Shoudn't those oxygen tank can stop drowning?

So, in the 0.b, I saw there have some emergency oxygen pack and oxygen tank, it was make for clearing air poisoning and something like that, but shoudn’t those oxygen can refill you air while diving water? last time I try use those stuff while diving, and almost drowned, so anyone plan to do something about it?

I do not know if that kind of canister is okay to use underwater! They’re designed differently from scuba air tanks. Maybe someone can use one to make a scuba gear item? It’ll become a good idea when more things to do underwater are added to the game. Right now other things have taken priority. Maybe that will change soon!

I imagine the oxygen tank looks like this. Perhaps someone else could better explain if these would still work underwater? I’m kind of curious.

It’d work underwater.

But it’d be like carrying a gallon-drum of water on your back in a desert. Sure you have water. Sure you have oxygen.

But it’s in a clumsy package that will only get you killed.

It wouldn’t work. Scuba diving regulator is a fairly sophisticated piece of gear that controls pressure coming from the tank dynamically, depending on the ambient pressure. This allows the diver in non-pressurized suit to change depth and still be able to inhale (otherwise the pressure on the chest cavity would be too great and you’d suffocate). Medical oxygen regulator has none of that, just a simple valve delivering oxygen at a constant pressure (depending on how far you dialed it).

Perhaps it would work in a pinch if the dial on medical tank was open to overpressurize (i.e. dispense oxygen at greater than ambient pressure), but that would be a suboptimal solution. Also, breathing pure oxygen for prolonged period of time would not do you good (divers use a mixture of gasses in their tanks depending on how deep they go).

as dovla indicated I believe it would serve only to give you the bends, you need to ratio the oxygen and nitrogen as you descend, in practice at just below the surface not sure i’d imagine it would be cumbersome to use, and one slip with that mask and you’re drowning.

I’ve had to explain this one more times than I can count.

[quote=“dovla, post:4, topic:8546”]It wouldn’t work. Scuba diving regulator is a fairly sophisticated piece of gear that controls pressure coming from the tank dynamically, depending on the ambient pressure. This allows the diver in non-pressurized suit to change depth and still be able to inhale (otherwise the pressure on the chest cavity would be too great and you’d suffocate). Medical oxygen regulator has none of that, just a simple valve delivering oxygen at a constant pressure (depending on how far you dialed it).

Perhaps it would work in a pinch if the dial on medical tank was open to overpressurize (i.e. dispense oxygen at greater than ambient pressure), but that would be a suboptimal solution. Also, breathing pure oxygen for prolonged period of time would not do you good (divers use a mixture of gasses in their tanks depending on how deep they go).[/quote]

This person has it right here.

There’s also this problem where this:

Is not the same as this:

Can y’all guess which one is engineered to keep air in while keeping water out?

People seem to be complaining about how it wouldn’t prevent the bends.
Shouldn’t we having the bends be in the game itself before that becomes a straightforward argument?
It should just serve as a very inneficient way of preventing drowning, until Z levels are actually simulated to make getting the bends significant enough to simulate, and a system regarding such. And at that point, not much would need to change, as you’d need to worry about more than “need oxygen”

It also wouldn’t prevent “water gets inside the mask, defeating the purpose of using the thing in the first place”. So yeah, not a worthwhile idea.

[quote=“KA101, post:8, topic:8546”]It also wouldn’t prevent “water gets inside the mask, defeating the purpose of using the thing in the first place”. So yeah, not a worthwhile idea.[/quote]Why use the mask? I’d think someone would manually inhale through the tube itself…, is that infeasible though?

Nose, and probably pressure issues. But Rivet & dovla covered those already.

[quote=“iceball3, post:7, topic:8546”]People seem to be complaining about how it wouldn’t prevent the bends.
Shouldn’t we having the bends be in the game itself before that becomes a straightforward argument?
It should just serve as a very inneficient way of preventing drowning, until Z levels are actually simulated to make getting the bends significant enough to simulate, and a system regarding such. And at that point, not much would need to change, as you’d need to worry about more than “need oxygen”[/quote]

Hey, this guy has a point. If diving gets more complex in the future, the bends totally needs to be a thing that gets added.

Medical oxygen cylinders contain gas at a very high pressure - 230 bar at a temperature of 15°C. This pressure is some 115 times greater than the typical pressure in the tyres on a car which are only 2 bar.

Do you really think it’s a good idea to put a hose connected to that in your mouth and open the valve?

They ussually have a pressure control valve. Someone had even brought up earlier that thr pressure may be a bit too low for normal mask usage :E

Put the hose in a bag, then breathe out of the bag.

As ridiculous as it is, I’m now envisioning a person swimming to the bottom of a river and sticking the cut-off tube from an oxygen cylinder in their mouth, spinning the valve wide open, and shooting to the surface when they inflate like a balloon.

I think I watched too much Looney Tunes as a kid.

I did some googling and turns out an average medical regulator can output 10 bars of pressure at full tilt. That’s plenty to cause some pretty bad things to happen to whatever body cavity you attach it to :wink: