Someone badly needs to overhall the viewport dimensions options

I’ve worked out that (at least when using a tileset), when you go past a certain value on the viewport dimension settings, the viewport (as in what you can actually see, in tiles) doesn’t increase any further.

Instead, the option just makes the WINDOW bigger. So you get thick black bars without increased view distance.

Making driving a vehicle harder than it needs to be.

Surely someone can do something about this? The option should increase the number of visible tiles, not the window size only.

For that matter, would it be possible to implement some kind of minimap that shows upcoming obstacles in front of your vehicle?

+1

Would love to see the left side border become non-existent and the right hand side be more efficiently used for those of us that play with large windows.

I agree. +1
I don’t use tiles (at least not until a vehicle-complete one comes along that I really enjoy), but it’d still be much nicer to have a more user friendly way of configuring it for whatever size/display setup you want.

The game limits the viewport to 60 in each direction because that’s as far as you can see. Without the cap you get borders of unseen tiles like this: http://puu.sh/6znae.png

I guess somebody decided they would rather have the black borders on each side of the window than the unseen tile borders.

That can’t be right. I can offset my screen while driving so surely I can see further than the screen is wide?

If you’re using tilesets, or your viewport is less than 60 tiles across in the direction you’re offsetting, you’ll see more.

If you’re using tilesets, or your viewport is less than 60 tiles across in the direction you’re offsetting, you’ll see more.[/quote]

Yeah, if you’re using tiles then the viewport settings aren’t actually measured correctly (it’s based off of font size, not tile size). If you count them out you’ll see your vision radius is 60 tiles.

So yeah, that does need to be fixed.