Survivor Hood + Heavy Survivor Helmet

I’ve managed to acquire what appears to be two good pieces of equipment.

A Survivor Hood and a Heavy Survivor Helmet.

The Heavy Survivor Helmet is worn on the Normal clothing layer.

The Survivor Hood is worn on the Outer / Worn Over clothing layer.

When I try to equip the Survivor Hood it displays a message “You can’t wear another helmet” however I can wear a Rain Hood while wearing the Heavy Survivor Helmet.

Something feels really off about being unable to wear the hood over the helmet. Is there a step that I’m missing in equipping the external layer of clothing?

you SHOULD be able to wear both. oversight?

As far as I can tell if something has enough encumbrance it is considered a helmet.

Probably because of encumbrance as DeWolf said.

Being unable to wear the hood over this helmet is like a splinter in my brain! XD

To the point that I’m willing to edit the .json files to “correct” this anomaly.

I’ve been looking for the file that contains the Survivor Hood and I “think” I’ve found it here:
cdda/data/items/armor.json

Judging by what you’re saying the value I need to change is “encumbrance”: 25,.

This is my first time attempting to alter CDDA files, if possible would someone be willing to walk me through it?

So far I have three questions on this subject:
(#1)
Is this the only file and value I need to alter to perform some digital tailoring on the Survivor Hood?

(#2)
Additionally what value should I change “encumbrance” to so that it is set to the maximum amount before a Hood would be treated as a helmet?

(#3)
Is there a risk of damaging CDDA so that it no longer functions correctly if the “encumbrance” value is changed using a standard .txt editor like Notepad(Windows) or Xed(Linux)?

The code block for the Survivor Hood appears to be the following:

{ "id": "hood_survivor", "type": "ARMOR", "category": "armor", "name": "survivor hood", "description": "A customized, heavily armored leather and kevlar hood, designed to provide comfort and protection from harm.", "weight": 820, "volume": 8, "price": 58000, "to_hit": -1, "bashing": 10, "material": [ "kevlar", "leather" ], "symbol": "[", "color": "brown", "covers": [ "HEAD" ], "coverage": 100, "encumbrance": 25, "warmth": 15, "material_thickness": 4, "environmental_protection": 3, "techniques": [ "WBLOCK_1" ], "flags": [ "VARSIZE", "WATERPROOF", "STURDY", "OUTER" ] }

I don’t know the exact number for the maximum encumbrance until it is considered a helmet but pretty much any text editor will work or at the very least the one that comes with you computer. However if you are a windows user I would would recommend using wordpad as it makes it easier to see,edit and understand but that is my opinion. If you do get a format error thing don’t worry it doesn’t do much. Also neat trick is the game loads jsons upon loading a save game so literally you can open the game open the json edit what you want, click save but preferably don’t close it for convenience then load your game and if you get an error or you don’t get the results you want, save and quit, edit the json again and repeat til desired result.

I’ve done a bit of experiment on the question and it seems that anything with more than 10 encumbrance can’t be worn with the survivor hood. So you can wear it with a Army Helmet(Fits) but not with other helmets. It looks like a balancing thing to me because survivor hood plus survivor helmet seems like a LOT of protetion.

Here’s an exploit I know. Wear the rain hood first, then the helmet. Then, buff up both using the tailor kit and pad both with leather and kevlar. It won’t work if you don’t wear then yet due to the added encumbrance, but if they’re worn already you can buff up the defense of those two for extra high defense. Heck, you can wear two rain coats, then the helmet, and buff all three up.

After reading your comments I ended up reverting the change to the Heavy Survivor Hood in favor of wearing a Light Survivor Hood. It provides much better protection than a Rain Hood and can still be worn with the Heavy Survivor Helmet.

(Just posting that info so that if anyone else encounters this they’ll know that there are other in game options.)

After reading your comments I ended up reverting the change to the Heavy Survivor Hood in favor of wearing a Light Survivor Hood. It provides much better protection than a Rain Hood and can still be worn with the Heavy Survivor Helmet.

(Just posting that info so that if anyone else encounters this they’ll know that there are other in game options.)[/quote]

You can wear a flame resistant hood under it all, and a survivor torch on top, as well. I’m thinking of wearing the wetsuit hood during winter instead, since it has a lot of warmth… but I might not even need it… we’ll see.