making a corridor of slow walking. Then take your ranged weapon of choice and opening up

Also, for those with acid troubles? Get a foldable vehicle. Ive been wanting to try out a foldable aisle/floor trunk, but the gist is abusing the vehicle immunity to acid to face down the monster. Anything standing on a vehicle is immune to acid.

Doesn’t seem to work for me. I’m using a mountable gun to exterminate hordes, and if a corrosive zombie spits in the tile my survivor is firing from she’d better move otherwise her feet will melt away. Their spit lasts a long time.

Perhaps it was a bug, but I just tested it; once for standing on the vehicle when it spat at me, and once for getting onto the vehicle to avoid the acid. In neither case was the acid an issue.

Huehuehue.

There are two main reasons for the pike not sucking anymore.

The first was thanks to Coolthulhu, the PR implementing reach attacks ( https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/11665 ). That alone made pikes a lot more viable, but even then it was more due to pikes specifically having 3 reach. I recall which many melee-competent characters, you could backpedal and play keep-away like with normal spears, but you’d rarely get more than one hit in before having to fall back.

The second was my PR ( https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/13906 ) that was in turn in response to another PR Coolthulhu devised ( https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/13617 ). This made the damage-per-turn closer to the dedicated medieval weapons, and eased up the pain of its slow attacks a bit.