Repairing Bionics

Hello! I just started playing this game about two weeks ago and I really like it. I have a question though!
How do I repair my broken bionics? I like playing as a Failed Android because I like the idea of a ramshackle cyborg trying to survive the apocalypse, but I really need to find a way to mend my broken bits after a while! How do I remove/repair my messed up bionics? The electric noise thing always wakes me up when I try to sleep and stuff.

You don’t sadly. You can /try/ to roll a “lost bionics” failed install, but you risk losing the “huge” power supply you start with, not to mention any other bionics you may have installed.

Hello! And welcome to the forums!

Bionics have built in self repair Nanites that are automatically activated once they reach a specific temperature. You can see this first hand by taking a corroded, scratched etc bionic and dropping it on a square with fire (capital D to drop item to adjacent square). Once the fire gutters out you can pick up the fully repaired bionic. If they are already installed, simply move your character to a square with fire in it. Having high strength may overcome the fire’s ability to reach the bionic, so make sure its at least a large fire (red 4) or raging fire (pink 4). Once the bionic is repaired, get off quick because the heat will stop channeling into the bionic and start channeling into YOU!

Hope that helps, and welcome again!

[quote=“Cinghiale, post:3, topic:3972”]Hello! And welcome to the forums!

Bionics have built in self repair Nanites that are automatically activated once they reach a specific temperature. You can see this first hand by taking a corroded, scratched etc bionic and dropping it on a square with fire (capital D to drop item to adjacent square). Once the fire gutters out you can pick up the fully repaired bionic. If they are already installed, simply move your character to a square with fire in it. Having high strength may overcome the fire’s ability to reach the bionic, so make sure its at least a large fire (red 4) or raging fire (pink 4). Once the bionic is repaired, get off quick because the heat will stop channeling into the bionic and start channeling into YOU!

Hope that helps, and welcome again![/quote]

…A friendly reminder that fire destroys all. Please disregard the above post…

Cinghiale, while everyone would appreciate a little joke, don’t you think it’s inappropriate to give new players false advices? You did the same in timtek’s thread about indoor lightning.

Personally, I will be frustrated if I take “advices” from an apparently old player and somehow mess up my game even further. :\

Hmm, I think the Failed Android has some playability issues.
The electronic noise thing wakes you up whenever you try and sleep. Even being a Heavy Sleeper doesn’t stop you waking up, so essentially, Failed Androids can’t sleep!
The other two are just slightly damaging, not -as- much of a problem…if you could sleep to recover.
It would be nice if when your power ran out, the broken cybernetics would stop doing stuff too. After all, even if they are malfunctioning, they need power to malfunction right? So wouldn’t it make sense that if you can drain your power to 0, the failed bionics should stop terrorizing you?

Just my thoughts.
P.S. Other survivors are total jerks. A man I found shot me in the head with a MAC-10!

[quote=“Pumbletron, post:6, topic:3972”]Hmm, I think the Failed Android has some playability issues.
The electronic noise thing wakes you up whenever you try and sleep. Even being a Heavy Sleeper doesn’t stop you waking up, so essentially, Failed Androids can’t sleep!
The other two are just slightly damaging, not -as- much of a problem…if you could sleep to recover.
It would be nice if when your power ran out, the broken cybernetics would stop doing stuff too. After all, even if they are malfunctioning, they need power to malfunction right? So wouldn’t it make sense that if you can drain your power to 0, the failed bionics should stop terrorizing you?

Just my thoughts.
P.S. Other survivors are total jerks. A man I found shot me in the head with a MAC-10![/quote]

This is good.

Which part? Me getting headshotted or the suggestions for failed android?

Both.

Failed android is pretty much a troll profession. The bad bionics are never going to go away, you are better off just getting your bionics going yourself. The 20 power and ethanol burner arent worth the tradeoff imo.

Not all busted bionics will keep you from sleeping. My current character, Richard Head, botched an install of the dodge cbm. It leaks acid pretty frequently but it doesn’t wake him up.

Noisemaker is a possible bad bionic, failed android starts you with acid, power drain, noisemaker and maybe a few others ive forgotten. So failed android is ALWAYS going to have it unless you get lucky on a failed install and manage to remove it.

Maybe a new machine could be added to the hospital, something similar to the stem cell machine that could be used to remove or help install bionics? It would need a great computers skill to be accessed.

Failed android profession is pretty much for those that enjoy playing on the edge and a little bit sadistic.

I don’t think I’d ever see the player repairing their bionics, most of them are simply too far beyond the player technology for them to be able to do that. What I do see a potentiality of happening instead is the player being able to do dangerous harmful surgery upon themselves to remove targeted installed bionics (hopefully removing the selected broken ones in the process :P).

I could definitely get behind something like this. I do think removal should be a possibility but I also think it should be very difficult.

I like that idea too. Maybe like a Mr. Handy robot from Fallout, the one with surgery saws and stuff? -REMOVING BIONICS- okay robot…oh god! -ERROR, APPENDAGE, LEFT ARM, REMOVED-

Protip: several bionics are craftable, at least at the “rebuild existing-but-burnt-out bionic into new useful bionic”. If you can build and install it, repairing and/or removing should be reasonably achievable. :stuck_out_tongue:

nothing should be impossible with enough adderal!

The game is slowly moving away from punishing permanent stuff to more fixable stuff given the right tools. So I don’t see why not!