Light-Speed Quick Attack

whacks NPC once

And that was one movement. One.

Someone explain why this isn’t overpowered? Because it’s really overpowered.

I guess spears should lose the quick attack.
Their balance was always quite wonky due to their strange mechanics.
Plus, they were always balanced as player vs. monsters tool.

Spears drain 30 moves (per hit) from target. Quick attack halves own move cost. At like 110 base move cost, spear user uses 55 moves to drain 30 moves from the target, meaning at 100 speed the spear user will move 4 times before target moves once.
Add pain and it’s possible to “spear-lock” the target indefinitely.

This is probably what happened in the screenshot.

So, spears should either lose the rapid attack or the move draining. But move draining is a cool mechanic that no other weapon type has (except tazer, but that’s not really a weapon), so I’d rather drop the rapid attack.

I’m all for that. Quick attacks sound cool but I’ve always stopped using knife spears just because once I get to a specific point, everything just dies. And I mean everything. Too good. Just poke it into paste.

Quick attacks should probably go for something like…I dunno, knives or something. Or have some kind of cap that prevents locking someone like this.

Let them lose the quick attack, but add some martial art that uses spears (random find on google - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sōjutsu). There should be plenty of those. Make the quick strike of a spear a move that opens at 4 melee (or even more).

Edit. On the other hand, i don’t like nerfs. NPC’s can be dangerous, need to be careful around them, see what weapon they’re wielding before engaging them in melee. If you see a spear, just shoot them from afar. Too many nerfs proposed lately, nerf shocker monsters, nerf spears, nerf this nerf that, enough with this madness.

[quote=“Wally-kun, post:3, topic:10188”]I’m all for that. Quick attacks sound cool but I’ve always stopped using knife spears just because once I get to a specific point, everything just dies. And I mean everything. Too good. Just poke it into paste.

Quick attacks should probably go for something like…I dunno, knives or something. Or have some kind of cap that prevents locking someone like this.[/quote]

it’s the same with almost any other weapon. Once you get to a specific point, you start to kick ass. How is a katana wielder with niten or ninjutsu worse than a spear wielder? What about unarmed styles, at high skill you are a killing machine. Have you tried bows? they’re brutally powerful and effective as well. The same goes with rifles (the pneumatic rifles for example, they’re both gorgeous, or the fusion blaster rifle, it’s really beautiful). I assume same goes with handguns and possibly shotguns as well (never tried them). So what should we do now? nerf everything?

No, only nerf the things that cause problems, take away control etc.
That’s how game design works: remove insta-kills and new player traps, remove no-brainers, add meaningful choices and situational advantages.
NPCs with spears should be dangerous, but they should achieve it by making reach attacks, not taking away all control and killing the player in 1 turn.

Quick attack no, because of the problem with this spear lock thing, but a knockback technique would be nice. Knockback, haft strike (rapid stun on crit), knockdown, bonus to block - all of those would fit a spear style.

From my (little) experience, I agree that spears are very powerful even with 0-3 melee and 0-3 piercing weapon skills :
-low crafting cost for pointy stick / steel spear and decent early game damage
-good armor penetration (I don’t know exactly how it is now but I read somewhere that piercing weapons ignore 20% of cut armor)
-quick strike is extremely powerful

Now that I know of the move draining mechanics, it’s even more clear why they are so good at keeping me alive !
NPCs with spears are also by far the most powerful allies I’ve met (so far)

No, only nerf the things that cause problems, take away control etc.
That’s how game design works: remove insta-kills and new player traps, remove no-brainers, add meaningful choices and situational advantages.
NPCs with spears should be dangerous, but they should achieve it by making reach attacks, not taking away all control and killing the player in 1 turn.

Quick attack no, because of the problem with this spear lock thing, but a knockback technique would be nice. Knockback, haft strike (rapid stun on crit), knockdown, bonus to block - all of those would fit a spear style.[/quote]

I really wish there would be a martial arts style involving spears and i like your ideas very much on this subject, too bad i can’t code.

Also: jousting on a bike would be awesome !

I fixed this for you.