Solar Powered Signs/Lights

Not sure how common they are in New England, but I see them pretty commonly in Texas. Solar powered signs or street lights. Maybe a source of solar panel (have a chance for destruction without a very high electronics skill?) Also you have to climb up to do it. (Some kind of skill check but I’m not sure which. Maybe just Dex?) Hard to do/skill penalty to do it as you have to hold on while trying to remove it. Just a random thought I thought of while driving around Texas.

Forgot to make some points on how they would affect gameplay. Solar powered street lamps could have a definite affect on gameplay. Trying to sneak into a town at night could become a very hairy proposal. A town with lots of solar powered street lamps would have areas lit up by solar powered LED street lamps. These islands of light would have to be avoided.

At first I was like “Ok… what?” and a little confused as to what you were getting at. Then I looked outside and BAM solar powered lights. Had never thought about it before.

I like the idea of having light sources already going when you get to town. If the front of the gun shop is lit up do you chance it? If the light shows you a hulk down the road do you turn? Or snipe his ass? (once the line of sight/lighting bug is fixed)

[quote=“Miloch, post:1, topic:943”][u]Not sure how common they are in New England, but I see them pretty commonly in Texas. Solar powered signs or street lights. Maybe a source of solar panel (have a chance for destruction without a very high electronics skill?) Also you have to climb up to do it. (Some kind of skill check but I’m not sure which. Maybe just Dex?) Hard to do/skill penalty to do it as you have to hold on while trying to remove it. Just a random thought I thought of while driving around Texas.

Forgot to make some points on how they would affect gameplay. Solar powered street lamps could have a definite affect on gameplay. Trying to sneak into a town at night could become a very hairy proposal. A town with lots of solar powered street lamps would have areas lit up by solar powered led light. These islands of light would have to be avoided.[/u][/quote]

These lights and signs are becoming popular now… We must try to use them in our daily life to save energy

I like the idea, definitely.

Holy shit, lighting in citys. Finally.

It’s the year 2030 , the world has advanced beyond plasma powered vehicles , robots and extradimensional research.
But to achieve all of that they had to abandon the idea of solar panels on houses and wind power turbines.

Crap, can you still not target enemies lit from external light sources? I thought I fixed that…

on-topic, I’ll keep a lookout, I don’t recall seeing any solar-powered streetlights, just warning signs and the like, it seems like it would require a really large panel to run a streetlight all night, so I’m confused about the details.

Umm, it’s been introduced… I’m sure I’ve read of a suburb of some city introducing the latter…
The other, interesting thing I’ve seen is designed for harsh enviroment conditions, where even the UPS is hard to maintain, or just drains out; The Solar Refrigerator.
Really, it’s mainly used for some sample storage, has a nice little pole and a standard-small solar cell rising high above. To me, it ain’t different from the classic, portable picnic fridge, this is just fancy and needs no power socket.

[quote=“vultures, post:8, topic:943”]Umm, it’s been introduced… I’m sure I’ve read of a suburb of some city introducing the latter…
The other, interesting thing I’ve seen is designed for harsh enviroment conditions, where even the UPS is hard to maintain, or just drains out; The Solar Refrigerator.
Really, it’s mainly used for some sample storage, has a nice little pole and a standard-small solar cell rising high above. To me, it ain’t different from the classic, portable picnic fridge, this is just fancy and needs no power socket.[/quote]

That’s a brilliant idea!

When I first wrote about it, I did mention “samples” - biological, temperature-sensitive etc etc.
This is actually a big deal. Regarding volumes and their spread within the container, you’ll probably sense the true purpose - keeping the vials and sample holders at a nice, chilly place before you introduce them to an enviroment designed for keeping specific materials. And that is, the way I see it, freezer of a kind.
The other convenient thing would be to introduce “setting up camp” as a viable task in the course of everyone’s Cataclysm enjoyment. There was this thing, and still is, that came up a couple of years ago and it’s called the “Strawberry Tree”. Following up on the campaign that introduced free wireless internet in some parks, facilities, even areas they’ve developed a branched structure (Google it up!) that yields energy off solar cells! It was developed by some students from my country that won a prize with the invention, as a practical solution for charging cell phones and other mobile devices when you’ve been away from your home and the devices that usually serve the purpose. Those guys still enjoy popularity due to their mindwork, and have even started a company that deploys clean energy solutions.
For the player’s conveniency, other than setting up shelter somewhere in the wild to repair, craft and fill up the supply stack, one could create a futuristic device that once (A)ctivated charges up everything in its vicinity - in a manner that Strawberry Tree does, or the Solar powered car ingame does to its batteries. The player then could hunt, explore, salvage and craft while all his battery-powered devices are being recharged at once; a spot for a portable fridge is there, two squares from the device. :slight_smile:
I see that some bits and bytes have been introduced to help manage the events that happen away from the current map square the player’s at, and this would be thoroughly supportive of the efforts to install some way of energy supply system back into the world of Cataclysm.