Running on Ubuntu Linux

I’m getting back into linux after a year or so away and I found this game in between. Now that I’m trying to play it on here (Ubuntu 14.04 LTS), I tried doing what I usually do. Download from the main page and run it (Linux graphical experimental). Only, nothing within the linux download will run. I click run on cataclysm-launcher, cataclysm-tiles. Nothing. I tried to search for how to run it and all I find are ways to compile the game.

What is the point of the download on the main page if the only way to run it is to download vis the terminal? How do I run the game from the .tar.gz?

The closest I found was this post, and I kept getting new errors. The latest: “./cataclysm-tiles: error while loading shared libraries: libSDL2_mixer-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory”

Why isn’t there a clear how to run the game on linux without having to spend hours downloading from git?

[quote=“kittentamer, post:1, topic:8908”]I’m getting back into linux after a year or so away and I found this game in between. Now that I’m trying to play it on here (Ubuntu 14.04 LTS), I tried doing what I usually do. Download from the main page and run it (Linux graphical experimental). Only, nothing within the linux download will run. I click run on cataclysm-launcher, cataclysm-tiles. Nothing. I tried to search for how to run it and all I find are ways to compile the game.

What is the point of the download on the main page if the only way to run it is to download vis the terminal? How do I run the game from the .tar.gz?

The closest I found was this post, and I kept getting new errors. The latest: “./cataclysm-tiles: error while loading shared libraries: libSDL2_mixer-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory”

Why isn’t there a clear how to run the game on linux without having to spend hours downloading from git?[/quote]

Windows dev here; most of our Linux people apparently build their own, as I understand it, so I’d guess this problem hasn’t been noticed before. Thanks for reporting.

Well, the error message clearly indicates what’s missing: SDL2-mixer-2.0
Searching the forum for SDL2 and mixer gives you for example http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=6751 (which also refers to ubuntu).

Conclusion: You need to install the SDL2 mixer package (e.g. from Ubuntu – Package Search Results -- sdl2-mixer-2.0 or from any other source you prefer). You might get more missing dependencies the forum link above lists some of them.

How do I run the game from the .tar.gz?
You unpack the archive and run the game from the [b]unpacked[/b] folder. Do not start it from within the archive.

I also faced similar errors when i discovered cataclysm: the executables would not run for me with similar errors. In the end i did not bother to solve it, since building my own from source just works.
My knowledge of linux is just intermediate, so i may be wrong, but iirc for me the executable could not find some libraries even if they were installed.

I’d follow BevapDin’s advice in most things about catadda and its code, but if you find that you have the needed packages installed, yet the game still won’t run:

Maybe simlinking the missing libraries to catadda folder will help?
Also consider building it yourself. Check this:
http://www.wiki.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?title=How_to_compile#Ubuntu

Same thing happened here. GIMP was giving me problems in Windows, so I installed a fresh copy of Linux Mint, which is based on Ubuntu.

I ran the following code.

sudo apt-get install libsdl-image1.2-dev sudo apt-get install libsdl-mixer1.2-dev sudo apt-get install libsdl-ttf2.0-dev sudo apt-get install libsdl1.2-dev sudo apt-get install libsdl-mixer-2.0 tar -zxvf cddasdl-current.tar.gz cd cataclysmdda-0.B ./cataclysm-launcher

And I get the same error. It has to be a library we aren’t installing, but I ran all the sdl libraries I could think of.

Anybody got anything else I could try? I’m fighting with this instead of making tiles!

Edit: Compiled it myself and it works!

Thanks for all the replies. I had already looked through posts that told me what dependencies there were, and after getting all those I had still run into that one. I am not confident enough (especially after a year away from linux) to guess which files fit/install individual lib files. I decided to just stick with the copy on my windows install for now, the first reply mollified my angst with it, at least. =p

The game uses SDL 2, the numbering scheme of those libraries is very confusing. SDL 1 and SDL 2 are different packages, not different versions of the same package.

Basically you have libsdl (which is SDL 1) and all the sub-libraries with their own version number, they require SDL 1.
Than you have libsdl2 and all the sub-libraries with their own version number but they require SDL 2.

So you might have installed libsdl-mixer that uses SDL 1, but the games uses SDL 2 and therefor requires the mixer library that also uses SDL 2.

You probably need those packages:

libsdl2
libsdl2-image
libsdl2-mixer
libsdl2-ttf

The packages might be named “libsdl2-2.0-0” (with a “-2.0-0” suffix, I don’t have an Ubuntu system ready to check this).

If you want to compile the game you probably need the packages with the “-dev” suffix.

Finally this could also be a 32 bit vs 64 bit problem (the game executable is 32 bit, but your libraries are for 64 bit or similar).

Version: Experemental cataclysmdda-0.C-4499.tar.gz

Installed packages:
libsdl2-image-2.0-0 (2.0.0+dfsg-3build2)
libsdl2-ttf-2.0-0 (2.0.12+dfsg1-2)
libsdl2-mixer-2.0-0 (2.0.0+dfsg1-3)
liblua5.1-0-dev (5.1.5-5ubuntu0.1)
liblua5.2-dev (5.2.3-1)

Running:
$ ./cataclysm-tiles
./cataclysm-tiles: error while loading shared libraries: libSDL2_mixer-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

There are all files in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/

What I must to do?

i run this game on ubuntu by going in terminal to cataclysm directory and i drag and drop cataclysm executable on terminal and press enter

changing directory in terminal use this same command like cmd in windows

I kinda figured out how it works:
The error message part “libsdl2-mixer-2.0-0” will not exist simply because this is a 32-bit games, which is trying to run on a 64-bit system.
Simply appending : “i386” to the end of the libsdl2-mixer-2.0-0 will install that library. Unfortunately, more libraries pop up as nonexistent, but just append :i386 to the end of those libraries, and that will fix the error.
But, the game (at least for me) ends up not responding and it is better to just compile it yourself rather than go through the trouble of installing all the different libraries.
EDIT: The program actually works, but it takes about a minute to start, so you’ll have to wait a bit.