Something simple, all the great rpgs do it, rpers love it

Well another short post from me, as its just another self explanatory suggestion, the addition of a character bio section in the character creation menu, can be place with the name selection. might also be called history in some games, where you write your characters bio solely for role-playing.
one example could be never winter nights if you’ve played it or wasteland.

I think it would promote a stronger bond with your character and make you less likely to do something stupid to get them killed (unless you wrote in their bio that their not that bright ;P)
it could also give other people a general idea of who these characters were up to the cataclysm, also it makes for some more candy for the memorial logs.

So if I understand this correctly, it’s an indefinitely long text box, and whatever you wrote gets posted to the memorial on death? Seems like a job for Notepad IMO, but wev.

KA101 kept copious RP notes on a game or two that way, not to mention writing the Survival Crisis Z FAQ

Not a major priority but I imagine if someone wrote it we’d take a look.

I’m not a roleplayer, and i after 3+ months of Space Station 13 i still have no idea of what people like about it, but you won’t get any objection from me as long as it’s not mandatory input and can be missed without altering gameplay.

[quote=“stone94, post:1, topic:5797”]Well another short post from me, as its just another self explanatory suggestion, the addition of a character bio section in the character creation menu, can be place with the name selection. might also be called history in some games, where you write your characters bio solely for role-playing.
one example could be never winter nights if you’ve played it or wasteland.

I think it would promote a stronger bond with your character and make you less likely to do something stupid to get them killed (unless you wrote in their bio that their not that bright ;P)
it could also give other people a general idea of who these characters were up to the cataclysm, also it makes for some more candy for the memorial logs.[/quote]

The main problem with your argument is that you could actively do these things yourself, or simply use your imagination about the character, which I’m sure you do.
There isn’t necessarily any reason to have the devs work on implementing it as an aspect of the game if it has no effect on gameplay and it’s possible to do those things without changing the dynamic of character creation.

A generic text storage might have some value. Some folk could use it for a biography, others to keep track of read books, while still others might keep a running tally of how many mines they had driven over…
Storing it for posterity with the character record would not be entirely out of place. On the other hand, it is another system that needs to be shoved into the interface, more data to be stored in save files, and something that someone would actually need to do when there is already an abundance of text editors…

[quote=“RAM, post:5, topic:5797”]A generic text storage might have some value. Some folk could use it for a biography, others to keep track of read books, while still others might keep a running tally of how many mines they had driven over…
Storing it for posterity with the character record would not be entirely out of place. On the other hand, it is another system that needs to be shoved into the interface, more data to be stored in save files, and something that someone would actually need to do when there is already an abundance of text editors…[/quote]

As I said,

There’s something to be said about not having to edit the memorial file, so I’m sympathetic. Just not at all interested in personally implementing it. Someone codes this, I’ll take a look and if it works w/o breaking things, would merge it.

Something you might not be aware of, we don’t use any kind of windowing toolkit (intentionally, they make building the project harder), which means writing a text widget from scratch, which is not remotely as trivial as it sounds. So while I have no problem with having the feature, I’m not interested enough to spend a lot of time on it.