Slower Zombies

I understand that the Slow Zombies mod is going to come back, but I think zombies should just be slower by default. Maybe I just suck, but I always have trouble if just one zombie is chasing me at a time. I can handle hordes just fine, for some reason.

You can outrun normal Zs you realize?

Nah you’re just kinda bad. You’ll get better, don’t worry!

Are you loading down on gear and armor? That’s not well advised early in the game before your character accumulates the skills to quietly oneshot wandering zeds.

You should be able to outrun un-evolved zeds without much trouble if you travel light, taking a few perks or drinking caffeine/smoking also helps.

also, dropping bits of clothing or rags and lighting them on fire is a fairly reliable if cheesy emergency tactic when I got started with the game, fire damages and slows, smoke confuses scent and blinds.

I always lit bushes and small trees myself

Zombie speed is okay for now as normal z won t catch up to you under normal conditions. And you should also be able to loose faster foes if you run in time and get some obstacles between you and the enemy that blocks line of sight (a forest can work wonders).

Don get hurt pain slows you down. Caution and patience should be with you at the start. You might be able to deal with single z early game but if your hit the pain alone might hinder your escape if others arive.

Im pretty sure my shoes got ripped up by a zombie or something. I had like, a backpack and a makeshift sling on my torso at the time. But I had both Fleet-footed and Quick, so I was pretty butthurt. I probably just suck

But we can agree that Skeletal Dogs are too fuckin fast, right?

Slowdown can happen if your carried volume is overmax (backpack got torn up or something). Also, pain, thirst, hunger etc all decrease your speed.

taking a few perks or drinking caffeine/smoking also helps
It'd be ironic if smoking made you run faster. I don't recall it doing so, maybe indirectly as it ups your morale. It's not a stimulant.

[quote=“chefvordivask, post:7, topic:7303”]Im pretty sure my shoes got ripped up by a zombie or something. I had like, a backpack and a makeshift sling on my torso at the time. But I had both Fleet-footed and Quick, so I was pretty butthurt. I probably just suck

But we can agree that Skeletal Dogs are too fuckin fast, right?[/quote]

Skeletal dogs are pretty weak if you do not hit em in meele throw them to death with stones or something. And a makeshift sling adds +4 to torso encumbrance + the backpack and your at 5+ enc on your torso which renders a new char uselss in meele . id suggest not fighting meele with that sling at all. Avoid using it unless theres no other option. without that you should be able to dispatch of them dogs quickly with a club or somethin else that add to hit +2 ~.

Torso encumbrance strikes again!

You just gotta learn to micromanage your turns per second (aka movement points).

I’ve never been good with stuff like that. I just kinda wear anything that gives me inventory space

[quote=“Murphy, post:8, topic:7303”]Slowdown can happen if your carried volume is overmax (backpack got torn up or something). Also, pain, thirst, hunger etc all decrease your speed.

taking a few perks or drinking caffeine/smoking also helps
It'd be ironic if smoking made you run faster. I don't recall it doing so, maybe indirectly as it ups your morale. It's not a stimulant.[/quote]

Smoking is a stimulant, and it does speed you up in-game (as do cigars).

Nicotine is both a stimulant and a depressant of the central nervous system and chemically is not much different than many of the other -ine chemicals (morphine, caffeine). They’re all hydrocarbon rings.

If you wear a trenchcoat and rucksack and try to melee, you’re gonna have a bad time.

If you want to run though, just keep your legs, feet, and mouth as clear as possible.

This is why you die. Keep check of your encumbrance levels.

My 13+ lvl unarmed martial artist character has no problem with 2 or 3 notches on the encumberance scale, altough he was careful about that around 8-9 lvl of skill (or so). Against such a skirmisher as a Mi-Go or Z-9 there is little doubt to employing some sort of tactic, and a Grabber Z is another perfect occasion to stop and think about movement and enemy ranks.
Be it as it must, you oughta get hurt fighting different opposition. Being able to heal yourself and defy pain is a number one concern for any melee character. Obtaining and maintaining a firearm is the key to enjoying a long, succesful CataDDA run with any character; a couple of shotgun shells is all the difference between a Hulk and you.

Hulk? Not really. I once emptied a RivTech autoshotgun into a hulk at point blank range. Then he killed my character (who was a melee god btw).

This is why you die. Keep check of your encumbrance levels.[/quote]

i with over 6 enc on every body part i can kill ewerything (throwing for faster and smaller things, mele for regular zeds)

i with over 6 enc on every body part i can kill ewerything (throwing for faster and smaller things, mele for regular zeds)[/quote]

Wha- WHAT?!

Unless you have a 10 in all of your combat skills, that should not be happening.

i with over 6 enc on every body part i can kill ewerything (throwing for faster and smaller things, mele for regular zeds)[/quote]

Wha- WHAT?!

Unless you have a 10 in all of your combat skills, that should not be happening.[/quote]

well some robots kill me without problem (chicken walker, tank bot) and some netherworld creatures can hurt me too but its rare most zombies do not scratch me z animals and other mutants are still pain where i need to bring out my shotgun

@Murphy - you know that a Hulk packs a definite number of HPs, do you?
I know you’re just kidding - it’s that one pack of folks or another here at the forums aren’t exactly brimming with confidence in the presence of a superior enemy; a Mi-Go is a feature much appreciated - if you’re into the melee thing - altough learning to shoot still has different perks than unloading on a single oppo.