Returning Player w/ Question(s)

All,

Recently returned from overseas trip and looking to get back to Catty after being gone - I loved this game and excited to see the changes. Some questions for a returnee…

1. I downloaded the latest experimental and I see ALOT more mods. Which are the ones worth loading up at this point?

2. What is the state of NPC play? Is it better or are they still pretty retarded?

3. Z-Levels? I see the mod but also see there has been work done on mainline I think. Do I need to use the Z-level mod to enable? Is it worth it?

4. What about wander hordes? I was very excited by this feature and the idea of a zombie attack against my base. Is this function there yet?

Thanks for taking the time to answer!

1. Boats, Icecoon, Fast/Slow Zombies, any of the blacklist mods. They are good and don’t bug.
  2. I think most of the retardedness has been stamped out, one of the few problems remaining is that they don’t yet use bandages, for example
  3. Don’t enable the mod (it’s outdated and buggy). Enable the z-levels option instead.
  4. The function is there yet but still being fixed. It’s not perfect. Don’t enable hordes if you don’t want constant combat or fleeing, though. They will swarm you if you make the slightest noise.

Some upcoming horde changes should make them much less aggressive.

[quote=“Kristover, post:1, topic:10822”]All,

Recently returned from overseas trip and looking to get back to Catty after being gone - I loved this game and excited to see the changes. Some questions for a returnee…

1. I downloaded the latest experimental and I see ALOT more mods. Which are the ones worth loading up at this point?[/quote]

Arcana Mod, depending on what sort of Cataclysm you want to play in (if you’re interested in some more otherworldly stuff this is for you, but if you’re interested in a more “realistic” zombie apocalypse you might want to give this a pass)

More Medieval/Historical Content

Icecoon’s Weapons

More Survival Tools

Boats

Vehicle Additions Pack

Tanks and Armored Vehicles

Any of the blacklist mods

Yeah, I came back about 2 weeks ago and had that problem.

Pick and choose the item mods as you see fit. craft-able guns pretty much eliminates the problem with gun ammo being rare so I personally don’t like it. generic guns gives you “rifle ammo” instead of all the different types but messes up mounted weapons(if it hasn’t been fixed. More survival tools is defiantly worth it in my opinion but I don’t have any opinion on the others.I personally have never used the dino, five nights at freddy’s or any of the magic mods because I think they don’t fit the atmosphere of the game.Unless your using z-levels tall buildings is kinda pointless.
Use all the vehicle mods they are realistic and let you do a lot more things.

1. NPCs are still act really stupid but they work and add a lot to the game now.(unlike when I was playing 3-4 years ago)

2. Z-levels adds interaction between different floors essentially making the game 3D. No longer can you escape by simply going up or down stairs. Still under development though so it’s kinda up to your preferences. I don’t use it on my main game but I have been playing around with it and it seems really cool.

4.hordes are a b**** to have in the early game as they spawn large numbers of evolved Z’s right from the get go, and always seem to be right outside the evac shelter. After loosing many survivors to them in the first 2 days I decided to start with them off and turn them on once I killed my first Hulk which has worked out pretty well for me.

If a zombie walks into a car, it creates noise. Noise draws other zombies. Looking forward to the horde fixes.

As to mods, heavily recommending those that Dampe has posted. Vehicles addition pack and Icecoon’s are almost mandatory.
Personally I prefer to blacklist the blackpowder weapons myself.

By the way can you craft swords/katanas/longswords/zweis and the various historical armours without the medieval pack?

Katanas ans zweis were in before I stopped playing years ago before there was a mods menu and you had to add them manually, so probably I don’t know about longswords though.

Yes, the recipes can be found in high level fabrication books