Small Ass Inventory Menus?

Had a craptastic day when I posted that. Was still how I and others felt…but still. Sorry =/

I do appreciate the effort and time that goes into coding things, but seriously any game in which I can be wandering around with a duffel bag full of a hundred different things needs to have a full screen inventory.

I’m genuinely baffled as to why anybody would think differently, much less implement a change to that effect.

Looks like the dev who implemented them doesn’t browse forums (enough).

If you have suggestions on how to improve it that are more than just personal preference, try:

If the menu doesn’t expand vertically when it could, that sounds like a bug.

I’m alright with it, looks and feels cleaner then the old one actually. I dunno about the rest of you, but on the experimental I just downloaded it does expand as more items are picked up.

Well i had no technical problem with it, but there is no freaking reason for this thing to be in there. I had to relearn how to navigate the inventory.

I don’t generally complain about stuff, but in this case I have literally seven things on two pages in a window that’s 4 items tall and takes up about 20% of the screen.

Doesn’t really happen in the generic inventory screen, mostly things like disassembling or activating, I’m guessing there’s an issue with when it parses lists that get culled of invalid options, or something.

It could be considered an improvement if it was optional and/or resized properly, but as-is it’s just super frustrating to flip through several pages when my entire inventory list wouldn’t even cover half the screen.

I don’t endorse the opinion; I thought it was eerie:

Just adding my two cents.

I care for this change either and see it as random unnecessary development. I’ve yet to see a single reason or positive to this listed - some don’t mind putting up with it is about all.

1. The old screen was fine - there was no need for a change.
  2. Even if the “small” screen does resize that just means almost every time you look at your inventory the screen will be a different size so you lose the familiarity and consistency.
  3. Why would any interface element be changed to ADD extra scrolling? Apparently somebody is way too in love with their phone and likes to view tiny assed displays or something.

Even though this is a minor thing compared to other things that break the game entirely for me right now, it’s still plenty annoying because WHY?!

I’d agree this is another thing that would’ve been better done as a mod.

I don’t think community developed means random devs do wtf-ever they want to the code? Hope not.

I’d also echo the sentiment that there hasn’t been a stable for ages and most serious players play experimental - which involves SOME risk but in the past, when things were broke they usually didn’t stay broke for long - you could grab a new build a few hours or a day later and shit would be back to ok. No longer. Now broken shit is there for days/weeks. Holidays shouldn’t be an excuse because any responsible developer doesn’t push new/untested/barely tested stuff before they plan to be gone for days. Seems like “back then” we didn’t get as many off the wall changes like this either.

I don’t object to the new menu.

Just a psa to people giving feedback about the menu changes. As far as I can tell the only intelligible criticism is, “the menu should show as many items as possible”. If that’s the only problem, great, that seems to be a bug and we’re looking into fixing it. If that’s NOT the only problem, we need you to be more descriptive about what’s wrong with the new menu, because, “I like there old one better” doesn’t really tell us anything.

I think the biggest issue is that it reduces usability (which is apparently a bug) while allowing you to see the game still (neat, but not really useful) I am sure if it goes back to showing as many of your items as it can people will be less mad

I like there old one better doesn't really tell us anything.

I think it actually tells a lot.

Having a full-screen inventory had several benefits, an important one would be predictability.
Since it was full-screen and aligned to the same place it was very consistent.

Having the inventory centered isn’t necessarily positive, but that’s more like a preference.
It resizing itself on a whim is inherently inconsistent on top of not being perfectly implemented last I checked, causing things like multiple pages on a tiny inventory display.

Having a windowed or fullscreen inventory is one of those things that should definitely be an option and not an unchangeable default.

There’s also the fact that, well…what did we GAIN from the menu change?

You’re saying we need to justify changing it back via listing benefits caused by the old system, but it’s clear no such question was presented when the feature was added.

Hold on , lets just see what the positives of this new menu are :
-you can use the inventory while seeing the area around you
-less items on the screen

Now , why they srent very good positives
-mate, CDDA is a turn based roguelike, its turn based , checking inventory does not cost time or a turn, so its not like a zombie can sneak up on me while i’m checking my inventory, therefor i dont NEED to see the fucking area around me
-how is seeing less items a positive ? when i’m using my PC I DONT WANT TO KEEP SCROLLING , that’s the job of my fucking phone , not Pc

with this new thing its pretty much just slowing down anything that is done with that menu tbh, completely unncessary change and a whote lot of wasted effort
if this is the only thing you know how to code , either dont do it or fucking ask the community first

it just seems like this guy was testing some new code or someshit tbh

If real-time turns are on, then at least you’ve presented literally the only positive I can conceive of. Which is still by no means enough to justify it becoming the default inventory setting, let alone the only one.

I would like to make my position on this clear. This isn't game breaking for me, the menus aren't unusable, I still play with these menus. What bothers me is that the menus require more scrolling (a message that DOES seem to have trickled up the chain thankfully), the menu size is unpredictable, I feel like the response to this issue has been unfriendly at best.
 To explain the second issue, what I mean is that it seems to scale only occasionally and in some menus not at all. This can make it a bit difficult to locate items quickly and sometimes lead to accidents, like eating the wrong thing, that could ruin a decent run. I would rather have the new menus through out rather then sometimes this menu, sometimes that menu.
 To explain the third issue, what I mean is that it seems to me that, while some of the complaints have been a bit overwrought, the responses have universally been dismissive. Many in the community seem to have taken a love it as it is or leave it attitude. Kevin Granade's response in particular seem very dismissive and prompted me to write this. I do understand the "it's in and we need a darn good reason to change it now" point, however, I don't understand the dismissive way he responded to the complaint against extra scrolling. This is a player interface issue, and in my opinion to much scrolling is a strong complaint in that framework. In addition I am not the only person who has complained about inconsistency, and to seemingly completely ignore or dismiss that is disappointing to me. I entered into this discussion in the spirit of constructive criticism and I feel like I've been received, and dismissed, like a wining child.

I asked for further detail on issues with the new menu or features it’s missing that the old menu had, how is that, “dismissive”?
Apologies if it’s worded poorly, but my intent was, “here’s what I got out of the feedback, if there’s something I missed I’ll need more detail”.

EDIT: moved derail about project governance here