Rebalancing Crossbows

[quote=“DWC, post:20, topic:1743”]Guys, I don’t think OP is asking for auto crossbows or burst-fire crossbows, or putting it’s rate of fire on parity with the longbow or anything.

He just doesn’t want to tap ‘r’ between shots and would rather the game do it for him immediately after firing. It seems like a simple enough request to me.[/quote]
The problem with that is that for low strength characters, loading a crossbow takes a significant amount of time. A benefit of the crossbow is that you can load a single shot which is ready to fire compared with a bow which must “reload” before firing. If he/she fires her one shot at a zombie with a horde behind it and then automatically goes into reload mode…

You could ask for an option where pressing “f” with an empty crossbow reloads it. Then it would be “f-f-f” instead of “f-r-f”.
I don’t really get why this is an issue since the keys are right next to each other but eh.

[quote=“DWC, post:20, topic:1743”]Guys, I don’t think OP is asking for auto crossbows or burst-fire crossbows, or putting it’s rate of fire on parity with the longbow or anything.

He just doesn’t want to tap ‘r’ between shots and would rather the game do it for him immediately after firing. It seems like a simple enough request to me.[/quote]
OP is really bad at words.

[quote=“Blaze, post:21, topic:1743”][quote=“DWC, post:20, topic:1743”]Guys, I don’t think OP is asking for auto crossbows or burst-fire crossbows, or putting it’s rate of fire on parity with the longbow or anything.

The problem with that is that for low strength characters, loading a crossbow takes a significant amount of time. A benefit of the crossbow is that you can load a single shot which is ready to fire compared with a bow which must “reload” before firing. If he/she fires her one shot at a zombie with a horde behind it and then automatically goes into reload mode…

You could ask for an option where pressing “f” with an empty crossbow reloads it.[/quote]

I don’t think he means that the crossbow is carried around empty and then loaded and fired. He just means that after firing, the crossbow is reloaded so you don’t have to move your finger to tap ‘r’.

So, it would be a selectable fire mode and if the survivor gets bitten in the goddamn mouth by a wolf (they always go straight for the mouth…) while reloading, that would be their fault. By default, you’d just tap ‘r’ yourself at your own leisure. It could possibly work with other weapons too.

Then again, your suggestion of just pressing ‘f’ to reload an empty weapon seems like a good idea too. It might even be possible if you just assign the same key to both fire and reload, might test that out.

Ah, so it would be like switching between Single-Shot and Burst mode in an applicable weapon; but crossbows would have “Manual-Reload” and “Auto-Reload” swappable by pressing “F”.

That’s actually not a bad idea.

if the survivor gets bitten in the goddamn mouth by a wolf (they always go straight for the mouth...)
Animal Magnetism?

[quote=“Blaze, post:24, topic:1743”]

if the survivor gets bitten in the goddamn mouth by a wolf (they always go straight for the mouth…)

Animal Magnetism?[/quote]

The area should probably be renamed to throat when it is attacked, since it does include the neck (scarves and bandanas are worn on the “mouth” slot.).

I never found manual reload to be that annoying, myself, but what about a game option for automatically reloading empty weapons?

[quote=“Stevensonz, post:14, topic:1743”]{
“id”: “rep_crossbow”,
“type”: “GUN”,
“symbol”: “(”,
“color”: “green”,
“name”: “repeating crossbow”,
“description”: “A custom made mechanical large crossbow, with a wooden magazine that holds 10 bolts. Single bolt reload. Bolts fired from this weapon have a good chance of remaining intact for re-use.”,
“rarity”: 1,
“price”: 1000,
“material”: [“iron”, “wood”],
“flags”: [“ALWAYS_TWOHAND”, “RELOAD_ONE”, “MODE_BURST”],
“skill”: “archery”,
“ammo”: “bolt”,
“weight”: 16,
“volume”: 8,
“bashing”: 13,
“cutting”: 0,
“to_hit”: -1,
“ranged_damage”: -2,
“range”: 6, (was 8) looking at cho-ko-nu 6 seems to be a decent number keeping in mind that steel bolts adds +4 range
"accuracy": 25, (thinking of raising it to 30 ish due to it being fired from the waist position)
“recoil”: 15, (still needs tweaks due to it fired from waist position and imitating a pumping action with lever)
“durability”: 6,
“burst”: 3,
“clip_size”: 10, (over all this looks balanced though reading on some materials 15 rounds is available)
“reload”: 100
},

needs review and balance opinions on this one not sure exactly how close it is to a cho-ku-no type one especially the range been thinking of editing it to 6 range cause steel bolts do add +4 range and on recoil issues I just set 15 to get burst fire have recoil (which simulates mad pumping reducing aim accuracy)[/quote]

description change, needs opinion on changing magazine size of 10 to 15 (read some materials that some models were able to store 15 bolts at a time) also 6 range means it should be balance out wooden which is easy to make. considering changing accuracy to 30 ish 30-35 accuracy, how well would it fit waist firing position?

[quote=“Bladerock, post:22, topic:1743”][quote=“DWC, post:20, topic:1743”]Guys, I don’t think OP is asking for auto crossbows or burst-fire crossbows, or putting it’s rate of fire on parity with the longbow or anything.

OP is really bad at words.[/quote]

No, everyone else is just really bad at reading. Point to where I said anything at all about auto-fire crossbows or any new crossbows, and yet that’s what everyone decided to talk about instead of my suggestion.
And if they did realize what I was actually talking about, they just bring up the same objection of reloading taking too long to be safe, which I already addressed in the OP itself.
Come on!

No, everyone else is just really bad at reading. Point to where I said anything at all about auto-fire crossbows or any new crossbows, and yet that's what everyone decided to talk about instead of my suggestion. And if they did realize what I was actually talking about, they just bring up the same objection of reloading taking too long to be safe, which I already addressed in the OP itself. Come on!
In my experience on the internet, Reading Comprehension is one of those underutilized skills. I assume this is partially due to people who don't speak English as a first language, laziness (I see tl:dr often in some forums, prime example of laziness), people who browse the internet instead of working, and of course the universal young people who couldn't care less.

More on topic, snip from the original post:

This seems pretty straightforward to me, it would be especially useful when I’m running a horde through a series of rows of pit traps, definitely agree with the idea, though I haven’t looked into the weapon code too much so I’m not sure how hard it would be to implement it.

The time requirement makes the option necessary, but it being a separate firing mode makes it convenient for everybody.
I generally use crossbows because of their armor piercing capability, and I also make extensive use of traps and rough terrain which is why I find a crossbow more convenient than a longbow (Those common zombies will die without my help, I save my attention for the hulks, soldiers, spitters, etc).

Though if any of the archery mods get mainstreamed I might change my mind if there isn’t a better crossbow available.

Making it a firing mode doesn’t make any sense, but I can see an auto-reload game option making sense.

Personally I prefer to maintain more control over what actions are happening when, but I can see the desire here, I didn’t weigh in on the original issue because I couldn’t see a way to do it that made sense, a game option works though.

The one sticky point is single-round-reload weapons like revolvers. Would this make you reload after every shot? (I do this frequently, so that when things get dangerous I can start firing rapidly, but I’m not sure it’s good as a default.) I guess it’d make sense to reload if the magazine is empty, so unless you manually reload you end up with just one round in the magazine. The code is simpler that way too, so lets go with that one :stuck_out_tongue:

And people who title their topic about a UI change “Rebalancing” don’t get to criticise others about supposed reading comprehension problems, that’s an incredibly misleading and confusing title :stuck_out_tongue:

Kevingranade, how about this:

When you fire an empty crossbow, it reloads it for you and then fires.

If you manually reload, it just reloads, and then you don’t have to take the reload time when you fire.

Making it a firing mode doesn’t make any sense, but I can see an auto-reload game option making sense.

Personally I prefer to maintain more control over what actions are happening when, but I can see the desire here, I didn’t weigh in on the original issue because I couldn’t see a way to do it that made sense, a game option works though.

The one sticky point is single-round-reload weapons like revolvers. Would this make you reload after every shot? (I do this frequently, so that when things get dangerous I can start firing rapidly, but I’m not sure it’s good as a default.) I guess it’d make sense to reload if the magazine is empty, so unless you manually reload you end up with just one round in the magazine. The code is simpler that way too, so lets go with that one :stuck_out_tongue:

And people who title their topic about a UI change “Rebalancing” don’t get to criticise others about supposed reading comprehension problems, that’s an incredibly misleading and confusing title :P[/quote]

“Reading comprehension” usually implies they actually read the body of the post, and didn’t just jump to respond to a title that they thought signified something else.

To be honest, I only read through paragraph two before replying. My fault, I’m fine with copping that on the chin. It’s still incorrect to say that bows and crossbows do the same damage; crossbows do more damage than bows ever can.

[quote=“GlyphGryph, post:31, topic:1743”]Kevingranade, how about this:

If you manually reload, it just reloads, and then you don’t have to take the reload time when you fire.[/quote]

Again, this is dangerous as a default, because someone could easily get themselves killed due to absent-mindedly trying to fire an empty crossbow.
I like the “auto-reload when your weapon runs out of ammo” option, defaulting to off.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:34, topic:1743”][quote=“GlyphGryph, post:31, topic:1743”]Kevingranade, how about this:

If you manually reload, it just reloads, and then you don’t have to take the reload time when you fire.[/quote]

Again, this is dangerous as a default, because someone could easily get themselves killed due to absent-mindedly trying to fire an empty crossbow.
I like the “auto-reload when your weapon runs out of ammo” option, defaulting to off.[/quote]
Yeah, it would be a good idea to have it in the options. The last thing you want is your character derping out and getting nommed by zombies because he tries to reload in the middle of a horde.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:34, topic:1743”]Again, this is dangerous as a default, because someone could easily get themselves killed due to absent-mindedly trying to fire an empty crossbow.
I like the “auto-reload when your weapon runs out of ammo” option, defaulting to off.[/quote]
This behaviour sounds MUCH more dangerous, and I don’t know why we’d even want to make it an option, to be honest.

Because you can? :stuck_out_tongue:

Because I can see “I don’t want to have to keep hitting reload” as a viable (if dangerous) desire, and it would be relatively straightforward to implement.

I prefer to fire, back off some from the horde wanting to eat me, reload, and fire again. Rinse and repeat. If I fired and reloaded in the same spot the horde would be on top of me by the time I’ve readied my shot.

I totally agree, which is why this option would default to working the way it does now, you’d only get auto-reload if you turn it on manually.