Question about necropolis

is necropolis still exist? i never find one even in very late game

2 Likes

I found one several months ago so it probably still exists.

1 Like

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

You can spawn necropolis and any other overmap easily via debug menu/map/spawn overmap specials, it has a list of all overmap specials including stuff from mods (Secronom, PK rebalancing, Arcana, Dorf Life, Cata++, Magiclysm)

I guess the question was if it can appear in a process of actually playing a game. I’ve been playing since October 2019 and never seen one spawn (yes, I know you have to do a certain quest for it to have a chance to appear). Maybe it’s just that rare, idk.

2 Likes

I’ve tested and replied to this question elsewhere recently and my conclusion is that the Necropolis is NOT currently spawning in the game-world. The fact it can be debug summoned does not mean the map generator is including it. I scan revealed maps (for testing to answer player questions) multiple times per day as well as live-streaming an absurd amount of CDDA and can say that i have not seen a single Necropolis in months. It’s either not being included in map gen, or is so absurdly rare as to be useless to search for anyway.

There is no quest required to make it appear that i am aware of. I have never done such a quest and had no problems finding Necropolis in the past.

4 Likes

“locations”: [ “wilderness” ],
“city_distance”: [ 3, -1 ],
“city_sizes”: [ 1, 16 ],
“occurrences”: [ 75, 100 ],
“flags”: [ “UNIQUE” ]

And that means…what? I don’t know the format/context rules for the numbers. That city_distance value of -1 sure seems wacky though.

If it’s supposed to tell me that Necropolis is generating i maintain my disbelief/skepticism. I have not seen one in months of live-stream play (i stream 100 hours per month) nor have i been able to find one by teleporting around a default test world checking 20 revealed overworld map sections.

I guess these are min/max values and a value of -1 means infinte (as in: minimum distance to a city 3 overmap tiles, maximum distance “wherever you like”).

However, unless given any more information on what @Zhilkin wanted to say with that (possible fix suggestion?), I have to say that these numbers are wrong. Based on the source code the actual numbers are (as of today):

“locations”: [ “wilderness” ],
“city_distance”: [ 1, 5 ],
“city_sizes”: [ 1, 12 ],
“occurrences”: [ 33, 100 ],
“flags”: [ “UNIQUE” ]

I also wasted over an hour of precious sleep to just confirm what you just said; in over 50 revealed (standard) overmaps I’ve never found a single Necropolis.
If I interpret the numbers correctly, it should have a 1/3 chance of spawing per overmap.
It’s possible that I just got very unlucky or missed it (if the layout has changed massively), but… yeah.

Edit: Tested on version 10342.

A little bit of sleep and some testing later I now begin to questioning my life choices and ask myself why I’m doing this to me I found the following: I changed the flag from “UNIQUE” to “CLASSIC”, which caused the 33% chance of occurance to turn into a whopping 33 to 100 per overmap region and resulted in a lot Necropolis all over the map. So, there’s nothing wrong with the basic spawn code.
I then (after reverting the previous change) set the city_distance to “[ 1, -1 ]” to see if that fixes the problem.
I still had to check 10 different overmaps, but I finally found one.
Which, at least for my interpretation, is still incredibly rare but more manageable.

So, the question now is: What was the goal of setting the max city_distance to 5 in the first place?

1 Like