!SCIENCE! - A thread for the educated and those who want to be

That makes more sense. The number density or mass density should be like 10% more, not 10x more, but maybe energy density is higher because of structure magic physics.

Stable at room temp I have a much harder time believing.

Mostly unrelated, is that press really rated with ten significant figures? :open_mouth:

in Pascals: yes. Itā€™s an 80000 ton press. Itā€™s used to form 60ā€™ diameter cargo ship propeller shafts.

ā€¦Thatā€™s not what significant figures means.

You canā€™t express pressure in tons, either.

Itā€™d be like saying that the Great Wall of China is fast because it travels at 5500 miles.

The press puts out 80000 ton-force/foot^2. Which is around 1,224,000PSI which is 8,580,142,409 pascals. Above math is wrong because I wasnā€™t using the right formula. Itā€™s still 8gPa. I need more coffee or more sleep before I try and do math without a calculator.

I can barely do math without a calculator. Which sucks because Science is my favorite subject.

Iā€™m nearly there. Iā€™m old enough my memory isnā€™t always reliable. (Coupled with a lot of medication that does funky stuff to the brain.)

Figured out why Superalloy isnā€™t super hard.

Short answer: It isā€¦at roughly 1300 degrees Fahrenheit. Real life Superalloys are supposed to get harder as they get hotter, capping at roughly 1300/700 F/C.

Finally, I have a satisfying answer. Still, since CDDA superalloy is supposed to have memory plastic properties, Iā€™d like to see those simulated in game if possible/reasonable.

FOLDING SWORDS! Or perhaps firearms that can contract into an innocent form and at the flip of a switch expand into their full form.

Have you ever found the briefcase SMG? Itā€™s pretty cool, but not really that great a weapon. Superalloy is already pretty heavily used in guns and high-tech gear, but it would be nice if we could reinforce armor with it or something a bit more awesome than it just being a material in high-tech gear.

I have however I imagine a gun made of memory materials would be much more interesting and potentially practical as I imagine just some random item transforming into an assault rifle.

Iā€™m not sure thatā€™s exactly how memory materials work but I could be wrong. Iā€™d imagine something more like an exceptionally powerful bow/crossbow or perhaps a weird flopsy whip sword thing would be more realistic.

Iā€™ve always wondered, if your character (Or anyone, really) had the regeneration mutation / hyper metabolism, that is, you repair damage to your body extremely quickly, would it be possible to use this to weight train your body to superhuman limits? Iā€™m assuming this is possible b/c the muscles are getting repaired basically right as theyā€™re exhibiting micro tears, so theoretically you can get stronger much much faster than if you were normal.

Other factors like myostatin may skew the results if this was real, but iā€™m talking in general.

Iā€™d imagine the real limit would be things like ligaments, tendons and bones. Just because your muscles get stronger doesnt mean the rest of the support structure is getting stronger.

That said, theres evidence to suggest that stressing or repeatedly breaking bones will slowly make them stronger, so perhaps everything else would get stronger with training as well. There must be some hard limit though.

Super kidneys. Although thinking about that it would just eventually get you killed as while you kidney can take punishment I donā€™t think you can make it work faster.

I suppose a lot of careful training can help, but even then any damage would be repaired pretty much instantly so I doubt limits like bones or tendons would matter. Not sure about the kidney stuff though