Smoker for Beekeeping

Hello people,

I am currently trying to implement a new profession, the beekeeper, including new items.

One of the items beekeepers often use is called a “smoker” which emits smoke for doing beekeeping stuff. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bee_smoker

In terms of gameplay I believe this item could also be interesting to create semi-reliable sourced of blocking vision.

So, my question is:

1. Is there already something like a “smoke generator” ingame? (I believe there is.)
  2. If not, what else could I use in order to achhieve a smoke-producing tool? (read: what code should I copy)
  3. Is there also non-dangerous smoke perhaps something like “steam”?
  1. smoke grenades, which have smoke production defined in either iuse.cpp or iuse_actor.cpp, look for manipulations of the field type.
  2. na
  3. I don’t think so, but what smoke in reality is harmless? if it’s thick enough to completely obscure vision, it seems like it’d be thick enough to be hazardous.

It seems a bit much to make a beekeeping smoker produce enough smoke to reliably obscure vision (remember, in game obscuring vision means effectively making the target invisible.)

1. smoke grenades, which have smoke production defined in either iuse.cpp or iuse_actor.cpp, look for manipulations of the field type.

Ah, I knew I forgot something obvious.

3. I don't think so, but what smoke in reality is harmless? if it's thick enough to completely obscure vision, it seems like it'd be thick enough to be hazardous.

Perhaps smoke is a really inappropriate word for what I am looking here. I am not a native english speaker, maybe “fog” describes what I have in mind.
In reality there can be “steam” that’s not really dangerous, I suppose. Usually it appears in very small quantities though, so it’s not really worth adding some “steam” when crafting tea or something.

Another possible place for “fog” could be swamps, just to obscure vision and make it more difficult to see distant objects.

Also, forget the beekeeping idea, I realized, a bee smoker could never produce enough smoke to feasibly hide a character in it.

just in case it matters to someone, we do have harmless smoke, various cigarette type things. Also we’re planning on making regular vehicle fumes harmless and not block vision.

Maybe a beesmoker could have a special effect of temporarily subduing bees and other insect type creatures, including the giant ones? Perhaps? Would be an interesting way, though not too overpowered due to the limit of the special magic smoke, and how hard it is to keep everyone covered constantly in all directions.

all smoke types already have this effect.

With that smoke, however, it would be harder to smell you… imagine night raids.