StatsThoughSkills

How does StatsThoughSkills work?

Your stats are normalized at the start of the game (8’s all around), and at midnight every game day the mod calculates your new stats depending on the skills you have.

Example if you have lots of melee skills, your strength will go up, if you have first aid then your intelligence goes up, dodging gives you dexterity and so forth.

It kinda makes for a tougher start, since you start with only 8 in every stat, but at the same time you’ll be able to spend more creation points into traits and skills… If you’re feeling extra cheaty you could even drop all your stats to 4 to give you 16 extra points to spend, and during the first midnight it gets recalculated.

It’s a nice mod as an idea, but right now it gets very overpowered very quickly, since as your stats go up your skills will go up, given a few in game weeks of training and surviving, your guy will have 12+ in all stats, if not higher than that.

Maybe there should be a StatsThroughTraining?

I’ve seen something like this in the suggestions fourm, but I can’t find it at the moment. Anyway, here’s how I think it should go:

Strength training like calisthenics, weights, running around, moving heavy objects like crates, swimming, fighting, and just general everyday rigors can up the strength stat over time. (Probably the easiest to train, maybe needs a prerequisite like having a hunger stat above starving to increase strength and gives a bonus to getting stronger when you’re full.)

Dexterity, things like rope climbing, dodging, stretching, performing acrobatic feats, etc.

Intelligence, Things like mind games, regular old reading, crafting, binding wounds, hacking computers, speech stuff, etc.

Perception, Shooting guns, bows, throwing rocks, using slings, playing darts, etc.

That’s all I could think of at the moment.

[quote=“Rot, post:3, topic:10896”]Maybe there should be a StatsThroughTraining?

I’ve seen something like this in the suggestions fourm, but I can’t find it at the moment. Anyway, here’s how I think it should go:

Strength training like calisthenics, weights, running around, moving heavy objects like crates, swimming, fighting, and just general everyday rigors can up the strength stat over time. (Probably the easiest to train, maybe needs a prerequisite like having a hunger stat above starving to increase strength and gives a bonus to getting stronger when you’re full.)

Dexterity, things like rope climbing, dodging, stretching, performing acrobatic feats, etc.

Intelligence, Things like mind games, regular old reading, crafting, binding wounds, hacking computers, speech stuff, etc.

Perception, Shooting guns, bows, throwing rocks, using slings, playing darts, etc.

That’s all I could think of at the moment.[/quote]

The only issue with a bunch of them is that it would need a whole new group of counters to track improvement of the stats. Like a counter that tracks accumulative physical strain, and potentially a rust system too, perhaps even a burnout system that you can’t just grind up your strength to 20 in a week.

Something along the lines of the books would work, like using dumbbells to up strength, jump ropes to improve dexterity, and whatnot… But it poses the question of it being too OP (or not useful enough).

The four main stats have a huge effect on the gameplay, high strength can make people pseudo-hulks that are able to carry 60g drums filled with water. High intelligence can make people super quick in learning and up their skills in no time at all. Dex/Per can make people Hawkeye-level archers that can headshot a fly at 30 tiles range.

Whilst it’s a nice idea to be able to improve stats, it does pose a quagmire of issues all on itself. Either you allow people to improve it through whatever means, and it’ll mean people will grind themselves into demi-gods, or you don’t allow it and people complain that their base stats prevent them being anything other than ‘ordinary’.

Does you stats drop if you lose skills from skill rust?

Yes

Theoretically, if this was real life I WOULD get as much supplies as I can and grind myself to become a demigod. Thinking about it too, even in regular cata with stats through skills you still end up grinding the shit out of your game, becoming demigod-like and even without it you acquire skills and supplies that basically make you invulnerable to anything. The chance is there, but it’s up to you if you want to take it or not.

However I propose something, maybe say training becomes much much less effective after putting down 10 or so points worth of training in a specific stat, and after a while you may not see any progress at all. That way, stats can stay around 20 ish and not blast up to the 60’s.