Small human groups

Found the bug, the quick fix is to create the ‘memorial’ directory inside your cataclysm dir.

Will implement a proper fix later. (Should be easy enough, of course you cannot build two directories with one command).

I also am getting the death bug mentioned above. Same error:

DEBUG: Could not make ‘./memorial/Yatesville/’ directory
Function void game::write_memorial_file(std::string)
File src/game.cpp
Line 3741

Windows 10 x64, latest experimental (but has happened for a few days now).

Happens on worlds with and without spaces, and on characters with very simple names (this one was Bob). Must be some windows 10 related goof as you said, if you need me to try anything else to help you debug it just say =)

EDIT: Your message saying you’d found the bug only just showed up - teaches me a lesson for leaving the web page open for hours without refreshing. Can confirm making the directory fixes it =)!

Yeah, I actually had a friend install CDDA on a win10 machine and I was using a bare bones install myself to go through the steps that I had her make, while the error popped up locally. Which was an eyeopener.

Every time I die in game, I’ve checked, the world is suppose to delete. I get a similar error, but more glaringly obvious bug(bad programming?)…why is the game trying to save in the first place when it should be deleted a moment later? I saves all the tiles or whatever that large number deally is doing…then gives a memorial to write something into and it gives the bug. Then deletes the world, as per my delete world after dying setting.

Food for thought >_>

It does that because creating a memorial is not the same as deleting the world. A memorial is saved in a different directory, and not deleted when you delete the world.

And the error was not bad programming, but bad testing.

Unless you mean something else, aka, a different bug message. In that case I don’t know what you are talking about. Please, could you post the error message here? And the steps you took to get to the error message? (And your game version, OS, language settings, and other small bugs you encounter).

Due to the immense amount of game variant setups, computer setups, and ways of interacting with the system, we cannot ‘walk’ all the code paths. So there will always be bugs. The ‘good’ programming choice would be to just throw out all less used options. Like crawl stone soup does. But this is not the CDDA way. And yes, that create a bit more buggy game, but quite an interesting game experience (not the bug, but the game itself).

https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/17825 Made the fix. And it is now in the 5309 and later experimentals.