Suddenly, increased night vision sight range

I have no idea what happened. But suddenly I can see 4 squares in darkness aboveground, but only 2 underground. It is 11pm. What am I missing?

That happened to me and I’m not entirely sure why it happened. The only thing I could think of that causes it (and this is pure speculation) is that maybe the moon has phases in the game and on a clear night the moon gives off enough light so that you can see further. I have no clue if this is the case but I was getting up to a 6 tile radius at some points and it seemed like the zombies could also see that far. I’m sure someone will post that I’m mistaken but maybe that is the case.

phases of the moon does sound like the most likely explanation :confused:
Also it would be affected by weather, I’d think. cloudy/thunderstorm = no way to see the moon, and underground you’re in pitch darkness anyway without a light source.

whisper its a buggggggggggggggggggggg whisper

I’ve noticed farther view distance when it’s ‘sunny’ at night. But if it’s a bug it could just be a coincidence.

I am pretty sure it has to do with the seasons/moon, this has happened to me as well. My sight range during the night increased every few days until it became the new season, then it reset the night vision range to the default.

moonphases, yes. at least it was written up that way in whale’s changelogs on the old site.

If it’s the moon/weather, then there needs to be player feedback. One can see a full moon and decide that maybe raiding town tonight isn’t a great idea if the zeds enjoy the increased light too.

[quote=“HurlockHolmes, post:6, topic:466”]I am pretty sure it has to do with the seasons/moon, this has happened to me as well. My sight range during the night increased every few days until it became the new season, then it reset the night vision range to the default.[/quote] So it pretty much matches the lunar calendar.

moonphases, yes. at least it was written up that way in whale's changelogs on the old site.

So I think we’re all agreed then. Different phases of the moon. Wow, didn’t think that was in. >.>

I’m not sure if it does or not, but weather should have an effect as well. Rain would cut our vision in half during the day. Morning fog? forget leaving shelter.

And randomly in the forums while we are discussing weather. Sometimes I step outside and i get wet (understandable) but when i come in I can’t tell what clothes are wet or dry unless I examine each article of clothing. A color scheme or (wet) would help keep the playable characters dry, happy, etc. And a towel to dry off with.

[quote=“Soa, post:10, topic:466”]I’m not sure if it does or not, but weather should have an effect as well. Rain would cut our vision in half during the day. Morning fog? forget leaving shelter. Raid the town now while you still have the chance!

And randomly in the forums while we are discussing weather. Sometimes I step outside and i get wet (understandable) but when i come in I can’t tell what clothes are wet or dry unless I examine each article of clothing. A color scheme or (wet) would help keep the playable characters dry, happy, etc. And a towel to dry off with.[/quote]

Fixed. Also, I don’t get why being wet bothers so many people. It’s just water people. Maybe being covered in acid rain sucks but it isn’t always acid rain and I’m sure there’s a way code wise that the effects of acid rain could distinguish from normal rain anyhow.

Being rained-on reduces morale, up to -60 for Rain or -30 for Drizzle. Less than -50 Morale or so makes one too depressed to craft–including boiling water or cooking food.

I agree that it’s a bit extreme, especially since protection from rain is such a binary state–either you’re equipping a cumbersome, low-storage Raincoat and are immune, or you’re not and you’re totally wet.

Uuh, I changed it ages ago that any clothing over a certain warmth negated rain.

Darkling can you update the cataclysm main page with the latest version for windows? or if it’s unstable just post a latest update somewhere. I’m having real problems compiling the source with cygwin. Seems trenchcoats don’t negate rain in the current one-- it’s v0.2.

Regular cotton trenchcoats are below the threshold. Leather jackets, trenchcoats, winter coats, fur coats and peacoats all negate the rain penalty.

Could that be added to their description?

Also, wasn’t rain protection based on environmental protection? I recall reading somewhere that for something to protect from rain it needed at least 2 points on that, but leather jackets (the ones you loot) only provide 1.

Nope, it’s based on warmth. I’m the one who added it :stuck_out_tongue:

Can you tell us what the threshold is?

Currently torso warmth of 35 or greater. I haven’t had a chance to properly go over the item list just yet, so it’ll probably be reworked when that happens.

Grand, thanks!