Starter Strat for those who suck in .71

Follow this: http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=2605.0

This is for people who die and can’t get anywhere. You can have a stronger start characters. Its similiar to Adventure mode in DF where you can make a really strong Character. So if your frustrated and you die CONSTANTLY. Do this. you are still weak, since skills matter most, but its better than before. Use this to learn the game. After you get passed the early game ,you may get bored due to the game being too easy.

Now buff yourself. Its ok to do this to learn the game. The default is 6 creation points. You can bump this to 24.

Go to options

1. adjust starter points (cant remeber the exact option, Im at work). raise to 24 from 6
  2. raise total trait points to 24.
  3. go to skill erode and go to 2, to turn it of (eventually this makes the game too easy, since you never get weaker, but you suck, so you can use it to learn the game).
  4. as always increase the size of the screen. you will need to restart. I like it to be as big as my monitor. This isn’t just for ‘easy’ start. You might as well see everything on the screen. May take several attempts to get the adjustments correct.

Creation (for .71 since attributes changes)
Strength: 14
Dexterity: 14 (dex was the worst attribute before .71 now its the best)
Int: whatever you have left. Doesn’t seem to help with training in .71
Perception: 12 (no value in raising above 12 in .71… i dont think. have to look at the code)

Traits:
Negative:
Far-sight/nearsighted (you need bifocals,but they are pretty common. as long as you wear these its unnoticeable, so grab and stockpile all the ones you find. )
ugly/truthteller (meaningless since npcs are disabled by default)
wool allergy (plenty of other warm clothing and you can craft. this is meaningless)
Trigger Happy: you wont have automatic weapons early. This is pretty minor anyway
Heavy Sleeper: meaningless
Forgetful (you turned off skill erosion)

Positive:
Fleet-Footed/Quick (get both. So you can run away)
Night Vision (absolutely have to have. night raids on town are safer and you need this. )
Pain Resistant (you get huge penalties to attributes/speed when you are in pain)
Faster Learner (big edge to training skills)
tough (exra hp keeps you alive. you dont get more HP as you get better. so this is good)
Fast Healer: you heal alot faster, especially when sleeping
Gourmand or Robust Genetics: Gourmand is better early. drink is an issue. So you can eat more berries to stay healthier. I prefer robust genetics,but that is better mid to late game. so wont help you get started. up to you. if you die alot, do gourmand. you can train faster with it.

No professions.

Skills:
Melee
Dodge
used to pick archery since its hard to get to 1 but at 1 its great, see bottom of my other thread on how to make a slingshot to train archery instead.

[quote=“youtoo, post:1, topic:2510”]Follow this: http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=2605.0

This is for people who die and can’t get anywhere. You can have a stronger start characters. Its similiar to Adventure mode in DF where you can make a really strong Character. So if your frustrated and you die CONSTANTLY. Do this. you are still weak, since skills matter most, but its better than before. Use this to learn the game. After you get passed the early game ,you may get bored due to the game being too easy.

Now buff yourself. Its ok to do this to learn the game. The default is 6 creation points. You can bump this to 24.

Go to options

1. adjust starter points (cant remeber the exact option, Im at work). raise to 24 from 6
  2. raise total trait points to 24.
  3. go to skill erode and go to 2, to turn it of (eventually this makes the game too easy, since you never get weaker, but you suck, so you can use it to learn the game).
    Wrong, you need to use option 4 now.
  4. as always increase the size of the screen. you will need to restart. I like it to be as big as my monitor. This isn’t just for ‘easy’ start. You might as well see everything on the screen. May take several attempts to get the adjustments correct.

Creation (for .71 since attributes changes)
Strength: 14
Dexterity: 14 (dex was the worst attribute before .71 now its the best)
Int: whatever you have left. Doesn’t seem to help with training in .71
Wrong, it speeds training with higher level books.
Perception: 12 (no value in raising above 12 in .71… i dont think. have to look at the code)

Traits:
Negative:
Far-sight/nearsighted (you need bifocals,but they are pretty common. as long as you wear these its unnoticeable, so grab and stockpile all the ones you find. )
ugly/truthteller (meaningless since npcs are disabled by default)
wool allergy (plenty of other warm clothing and you can craft. this is meaningless)
Trigger Happy: you wont have automatic weapons early. This is pretty minor anyway
Wrong, It causes you to waste bullets. Besides, if you really want to min max, though and glass jaw cancel out the reduction to maximum head hitpoints while increasing the maximum hp to eveything else.
Heavy Sleeper: meaningless
Forgetful (you turned off skill erosion)

Positive:
Fleet-Footed/Quick (get both. So you can run away)
Wrong, fleet footed only works on flat ground. The fleet footed bonus is lost if you must travel across obsticles for some reason.
Night Vision (absolutely have to have. night raids on town are safer and you need this. )
Pain Resistant (you get huge penalties to attributes/speed when you are in pain)
Faster Learner (big edge to training skills)
tough (exra hp keeps you alive. you dont get more HP as you get better. so this is good)
Fast Healer: you heal alot faster, especially when sleeping
Gourmand or Robust Genetics: Gourmand is better early. drink is an issue. So you can eat more berries to stay healthier. I prefer robust genetics,but that is better mid to late game. so wont help you get started. up to you. if you die alot, do gourmand. you can train faster with it.
Again, taking off fleet footed can let you take Robust Genetics.
No professions.

Skills:
Wrong, points put into skills are wasted unless you intend to make a very specialized character right at the start.
Melee
Dodge
used to pick archery since its hard to get to 1 but at 1 its great, see bottom of my other thread on how to make a slingshot to train archery instead.[/quote]

Also suprised that you didn’t include some form of martial arts, or andriod for free bionics upgrades.

Also, why isn’t this in your other thread here. -->http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=2605.0

Why make a new thread?

I would not say that he is necessarily wrong, just different.

Different people have different playing styles, so in reality nobody is wrong. [size=1pt]Unless they disagree with me.[/size] :slight_smile: