Improvised disinfectant?

Is there any plan to add improvised disinfectants to the game? In a pinch, pouring plain old vodka on a wound can disinfect it (but is extremely painful), the same goes for salt water. As of now, medical grade disinfectant in the game requires oxidizer powder and a working chemistry set to make, along with 5 cooking and having learned the recipe from a book. Which is…kinda late game to be honest. I suggest adding a “makeshift disinfectant” that requires few ingredients and no tools/skill to make, but burns like hell. Could probably be made out of vodka, or salt water, or bleach, or hydrogen peroxide (which for some reason cannot disinfect wounds, currently?)

Good ol’ wait-until-you-are-infected-and-eat-antibiotics.

Antibiotics tend to be a bit rare, though - and for people playing with 0.5 or 0.2 item spawn scaling, its even more rare. The ability to craft disinfectant early-game should still be an option,.

They added that a few experimentals back.

If you want “hobo disinfectant” that isn’t alcohol (which should really be working as one, but needs separate 'a’ctivation and 'E’ating), there’s thyme oil: thyme + cooking oil.

Requires 4 survival, and thyme is actually very very difficult to come across. (about 1/103 chance of finding thyme when foraging)

As I (and several others) have noted recently, hydrogen peroxide is literally one of the worst things you can pour on a wound large than a small scratch. It worsens the chance of infection by at least a couple factors of magnitude, reduces heal time correspondingly, can cause enough pain to literally cause you to go into shock and die… there’s a reason why they don’t use it in medicine anymore. The fact that people still think its a good thing to use is just a remnant of the days when we went “oooh, it fizzes when mixed with blood and (somewhat) sanitizes flat surfaces, it must be a good disinfectant!”, combined with the force of a “home remedy” that we teach to our kids.

Don’t pour it on wounds larger than a scratch. Seriously, it’s bad for you. And it doesn’t even disinfect surfaces that well either, missing several key types of bacteria that can be very dangerous. (On the other hand it makes a great cleaner for bloodstains!)

That sounds ridiculous and needs to be changed.

The point of peroxide was the fizziness - it washed contaminants (like, say, dirt) out of wounds more reliably than water does. It doesn’t do proper disinfection, but if it did, it would just be a side benefit.

We don’t have rubbing alcohol yet, do we? Unless that’s what generic disinfectant is supposed to be.

[quote=“i2amroy, post:7, topic:10215”]As I (and several others) have noted recently, hydrogen peroxide is literally one of the worst things you can pour on a wound large than a small scratch. It worsens the chance of infection by at least a couple factors of magnitude, reduces heal time correspondingly, can cause enough pain to literally cause you to go into shock and die… there’s a reason why they don’t use it in medicine anymore. The fact that people still think its a good thing to use is just a remnant of the days when we went “oooh, it fizzes when mixed with blood and (somewhat) sanitizes flat surfaces, it must be a good disinfectant!”, combined with the force of a “home remedy” that we teach to our kids.

Don’t pour it on wounds larger than a scratch. Seriously, it’s bad for you. And it doesn’t even disinfect surfaces that well either, missing several key types of bacteria that can be very dangerous. (On the other hand it makes a great cleaner for bloodstains!)[/quote]

While this may be true, I still say it should be possible to disinfect wounds with plain old vodka/moonshine or other such hard spirits.

Slightly offtopic, but Yarrow can be used as a coagulant to stem bloodflow.

I often mix Yarrow with Woundwort as a grand fix-me-up when doing my work outdoors. The Woundwort disinfects, and the Yarrow helps stem any bleeding.

I know that Yarrow grows in New England, I dunno about Woundwort though, maybe a local forager or botanist can fill you in on that one.

I mean, there IS a way to fix a deep wound without the use of disinfectant but with increased pain… Activate a knife near a source of flame (or with a lighter in your inventory) and you can cauterize it. I do think other means of disinfectant might be useful, though… Having vodka or other strong alcohols be able to clean up wounds would make sense, and it could be a middle ground of success rate and pain between using proper disinfectant and placing the flat of a really hot knife on your skin.

Antibiotics tend to be a bit rare, though - and for people playing with 0.5 or 0.2 item spawn scaling, its even more rare. The ability to craft disinfectant early-game should still be an option,.[/quote]
0.2 Item spawn here. 100 antibiotics, 0 disinfectants.

In a pinch, pouring plain old vodka on a wound can disinfect it (but is extremely painful), the same goes for salt water.

Some good ideas here.

Pretty sure you can also use Urine to disinfect a wound.
#nobodyfunctions

But seriously it’s a good idea. Especially since cauterizing in cata has a chance of failure.

[quote=“i2amroy, post:7, topic:10215”]As I (and several others) have noted recently, hydrogen peroxide is literally one of the worst things you can pour on a wound large than a small scratch. It worsens the chance of infection by at least a couple factors of magnitude, reduces heal time correspondingly, can cause enough pain to literally cause you to go into shock and die… there’s a reason why they don’t use it in medicine anymore. The fact that people still think its a good thing to use is just a remnant of the days when we went “oooh, it fizzes when mixed with blood and (somewhat) sanitizes flat surfaces, it must be a good disinfectant!”, combined with the force of a “home remedy” that we teach to our kids.

Don’t pour it on wounds larger than a scratch. Seriously, it’s bad for you. And it doesn’t even disinfect surfaces that well either, missing several key types of bacteria that can be very dangerous. (On the other hand it makes a great cleaner for bloodstains!)[/quote]

Well crap, I have been using it to clean a rather large scratch on my hand… Am I going to die?

We’re all going to die.

Unless you’re a highlander or some such thing, I would assume so. o3o

I supose you would have noticed whether you had a bloodinfection shortly after treating your wound.

learn something new every day. anyhow +1 to this whole idea. Though cauterizing is slightly OP in my opinion, yea pain can get a bit annoying but usually not TOO bad, and fades farely quickly. And somehow you can use a single match to heat up a knife enough to cauterize it… or use one unit of butane lighter. I am all for nerfing cauterizing a little, (no more matchbook heated knife being a thing) and adding some improvised disinfectant that can be crafted fairly easily.