Starting Scenario Concept: School

I’m amazed at folks’ inability to figure out the line for unacceptable content: no specifically abusing folks, nor folks being abused, for amusement value.

School kids sheltered in place, went zed anyway, here’s one who survived? To the degree it’s damaging, it happened before we were on-site. You’re not abusing anyone, nor are others being abused for you to watch/be a Big Bloody Hero to Save, so 's OK.

Blurbs are generally OK, though try to keep 'em to two lines or less since some languages take up a lot more space than USian English does. Wuzzy’s yelled at me once or twice for that, re mutations. Some folks play using the default terminal size of 80 characters wide by 24 high, and there’s only so much room for everything.

Missed the Skater trait there, and IME quad skates don’t seem that common outside of roller rinks? A preteen/teenager seems like the sort who would want the rollerblades to me. Thing with skaters is that all they need to scrounge effectively is storage, since the skates make them faster than most everything in the game (with fitted rollerblades on skateable terrain, your movement points take you twice as far. Critters’d need 200 move to keep up with you). So though the hoodie isn’t particularly good storage gear, it’s much better than the no-storage gear the other Skaters get.

Church kid runs into problems if you intend for folks to take Spiritual with it, since we try not to give an advantage to any particular religion. IMO “here’s a ready-out-of-chargen Good 'Murrican Christian” is an advantage. Quiverfull house is fairly new, and glad you found it worthwhile. DDA’s take on pre-Cataclysm US is indeed pretty bleak.

Kids routinely slip contraband into schools, so I’m not hugely concerned about the delinquent having paraphernalia on hand.

OK, so perhaps one point for the rich kid: carry capacity - no survival gear + high-powered stimulant.

Survivalist Jr., well, yeah the survivalist has about 6-7 points of skills before we even look at the gear. So let’s go with 3 points for the kid and upgrade the adult to 4-5?

Bionic student, my take is that one can pump IN to 14 and then let the booster give 16, making just about any IN-based task fairly easy (and giving a pretty decent save v. Amigara) right from chargen. 14+ in a stat is prohibitively expensive at game start. So I’m definitely not giving a discount for the fact that having the aug prevents installing it later: aug in the head NOW is worth a few found and successfully installed in the field.
Bionic power does come charged, last I checked, and yeah, the batteries aren’t needed for life-support purposes (we gave the bionic patient a set because there the blurb mentions that the augs are kinda vital). Probably worth issuing a Mk 1 power supply rather than 2, also, since the sustained power isn’t THAT necessary.

All in all? Yeah, these aren’t perfectly ready for prime time but they could make it.

[quote=“KA101, post:21, topic:8645”]I’m amazed at folks’ inability to figure out the line for unacceptable content: no specifically abusing folks, nor folks being abused, for amusement value.

School kids sheltered in place, went zed anyway, here’s one who survived? To the degree it’s damaging, it happened before we were on-site. You’re not abusing anyone, nor are others being abused for you to watch/be a Big Bloody Hero to Save, so 's OK.[/quote]

“Children in dangerous situations” is a common bugaboo, so I didn’t know. That works.

Oh boy, I’ll try.

Two lines is not enough space to express my pity for these people.

Fair points.

It just kind of occurred to me that the start would work well with players who did choose to take Spiritual, and that the background seemed like it fit flavourwise. That said, it was a pretty spur-of-the-moment thought and if you’d just as soon drop a start that grants a particular religious text on the grounds that it benefits Spiritual characters of that particular faith, I can parse that. (Alternately, the KJB text could be dropped and the holy symbol left, with the background description genericised a little, though it’d lose that particular splash of flavour regarding the peculiar juxtaposition of patriotism and Christianity that exists in the United States. With demographics shifting the way they are, it may not even be nearly the case in 2042 that it is today.)

I was mostly thinking in balance terms, like if you’d be comfortable with JD at 1 point without the cigs/lighter/slingshot but prefer 2 points with it or something. Alternately, yeah, maybe what you suggested earlier, keep the gear as it is and give it a minor nicotine addiction to keep it down to 1 point, if you think that keeps it more flavourful.

That works.

Works. (I admit, I’d assumed that what was going on was that some discounting for package deals was intentional, with the skills tab being more for tweaking for concept or grabbing a couple ranks of Dodge if you really feel it’s important.)

But damn, this kid might actually have a fightier start than the Juvenile Delinquent.

Sharp rebuttal. 3 points for still coming with fewer bionics and whatnot than the bionic boffin, or 4 points and up the cost on the BB as per the survivalist thing above?

Works and works, knock off the spare batteries and knock the Power Storage Mk. II down to a Mk. I.

Is it normal to feel warm and fuzzy inside?

I’m PRing an upgrade to the MA professions ATM, so that’ll increase the Martial Artist’s cost, at least.

Skater: OK at 1 point for the moment.
Church Kid: yeah, I’d think losing the bible would suffice. Doesn’t have to say to what church the kid got hauled off.
JD: I’d take slingshot and lighter over the smokes–sometimes it’s OK just to set things on fire.
Rich Kid:, OK, 1 point.
Survivalist Jr: Yeah, that’s not going below 3, I’m afraid. Will boost the Survivalist as part of the PR introducing these, if not earlier.
Bionic Kid: with the reduction there I’m OK with 3. 2 would be the absolute minimum, and in that case I’d ask the rich kid to get boosted too.

Warm fuzzies are a normal part of your first few PRs, yeah.

[quote=“AllisonW, post:16, topic:8645”]Church Kid: Costs 0
Starts with: flag shirt, jacket, panties/briefs, pants, sneakers, knit scarf, holy symbol, backpack, wrapped PB&J sandwich, plastic bottle of milk (2), King James Bible
Starting Skills: none
Your parents were… you know the type. Flag-waving patriots who showed up to church every Sunday and dragged you with them. Sadly, it seems like God didn’t save them. Will you draw strength from faith to get through the dark days ahead, or is the Cataclysm proof there is no loving god?[/quote]
It’s an interesting (roleplaying-wise) start, but would it be possible to have it without the heavy-handed shoehorning?

Dropping the specific religious text and the reference to the parents would be enough, IMO.

[quote=“KA101, post:23, topic:8645”]I’m PRing an upgrade to the MA professions ATM, so that’ll increase the Martial Artist’s cost, at least.

Church Kid: yeah, I’d think losing the bible would suffice. Doesn’t have to say to what church the kid got hauled off.
JD: I’d take slingshot and lighter over the smokes–sometimes it’s OK just to set things on fire.
Survivalist Jr: Yeah, that’s not going below 3, I’m afraid. Will boost the Survivalist as part of the PR introducing these, if not earlier.
Bionic Kid: with the reduction there I’m OK with 3. 2 would be the absolute minimum, and in that case I’d ask the rich kid to get boosted too.[/quote]

Those all work. If you like, you could also cut the JD’s lighter down to a matchbook–lighters are a little more iconic for smokers, but a matchbook would be every bit as fitting for someone taking their first steps into pyromaniacal vandalism. Also, it cuts down their available charges and can’t be disassembled into a pilot light, for what it’s worth.

wait wait wait am I gonna have to learn to code stuff now? I mean I grabbed Notepad++ on the advice of someone else who plays the game and who made a biodiesel mod, and sometimes I can get an idea of what a PR is doing looking at the code tweaks on Jenkins (like I can tell that the most recent experimental cut the secondary skill requirement for sheaths/pistols down to 1 instead of 3 and removed the need for a book to craft a scabbard), but it’s a bit intimidating. (oh well, maybe it’s just time to put on my big girl pants)

[quote=“AllisonW, post:25, topic:8645”][quote=“KA101, post:23, topic:8645”]I’m PRing an upgrade to the MA professions ATM, so that’ll increase the Martial Artist’s cost, at least.

Bionic Kid: with the reduction there I’m OK with 3. 2 would be the absolute minimum, and in that case I’d ask the rich kid to get boosted too.[/quote]

Those all work. If you like, you could also cut the JD’s lighter down to a matchbook–lighters are a little more iconic for smokers, but a matchbook would be every bit as fitting for someone taking their first steps into pyromaniacal vandalism. Also, it cuts down their available charges and can’t be disassembled into a pilot light, for what it’s worth.

wait wait wait am I gonna have to learn to code stuff now? I mean I grabbed Notepad++ on the advice of someone else who plays the game and who made a biodiesel mod, and sometimes I can get an idea of what a PR is doing looking at the code tweaks on Jenkins (like I can tell that the most recent experimental cut the secondary skill requirement for sheaths/pistols down to 1 instead of 3 and removed the need for a book to craft a scabbard), but it’s a bit intimidating. (oh well, maybe it’s just time to put on my big girl pants)[/quote]

I’ll accept matchbook.

You don’t have to code anything–technically neither do I, though I didn’t get this position through posting on the forums–but this is a fairly straightforward JSON job. All you gotta do is get onto Git, set up your repo, fork DDA, branch for the PR, and use N++ to make the edits. Save and push, file the PR, and it’s likely to make it in.

If you need help with Git, we’re generally on the IRC and can give a hand in real-time there, or forum posting/PMs can work too.

All right, I’ve given this a bit more thought. I still plan to go ahead with it–apparently my blurbs have people wanting to actually play these, which makes me happy!–but given that I originally intended these for the school scenario Jakers proposed, if the PR is just going to be for the general-consumption profession pool instead, I may omit some ideas I had (like some of the extracurricular clubs and teams student variants) for being insufficiently different from existing professions. Skater Boy/Girl and Survivalist Jr. both seem pretty at risk of that particular designation, as does the basic Elementary Student snippet I posted on the first page. Rich Student, maybe. Bionic Student might still fit for people who want a Bionic Boffin-lite. Juvenile Delinquent and Church Kid I think both kind of have their own identity, though for the general-consumption profession pool the vaguely religious start (with the holy symbol and all) probably doesn’t need to specify age. Anyone have any suggestions on edits/removals I should make if these are just going into the general pool?

The above would definitely change if/when the school scenario makes it in, though. It’d also change if NPC development ever hits the point where a trait (like “Child”) that affects how NPCs react to the character in a way more complex than Persuasion/Intimidation chances would be viable, but that’si probably a long way off.

Also, on terminology: I think I’d change the names of the Prepper Kid and the Rich Elementary Student, given that thinking back to my own school days, “prep” in school usually meant rich kid. So Prepper Kid would become what KA101 called it–Survivalist Jr.–and Rich Elementary Student would probably become Preppy Student.

Dropped into the IRC chat and it sounds like the school scenario can be done, so all the students are go again. I’ll revise the blurbs and whatnot here. Let’s see…

Elementary Student: Costs 0
Starts with: t-shirt, jacket, panties/boyshorts/briefs, jeans, socks, sneakers, backpack, wrapped PB&J sandwich, plastic bottle of milk, book of fairy tales
Starting Skills: None
You’re just a kid, and now the world has turned into something out of one of your bad dreams. The grown-ups you relied on are all dead–or undead–now. What do you do?

Skater Girl/Boy: Costs 1
Traits: Skater
Starts with: t-shirt, hoodie, boyshorts/briefs, jeans, socks, pair of rollerblades, fingerless gloves, pair of elbow pads, pair of knee pads, skid lid, plastic bottle of sports drink (2)
Starting Skills: Dodging (1)
You love to skate! At least now the grown-ups aren’t telling you where you can’t roll.

Note on the above: If dropping the hoodie and the rank of Dodging got it down to 0 points, that might be preferable, but that’s my experienced player preferences for spending fewer points on professions talking, so maybe it should be taken with a grain of salt.

Student of Faith: Costs 0
Starts with: dress shirt, jacket, panties/briefs, pants, sneakers, knit scarf, holy symbol, backpack, wrapped PB&J sandwich, plastic bottle of milk (2)
Starting Skills: none
Your parents were deeply faithful, and tried to raise you with the same values. Will you lean on faith to make it through the dark days ahead, or is the Cataclysm proof that there can be no loving supreme being?

Note on the above: It’s lost some of its identity; now I think the only thing setting it apart is probably the holy symbol. If that’s sufficient, I’ll leave it in.

Juvenile Delinquent: Costs 1
Starts with: t-shirt, hoodie, boyshorts/briefs, jeans, socks, sneakers, fingerless gloves, matchbook, 2 hairpins, slingshot, marbles (40), comic book
Starting Skills: Melee (1), Marksmanship (1), Dodging (1)
You never cared for grown-ups telling you what to do and they didn’t like it, and that’s how you ended up spending most of your days since the age of six in the principal’s office. Now, not needing grown-ups to tell you what to do is the only reason you’re alive. Man, you really should’ve played hooky today.

Preppy Student: Costs 1
Starts with: dress shirt, jacket, panties/boyshorts/briefs, pants, socks, dress shoes, skinny tie, tie clip, stylish sunglasses, knit scarf, wrist watch, messenger bag, glass bottle of mineral water, PDA, cell phone, Adderall (10), money bundle, How to Succeed in Business
Starting Skills: Speaking (1)
Your parents were busy, wealthy, important people, who wanted you to have every advantage, and to excel in everything, and to be “successful,” whatever that meant. If only they’d ever let you experience childhood, or ever shown you their love. You’re certainly not getting either one now.

Survivalist Jr.: Costs 3
Starts with: t-shirt, jacket, panties/boyshorts/briefs, cargo pants, socks, boots, knit scarf, backpack, granola (4), plastic bottle of clean water, pair of scissors, magnifying glass, flashlight, first aid kit (1)
Starting Skills: Survival (1), Fabrication (1), First Aid (1)
Your parents were crazy preppers who thought some “cataclysm” was coming, and insisted on you learning survival skills and carrying a mini survival kit in your backpack. Turns out they were right. You didn’t get a chance to thank them for preparing you. The only thing you can do for them now is what they always hoped you would do in the dark days ahead: survive.

Note on the above: assuming this makes it into the general pool, the first aid kit would probably disqualify it from being available to Infected starts. I’d be willing to drop the cargo pants and maybe some of the stuff in the survival kit if there’s some way this could be dropped to 2 points, but that’s probably just experienced-player preferences talking again.

Bionic Student: Costs 3
Starts with: dress shirt, jacket, panties/boyshorts/briefs, pants, socks, dress shoes, skinny tie, tie clip, stylish sunglasses, knit scarf, wrist watch, messenger bag, glass bottle of mineral water, PDA, cell phone, money bundle
Starting Skills: None
Your parents were busy, wealthy, important people, who wanted you to have every advantage, and to excel in everything, and to be “successful,” whatever that meant. They went so far in the pursuit of making sure every test would be an A+ and that you’d be “successful” that they had you outfitted with bionics to make you smarter and never forget anything. And now, you are facing the most dire test yet, and once again you had better succeed, or else.
Bionics: Enhanced Memory Banks, Cerebral Booster, Power Storage, Battery System

Let’s see if I can come up with anything else for when the school scenario goes in. These are probably a little less inspired, but eh.

Dodgeball Player: Costs 0-1?
Starts with: t-shirt, light jacket, panties/boyshorts/briefs, jeans, socks, lowtop tennis shoes, runner pack, plastic bottle of fruit juice
Starting Skills: Throwing (1), Dodging (1)
You liked to play dodgeball, where failing to dodge the ball meant you were out. Now failing to dodge threatens your life. Don’t slip up.

Science Club Member: Costs 1
Starts with: t-shirt, light jacket, panties/boyshorts/briefs, jeans, socks, sneakers, safety goggles, backpack, chemistry set, chemistry textbook
Starting Skills: Cooking (1)
You were a member of the school science club, and right now you are as upset as you’ve ever been that the school wouldn’t let you play with the really fun chemicals that make things go boom. At least now no one’s around to tell you that you can’t–if you can get out of here alive.

A/V Club Member: Costs 0
Starts with: Linux t-shirt, light jacket, panties/boyshorts/briefs, jeans, socks, sneakers, backpack, Ham Radio Illustrated
Starting Skills: Computers (1), Electronics (1)
You were a member of the school A/V club. Are those even a thing in 2042? You’re sure there’s some way you can use your technical skills to help stay alive. You just haven’t figured out how to make an awesome death ray yet.

Note: The copy of Ham Radio Illustrated is there for the recipes.

EDIT: forgot for a moment to switch the Skater Girl/Boy to rollerblades

UPDATE: I made a modified version of professions.json with all the above professions added, including the most recent ones. I did make a few slight tweaks where it seemed appropriate, like a few places where I probably should have thought to add a scarf, and apparently I can’t add a plastic bottle of milk, so I subbed in fruit juice instead. (Similarly, I couldn’t specify quantities for things like first aid kits or granola, so Survivalist Jr. got 8 and 2 of those respectively.) I haven’t tested it yet, but I’ll take a crack at it shortly. Devs–do you want me to include the staff/faculty professions Jakers posted in the OP, or just the students? Jakers, do you want me to add the staff/faculty if the devs want them?

UPDATE: Debugged and snipped all the blurbs down till they fit. Works! My only hangups now are that the Juvenile Delinquent spawns wearing the hairpins, which is a minor nitpick, and I kind of want to add a student that’s -1 point. Presumably it’d be comparable to the Elementary Student, but lacking a backpack, lunch, or book (and probably also lacking a jacket and scarf). I just don’t know what to call it. Also, the professions will have to be added to the whitelist for appropriate scenarios, it looks like; in my test they’re only available for Evacuee and Missed. (I can see about doing that, and don’t worry, I won’t enable Survivalist Jr. for the Infected start or anything.)

UPDATE: And the inclusion in scenario whitelists is done and debugged. Added all of them to the Burning Building start; added all of them but Survivalist Jr. to the Infected start; added Survivalist Jr. to the Wilderness start.

UPDATE: Got signed up on Git and did the tutorial, so now I know what this “branching” thing is for and how a pull request is done and whatnot. Now I just need to figure out how to upload the modified JSONs to a branch of my fork.

UPDATE: Uploaded the changes to the appropriate branch of my fork and filed a pull request.

Figured maybe I ought to link to the PR here: https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/11000

I got Jakers’s professions in now. :slight_smile:

Also, I’m going to share my current concerns with the PR here, in case anyone has any input:

One, I’m considering adding a student profession that fills the -1 point niche. It’d probably be like the Elementary Student minus the backpack, lunch, book, and probably scarf. I’m currently thinking “Unprepared Student” (leaning away from it, as it’s kind of unwieldy) or “Poor Student.” Leaning towards the latter, as it lends itself to thematic things like being on the free school lunch program (hence no lunch) and their ratty old backpack finally falling apart at a bad time (hence no backpack).

Two, the Student of Faith doesn’t seem to have much identity or much of a gameplay niche of its own. Would there be any objections if I dropped it?

Three, similar to the above, I’m reconsidering the necessity of the Science Club Member. The big issue is that once the school scenario is in, starting with a chemistry set and chemistry textbook is likely going to be superfluous, as those are easy spawns in regional schools. Alternatively, I could drop the chemistry set and textbook and give them a point each of Electronics, Mechanics, and Computers instead, making them sort of a Lab Tech Jr. If I did that, I’d probably drop the A/V Club Member. Would there be any objections to either of these?

All of this is kinda neat, and leads me to a …not a problem, but a…wierd thing I’ve noticed with the graphics packs.

For the most part, all of the ‘default graphical characters’ are muscular blonde guys or generic blonde women. There are no graphics packs for old people, or kid pcs, or teens, or whatever.

This is stupid, I guess, but it might actually be nice to have some basic physical information stored somewhere, like age, basic physical appearance, etc., similar to what you might see in more traditional roguelikes. I mean, its not necessary, strictly speaking, but it might add some immersion (be an interesting challenge to start as a 7 year old, though I imagine at first it wouldn’t really mean anything), and encourage graphics pack makers to have a broader range of default PC sprites, and even if not, still encourages imagination and immersion.

A big thanks + plenty of hugs to all those who helped contribute to making this happen! Glad to see such good ideas could be fleshed out from my basic concept.

Also @secretfire, that’s a problem I considered whilst looking at the students, but for now until new sprites are possibly added, wonderful imagination will have to be used to think up the characters. I think adding new sprites for a character is somewhat challenging. Maybe people could use a children version of a tileset that adds child character sprites? I don’t know.

But yeah, a big thanks once again =3

Well, it’s not quite done yet! I only got the professions in. The school scenario is yet to come, but with the professions in, it seems like it’ll happen eventually.

I was thinking if the school maps were in JSON I might be able to prepare a modded school map for the scenario (with an understocked/empty basement shelter or barricaded room or whatever), buuuut they’re in mapgen.cpp so I got nuthin’.

[quote=“AllisonW, post:32, topic:8645”]Well, it’s not quite done yet! I only got the professions in. The school scenario is yet to come, but with the professions in, it seems like it’ll happen eventually.

I was thinking if the school maps were in JSON I might be able to prepare a modded school map for the scenario (with an understocked/empty basement shelter or barricaded room or whatever), buuuut they’re in mapgen.cpp so I got nuthin’.[/quote]
In Gakkou Gurashi the characters survived because they were on the roof. A good idea would be to have the character start on the roof, and then make there way down to the bottom level, with progressively more zombies as you reach the surface.

[quote=“Frostwood, post:33, topic:8645”][quote=“AllisonW, post:32, topic:8645”]Well, it’s not quite done yet! I only got the professions in. The school scenario is yet to come, but with the professions in, it seems like it’ll happen eventually.

I was thinking if the school maps were in JSON I might be able to prepare a modded school map for the scenario (with an understocked/empty basement shelter or barricaded room or whatever), buuuut they’re in mapgen.cpp so I got nuthin’.[/quote]
In Gakkou Gurashi the characters survived because they were on the roof. A good idea would be to have the character start on the roof, and then make there way down to the bottom level, with progressively more zombies as you reach the surface.[/quote]

Buildings with additional aboveground floors are still limited to the Experimental Z-Levels mod, I believe. So if there’s another Z-level involved, it’ll be the basement.