Sound support

I will give you a video of a really good roguelike that i could not play yet, but just to make you see it’s sounds.

Is there a way to make cataclysm work like that? I think it would be really good for inmersion, and honestly, it sounds cool.

LC was successful in doing that, so why can’t we?

I like my RLs quiet.

In this case, it’s mostly just because no one has bothered. It’s not really all that difficult, but everyone who can handle “not all that difficult” has had other priorities for what is essentially a very low-demand feature.

(We’ve even got a soundtrack already recorded and ready to be plugged in as soon as it happens!)

It’d be an option, obviously.

Can’t wait for this to happen. Many people don’t realize just how much of human perception is taken from sound. Particularly in survival situations.

This could REALLY make the game tense.

I am VERY VERY interested in this.

Sound and some good tilesets (I know, I know: The “BAH, all we need is ASCII” crowd will descend on me shortly) will increase the number of people playing this game. This will broaden the overall support for CataDDA, both financially and through development contributions.

I think that too! Specially with the sound steps and broken windows… it makes you feel lonely… wich is a good ambience.

[quote=“Gideon, post:6, topic:5367”]Can’t wait for this to happen. Many people don’t realize just how much of human perception is taken from sound. Particularly in survival situations.

Sound and some good tilesets (I know, I know: The “BAH, all we need is ASCII” crowd will descend on me shortly) will increase the number of people playing this game. This will broaden the overall support for CataDDA, both financially and through development contributions.[/quote]
BAH, all we need is ASCII! :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“i2amroy, post:8, topic:5367”][quote=“Gideon, post:6, topic:5367”]Can’t wait for this to happen. Many people don’t realize just how much of human perception is taken from sound. Particularly in survival situations.

Sound and some good tilesets (I know, I know: The “BAH, all we need is ASCII” crowd will descend on me shortly) will increase the number of people playing this game. This will broaden the overall support for CataDDA, both financially and through development contributions.[/quote]
BAH, all we need is ASCII! :P[/quote]

But Roy ;-;

A sound system will make the use of firearms a lot more fun for me. In DoomRL I usually roll a shotgunner there simply for enjoying the acustics.

I’m interested in this as well, soundtrack is one thing but what I really like is ambient sounds, for things like door opening, pistol/shotgun/bow/… shot, zombie growl, …

do you really want to hear that kind of blast coming out of almost nowhere whenever you make any kind of shot, I reckon that it will only take away from any kind of immersion since the gun shots would be really close together, but not as you play on the screen.
It would probably scare the poop out of people everyone time they do it without remembering, and if you did manage to turn it down just enough to not do that, it would probably be way to low to sound like that’s what the real thing would sound like compared to birds and breezes and such.

And the same kind of goes to any other kind of sound, it wouldn’t work well because of the game stopping and starting at every turn you make, and lots of noises would just startle you and ruin the immersion regardless of the stop-starting.

oh yeah, and also, BAH, all we need is ASCII!

Yes, I’d want that. It works well in DoomRL. Of course it should be fully optional to keep purists content.

If this was optional I totally agree this would make cataclysm’s immersion level go way up, and it would help so much with the with things like zombears that seem to so easily sneak up on you, it’d be nice to hear some kinda of a low toned snarling and growling.

Another roguelike similar to cataclysm but less scifi “Rogue Survivor” i think did a good job at adding ingame sound. Back when cataclysm dda wasn’t doing much in the way of tiles and seemed to almost oppose it, I resorted to this game and it was really fun but it is not being developed and seems void of content.