Floors, they are complicated

Hello there, uhm, i dont even know if this has been discussd already, but here goes anyways.

Im a big fan of C:DDA, i’ve been palying since before the stable version came out, etc etc.

And i’ve noticed how complicated is for the proggramers to apply Y axis into the game, being an ASCII deal and all, so i thought of a way to possibly apply floors with windows and even elevated open spaces, such as the roof of a house, windows of a bulding, and so on:

Increase/Decrease the font size of the planes, respectiveley with the player level of elevation, which, i dont even know if it’s possible. Ive prepared a horribly placed image to demonstrate
(its a little cheesy but it’s the best i’ve got to offer)

And…well thats all i have to say so far, im not much into browsing the forums. Hope this helps or…something

Generally here we refer to it as the “Z-axis” (Y being North/South). That said this is fairly similar to the idea we are looking at, though rather than differing font sizes it would probably work better to just label each box (and doesn’t run into terminal simulation problems).

Sadly our point of problems for Z-axis integration is mainly tied up with making it work properly with all of the horrible old code. It’s slowly getting better (which makes it easier for someone to complete) but it’s still a rather difficult task. Nonetheless there is a cash reward up for anyone who manages to complete it satisfactorily, ranging up to a couple hundred dollars IIRC.

Huh, and here I thought it was innovating

I’d love to help, but I’m as usefull with programming as a rock is as a scalpel.

That said, I do hope they manage to get it to work. I can’t wait to throw zeds off the roof

Where exactly are we advertising this bounty anyways? Seems to be not too well known that there are FABULOUS CASH PRIZES to be had for getting z-levels in.

Speaking of bounties, would any joe schmoe be able to put up a little dosh for someone if they pushed a feature to be completed?

[quote=“RipRoarinBoogerPenis, post:4, topic:7428”]Where exactly are we advertising this bounty anyways? Seems to be not too well known that there are FABULOUS CASH PRIZES to be had for getting z-levels in.

Speaking of bounties, would any joe schmoe be able to put up a little dosh for someone if they pushed a feature to be completed?[/quote]

We’re on Bountysource, and the Git issue tracker has links for folks to post/add to bounties on issues should they choose to do so. Kevin’s on flattr, IIRC, so folks can use that to throw money directly at him if they like. Last I heard he really hadn’t received anything significant–enough for a Humble Bundle or so?

(Core devs–the folks who typically merge–are ineligible for bounties, as we’re the ones who decide what gets merged and by extension is eligible to claim the bounty. This currently excludes Kevin, Rivet, and myself from bounty consideration.)

Sooooooo who do I throw dosh at for stealth and zeds/fungaloids/ants/triffids/robots fighting each other?

You find or file an issue on the topic(s) and back it.