Questions about project governance (was Small Ass Inventory Menus ?)

Exactly this. There are some devs at present that are about as mature about criticism and feedback as I am. Which is not at all, and that’s why I’m no longer a contributor, let alone a developer.

It’s rather common for a point to be raised and then argued over, then those who object to their pet project being shat on will refuse to actually address the points being raised unless they can actually refute them. If someone hits the nail on the head, they tend to either attack the presentation of the argument, or ignore the subject entirely.

Exactly this. There are some devs at present that are about as mature about criticism and feedback as I am. Which is not at all, and that's why I'm no longer a contributor, let alone a developer.

It’s rather common for a point to be raised and then argued over, then those who object to their pet project being shat on will refuse to actually address the points being raised unless they can actually refute them. If someone hits the nail on the head, they tend to either attack the presentation of the argument, or ignore the subject entirely.

I dont want to say this but I think you hold a grudge somewhere lol.
Also I agree with you.

[quote=“Charlesilv4, post:22, topic:13146”]I dont want to say this but I think you hold a grudge somewhere lol.
Also I agree with you.[/quote]

To an extent, yes. I’ve been holding back quite a bit of the personal beef I have with a few devs in favor of cutting to the chase and hashing out the more valid reasons certain dev attitudes irk me.

It doesn’t help that in another thread recently, I did the same “state my piece, don’t get personal” thing and a certain someone did exactly as I just said. I stated my opinion in a thread entirely about the decline in project quality, and their response was to nitpick an unintended misquote (said quote was in line with my reasoning but applied to a different context, which I acknowledge), followed by dismissing my statement as incoherent.

At no point was the actual point of that statement conceded, addressed, counter-argued, or otherwise acknowledged. That is why I so often get riled up and resort to temper tantrums in the past. Because even valid criticism of the developers is ignored, even if put in the correct thread and done without resorting to personal attacks.

EDIT: And please, don’t take this personally. You know who you are, but you’re not the only one this is addressed to. This concern applies to contributors as well as developers.

Saw that. Though I agree with some of your statements, I also think you should avoid bringing up stuff of that nature, lest you become an easier target.

On a separate note, can someone tell me what sort of hierarchy is enforced in the CDDA dev team? Maybe I’m just a bit dull, but I still don’t quite get the chain of command. :stuck_out_tongue:

On a separate note, can someone tell me what sort of hierarchy is enforced in the CDDA dev team? Maybe I'm just a bit dull, but I still don't quite get the chain of command. :P

Imo is something like this;

Coolthulo: Git moderation and dev implementation.
Rivet the zombie: She adds stuff…thats all I know lol.
mugling: Same as Coolthulo.
Keving: From what he said looks like he is the head of the project.

Of course there is a bunch more of contributors but those are the ones I know.

The hierarchy is quite flat, to gloss over a lot of detail I’m the only remaining founder of the dda fork of cataclysm, so I defacto ‘own’ most of the project resources like the source repository.
BevapDin, codemime, Coolthulu, drbig, i2amroy, illi-kun, mugling, narc0tiq, rivet and some currently inactive devs I trust to review and merge things, so they have permissions to do so.
Everyone on the planet has permission to open issues, comment on them, fork the project, and make pull requests.
Narc0tiq runs the build server, various translators own the translation accounts on transifex, wiki and other servers have various owners.

That’s pretty much it.

Ohhh, I see. So I think that solves this thread.

Also, if my dog thinks that the Thing is too weak a representation of the powers of mutated dogkind, he can make a pull request on FetchHub and expect results?

Everyone on the planet has permission to open issues, comment on them, fork the project, and make pull requests.

What about the astronauts or aliens or beings from another dimension ?
Are you a racist kenving ?!

“Everyone on the planet” is a non-inclusive list, for technical reasons it’s limited to entities with a GitHub account.

(quoted from the third post in the thread)

Huh? I don’t see any vitriol in this thread, so far. Did it get moved from somewhere else, without including the entire thread?

Yes, it’s open source; anyone can make their own fork.

If the current ‘owner’ of the master branch consistently makes decisions that the community doesn’t like, then eventually the ‘master’ fork of cdda will effectively move to new management.

The fact that it’s lasted several years under the current management is a testament to their decision-making ability.

(quoted from the third post in the thread)

Huh? I don’t see any vitriol in this thread, so far. Did it get moved from somewhere else, without including the entire thread?[/quote]
Yes this was forked from Small Ass Inventory Menus ? since it was derailing from discussing the (in many ways legitimate) issue of menu changes into (also legitimate) questions about how the project is run. Hopefully both issues are addressed now, especially since the sizing bug in the new inventory has been fixed.