"Tears in Reality"?

I was just exploring deep down in my world when I spotted a lab. I went near it and found a “tears in reality” on the left side, represented by “8” symbol iirc. I found a couple of amoebic molds around, took them down and went inside it. I thought it was some kind of portal to the “netherworld” or just a piece of crap like the shimmering portal, but as I went inside it, I was “violently teleported” some distance from the portal (similar to a teleported or the teleportation unit cbm) but I also took some damage.

I’ve read about these on the forums and the wiki but I never found one of these (I only found the shimmering portal and the so called “artifacts”, which are actually crap stuff most of the time)

What is actually the purpose of this portal? Does it spawn nether monsters (at that time it doesn’t seem to)? Can it give me teleportation sickness like the teleporter or the teleportation unit?

Don’t quote me on this, but I think they’re supposed to spawn Nether Creatures at a certain point.

Beyond that there isn’t much of anything special about it, other than being a rare encounter.

[quote=“EkarusRyndren, post:2, topic:8711”]Don’t quote me on this, but I think they’re supposed to spawn Nether Creatures at a certain point.

Beyond that there isn’t much of anything special about it, other than being a rare encounter.[/quote]
Probably this. I encountered one before, all it ever did was keep spawning nether creatures.

Yeah. They just spawn nether monsters. Don’t stick around them too long or something like a yugg or floating eye will pop out and probably screw you right over.

Build walls around the portal. Problem contained.

Unless the tear spawns a nether monster that can destroy the walls. And some nether monsters are very good at that.

Surround it with caltrops, spiked pits and turrets. That’s what I did to the one I found. No netherspawns has yet successfully made a second step from the portal since then.

Or just leave. There’s no point hanging around one. Flaming eyes will bust through walls in a single turn, they and other nether monsters will ignore ground based traps, and I have no idea why you’d bother wasting ammo on a turret for the purpose of shooting everything that comes out of it. You’ll run out of ammo before the game runs out of monsters.

S-spiked pits are a thing? C-can you make… acid pits?
And isn’t ammo essentially infinite since all of its components can be eventually manufactured? How much ammo can you dump in a turret at once?

[quote=“BeerBeer, post:9, topic:8711”]S-spiked pits are a thing? C-can you make… acid pits?
And isn’t ammo essentially infinite since all of its components can be eventually manufactured? How much ammo can you dump in a turret at once?[/quote]
Spiked pits are a thing, check the construction menu. No acid pits so far afaik, though neat idea. Ammo is not infinite since you can’t manufacture ammo casings and I don’t think you always get all of them back after shooting.

Because at that time, I had so many turrets and ammos that my doomwagon nearly ran out of space. Most of them came from my habit of hacking ALL the turrets whenever I go lab-diving. Since I never use them, I might as well splurge them on sealing away portals.

[quote=“BeerBeer, post:9, topic:8711”]S-spiked pits are a thing? C-can you make… acid pits?
And isn’t ammo essentially infinite since all of its components can be eventually manufactured? How much ammo can you dump in a turret at once?[/quote]

Turrets use factory loaded 9mm (not the reloaded version, 9mm +p, 9mm +p+ or any other variants), reloaded ammo doesn’t work. Reloaded 9mm can be infinite but as far as turrets go, 9mm is not unlimited. I don’t use turrets at all, the ones that can be mounted on vehicles are better (they can use any variant of their ammo), but most of them use rare and expensive-to-craft ammunition (.50 bmg for hmg guns, .223 for m249s, gasoline for flamethrowers etc). I think there should be a vehicle mounted turret in the game which should use 9mm ammo, since its easy to craft and readily available from turrets but as of 0.B there is no such turret.

Hmm. Build a stationary “vehicle” with a storage battery, a solar panel, and a vehicle turret?

Yeah, mounted guns seem to use reloaded and varying types of ammunition, my hmg guns too seem to use the .50 BMG AP and reloaded .50 BMG ball munitions. I think its better to use mounted turrets instead of the floor mounted ones.

I found one of these a while ago, although, there were no monsters around it. Just a bunch of Marloss bushes with a ton of berries.