Character generation points survey

The survey is one question only: click here

I’m wondering if the default 6 is actually liked much. In any case it would be interesting to see general distribution.

Also some players may be unaware they can change it (and that it isn’t considered cheating). I’ll post the results here too, either after we get at least a 100 responses or a week passes by.

I tend to go with 8 (and 14 max disability points) to speed up some of the tedium of getting my skills to where they need to be.

I play with 10. With no way to raise the stats 6 is just too low for me.

I do always start with the default 6 but the +10 extra from Really Bad Day is just irresistible. Do I therefore start with 16 points, if I consider Really Bad Day as trivial added difficulty? Am I therefore a cheater? So in my case it might be prudent to ask if 10 is too much compensation for RBD start.

What I really struggle with is picking the traits. I want 12-15 in each primary stat so it’s the trait selection that makes me spend an hour in the character creation screen. I do have bent the default rules in the way of allowing almost unlimited negative/positive traits. Is that cheating? I don’t know, and that’s good enough answer for my gamer conscience. :smiley:

The struggle may not be about the number of starting points but about the point costs of various stats and traits, or how their effects are balanced. Is the default 6 enough? It feels small but then again CDDA is very easy on default settings.

This is to anyone who wants a real hardcore experience - get fast zeds. Nuff said.

I make ninja char with 15 points. Fast running, quick, deft, parkour, adrenaline. All the crazy shit to make action real fast-paced. When you play like this action points really matter. Until you get 20+ defense from clothes anyway.

I only ever use the challenge starts now, so 6 is plenty to build a fun character.

I’ve gotten used to the default, yeah.

If you’re feeling really cheap, there’s always a midnight start plus the Stats Through Skills mod.

6 points is enough currently.

Whats cheating? Well when you set up a game with your terms … no matter which its not cheating… your making the rules.
When you then while already playing break the rules set by you or others for the game then thats cheating.

So if you increase the point value your not a cheater in my book…
Then again if you can t manage to survive with 6 points i recommend to get gud .

I start with the default 6, and don’t start with any of the challenges and get by just fine.
The only reason you’d want to boost the default skill points is if you’re impatient and want to get going as soon as possible, or you’re not great at starting off and need the extra points to assist.
Given, I’m playing with slow and mundane zombies, so that probably helps a good bit.

One thing I’d boost points for is to make sense of your character, They should know a few good skills before entering the Cataclysm.
Every one has cooked something at some point, and very one has thrown a ball or two. What I’m trying to say is you should at least have the knowledge of a normal human being starting out.

(We’re at 67 data points. We might get a report this weekend even.)

I find it very cool that with a different amounts of chargen points you will effectively have a different game to play (and add mods to that etc.). I tend to play within the 21 - 50 points bracket and go for more of the “bob the builder” fun (look, it’s fun for me! :)).

I still remember how hilarious my first character was, with starting points set to 1000.

[quote=“dRbiG, post:10, topic:10425”](We’re at 67 data points. We might get a report this weekend even.)

I find it very cool that with a different amounts of chargen points you will effectively have a different game to play (and add mods to that etc.). I tend to play within the 21 - 50 points bracket and go for more of the “bob the builder” fun (look, it’s fun for me! :)).[/quote]

I play with 6, but that’s only because I tend to have enough for the professions I pick. I can’t be asked to change the point setting but that’s also one of the reasons I don’t play as the better professions. I don’t see how you’d get a blackbelt character which would actually make some sense on default.

The power of min-max.

Somethings I’ll do a 12-point game, but lately 6-point has been just fine.

These days I just put it at max value in order to free up as many points as I feel I want to use, mainly to bump up the various crafting skills and cut out some of the grind. I keep stats in normal range, take about 10 pts worth of advantages and disadvantages, and pick a middling profession, so not sure how many points I end up actually using.

Heh. Less cheaty is to simply bump up the MAX points, but not the starting value.

Experienced players will think the default is fine. Until you’ve played enough of the game to realize how to handle the early game.

Experienced players tend to prioritize stat points over skill points, because the only struggle is getting those initial skill points high enough to craft things.

Mine is set to 12. I got tired of taking various food traits and wearing mp3 players 24x7 for moods from eating negative foods to counter balance it. I honestly just don’t use mp3 players it seems more of a hack then adding a few points as it too easily shifts mood.

I prefer the burning/missing start in middle of a city.

excuse me while i steal this.

stats from skills mod + midnight start + higher trait point maxes == “FUN”

Kerbalkysm: Space Days Ahead.

And hell yes, STS is deliciously broken.

I usually play with 9 or 12. As-is 6 points often makes for a tedious start as you sink it all into stat points, pick up the same meaningless negative skills (lactose intolerance says hi) and never pick a background that costs points. Then the game becomes ‘find the nearest book store and spend a season reading to get skills’ which is fun the first few times but quickly becomes a time sink.

I try to make the early game difficult and play optimally given my starting scenario and stats. I’m interested in the survival more than the sandbox/construction element of the game. After I have a car and have a gun/book/food stash I usually stop playing. The lategame is mostly trivial and uninteresting as the game currently stands.

As a general rule though I try to spend extra points down the list: stats -> dis/advantages -> skills. That is, I never spend points gained from disadvantages on stats, only on advantages or skills, etc. It feels too cheaty to get your 12 points from disadvantages and spend them all on stats, which are a factor more valuable.

RESULTS AT 154 DATA POINTS: click here

Close to 50/50 of default 6 versus any other number of points :slight_smile: