Sound Values for Misc Horde-Spawning Activities

So I’ve been on the forum more than what I would consider a healthy amount of time and saw that a lot of people were using static+wander. Being a proud static player, I took this as a challenge to my CDDA survival prowess.
I booted up my laptop and got on CDDA (experimental from two weeks ago - still hadn’t a chance to update). Created a new world with static+wander and used the build I deemed most effective - but least played - for the task at hand: the strong thrower psycho hobo.

Did the usual stuff early game, made some two-by-fours, improvised stuff, some slings, some rocks, shards of glass. All set! (Disregard static NPC corpse in doorframe. Bastard didn’t have noteworthy items on his person, aside from a single molotov and a lighter.) So, I made it to town (three map tiles north of shelter) and went to the liquor store, as it was the closest building. I make my way through town, collecting loot in a grocery store cart. When suddenly…three regular zed 20 tiles to the south!! No matter, I’ll simply kite them through some nailboard traps. Alright! Zed dead!

Another crowd (three) of zombies were drawn by the zombie kickassery! Okay, let’s go again!

Another group appears! South this time! Rinse and repeat.

ANOTHER group spawns in! And there’s a damn hulk! Day freaking fuckin mafuckin fuckin mafuckin one and I get my static heiney beat by wander spawns! I may need to actually take up alcoholism.

Srsly though. All I did was break glass and yell at a moose! And unless shopping carts make noise, I doubt I did anything else, noise-wise. I’m not going to lower the spawn or anything, I’m looking to avoid the horde.
So, it would help if someone could direct me to (or had) a table of noises and subsequent noise levels caused by stuff.
Cheers!

I recently began playing static+wander, too. Town is very dangerous. I am not surprised by day1 hulk and shocker brute any more. Even pilfering some curtain strings for new knifespear becomes an adventure.

When playing with Wander Spawns, always be sure to check your damn map! Wander Spawns places flashing green Z’s on the map that signal the locations of hordes. If you have binoculars in your inventory, you can see them from farther away… While the Scout Perk also increases this distance. When a Green Z enters the same tile as you, it spawns all of the contents of the horde into your reality bubble.

You can use this to plan out your runs and be safe. Hordes can be kited away from key locations that you want to loot. Break Glass(2 tiles), get a talking doll(1 tile), a shotgun(10 tiles), or even a noisemaker(about 4 tiles) if you have the electronics skill. Also closing a metal door will attract hordes from 5 tiles away… From my own experiments, it kind of feels like every 5 points of sound you make(rounding down), will attract zombies from 1 tile away. That seems to be the general rule of thumb.

Alright then. Check my damn map! I’m utterly disappointed by my noobishness right now.
Thanks for the helpful replies. And just to clarify, you mean metal doors as in ones operated by winches, right? At garages?

I created another character, same world. Hopefully this’ll be a better run.

Even though I don’t play with Dynamic mode on, that’s useful information to know. Thanks for sharing!

[quote=“DeclanFrost, post:4, topic:13183”]Alright then. Check my damn map! I’m utterly disappointed by my noobishness right now.
Thanks for the helpful replies. And just to clarify, you mean metal doors as in ones operated by winches, right? At garages?

I created another character, same world. Hopefully this’ll be a better run.[/quote]

Yea, metal doors like the ones in Labs and military bases. Never close those kinds of doors unless it’s absolutely necessary to do so. It makes a stupid amount of noise that I never realized happened until I was playing with the first ever sound pack.

Hordes hearing was reworked some time ago.

Rough fotmula for horde hearing is sound/24.
Pistol shot sound is 180. 180/24=7.5=8 overmap tiles.

Also horde can hear sound only higher than 60.

Are you using updated version?

Yes, but considering I didn’t check the map for hordes, I may have just blindly wandered into one. Then all the noise just drew them toward me. To see if that was the case, I made a debug char and teleported to a horde tile, but without them seeing me. Then, I proceeded to make noise (same ones as before). Same thing. Drew a few, then more, then a lot. Least it wasn’t a bug, just a severe case of noobishness on my part.