Railroad tracks

Hi again. Vache just dropped me a private message. Vache works on the map generator now.

Vache also requested from me the following:

Can you create a version of the tracks that looks like it was bombed and busted up or smashed up in some way? Ideally, it needs to be generic enough that you can't tell which direction it was supposed to be going in.

I don’t really know how I could tackle this. I am not even sure if I even want this. There are already some ways to make terrain look smashed. I wonder if this is enough, but probably the current situation is sub-optimal. Concrete suggestsions are welcome.

A thing that has come up, when placing roads, or road-like terrain, it places tiles based off of the connections around it. When they don’t have any connections, it throws in a 4-way crossroad tile. There isn’t one like this for the railroads right now. 99% of the time this happens is because craters have been placed in the middle of the roadway, so my solution was to have a “destroyed” railroad tile to use. Another possible solution I can try is to check tiles further away than just the immediately adjacent tiles and lay a directioned piece down based on that.

Ah, now I understand. I try to do it within the next couple days.

Of course, the real solution would be to rework the code which makes craters, because the solution of placing a crossing is just a hack IMO. But this is off-topic now.

I wonder if t can be changed so that it lays the roads, buildings and track first, then adds craters…

It lays the majority of the roads first, but when it places overmap specials, including craters, it has to place more roads to connect up some of the specials.

Thats… Odd. I mean, I can see that for specials like labs and hospitals, but craters dont make over much sense for that. Just replace houses/stores with them…

Yeah the way specials are placed is really weird. I want to redo it, but it’s going to be an undertaking for sure.