Suggestion: Rename Packmule to Packrat

Rats are cooler then mules. Or at least, if possible, change the trait name if you become a rat by ingesting science.

I’d be against this. Packmule implies carrying something heavy, and makes sense for a carrying trait. Pack rat, on the other hand, sounds like it would be an alternate name for the hoarder trait.

I can go either way.

The Packmule trait increases the volume of things you can carry, not the actual burden itself; that’s Strong Back territory, so I can see ‘Packrat’ as a viable alternative.

I’d actually really like to see some trait names change when you go post-threshold, it reflects the whole post-human thinking the mutations imply. Not sure if it would be in any way possible or worth it to do, but it would expand on some of the transhuman aspects of mutations.

I’d actually really like to see some trait names change when you go post-threshold, it reflects the whole post-human thinking the mutations imply. Not sure if it would be in any way possible or worth it to do, but it would expand on some of the transhuman aspects of mutations.[/quote]

Changing the character-screen profession name was one thing. Messing with trait names is another: I’d either have to make it switch traits entirely, or patch around the JSON call and test for mutations first. Lot of code, for not-a-lot of benefit. Either way, not something I consider worth the effort.

(Especially given all the bullshit I’ve gotten re bloat and describing things the wrong way.)

I my self think of packmules hauling broken down cars, and a packrat shoving that 1950 TV in their attic hoping no-one notices the cat in her attic that got crushed.

I thought packrat would be more like being able to carry more volume, and packmule being able to carry heavier stuff.

A packrat is someone who hoards things, especially useless stuff, it doesn’t even have an implication of it being efficient AFAIK.

I’d argue that someone who hoards things would be better at maximizing available space. They would find a way to stuff that one additional piece of junk they found into their already stuffed to bursting backpack because they just can’t stand to leave it behind. A player who would want to take this trait is probably a bit of a packrat themselves anyways(I know I am).

Also, I don’t think packmule implies efficiency either, just that they are a dumb strong beast that carries heavy things.