Question about Air Filtration CBM

Should it protect by itself (i.e. without any other mouth gear worn) from smoke, tear gas, toxic gas?

If the wiki is to be believed

If your environment protection of mouth is lower than 5, this bionics will add additional two points of environment protection up to total of 5.

Draining power to do so I believe.

It is a passive CBM, so it’s not draining any bionic power.
Just wanna know, how these gases and smoke are represented in “environmental protection points”.

It boosts mouth environmental protection to 5, if it is less than that.

Yes, but how much environmental protection does it take to protect against stuff? Smoke, for instance? Poison gas?

If your mouth env. protection from clothing is less than 5, it will add 2 points to that but if the resulting summa is higher than 5, it will set your env. protection to 5.

Env. protection is used to determine what environmental effects are affecting you.

Also it is used for acid strikes. Env. protection of 10 of an item grants it ability to not be affected by acid. Lesser than that linearly increases susceptivity to acid giving 100% at 0 env.

Also it is used for calculating the heat resistance.

I haven’t found any other uses.

Ok, thanks.
So it seems it’s rather useless, because one need to have thrice the power of this CBM to successfully withstand toxic gases, for example.

You need 3strength of effect (not the same as density of field) to be immune.
Smoke has strength 4, poison gas 5, relax gas 6, fungal gas 4 (but hits eyes too), tear gas 5 (but hits eyes too).
If you have less than 3
strength, resistance is rolled like described in http://www.wiki.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?title=Clothing#Armor_Against_Environment
Weaker fields have weaker strength, though it won’t skip the warning, even if you’re immune to a field of a given strength.

[quote=“Valiant, post:7, topic:11658”]Ok, thanks.
So it seems it’s rather useless, because one need to have thrice the power of this CBM to successfully withstand toxic gases, for example.[/quote]

Yeah, that is indeed shockingly useless. I’m mean, sure, I’ll install it anyway (I’m the God of Cybernetics around here, afterall), but I’ll still wear gasmask (or survivor mask).

Yeah, that is indeed shockingly useless. I'm mean, sure, I'll install it anyway (I'm the God of Cybernetics around here, afterall), but I'll still wear gasmask (or survivor mask).

It would be rather imbalanced then. You have to pay for protection and you pay with encumbrance in this case.

Yes, it is quite useless as it literally has the protection capability of a fucking scarf.

Once a CBM nerf lands (the bodypart limiting one), it will need a rebalance to be worth its slots.

[quote=“Coolthulhu, post:11, topic:11658”]Yes, it is quite useless as it literally has the protection capability of a fucking scarf.

Once a CBM nerf lands (the bodypart limiting one), it will need a rebalance to be worth its slots.[/quote]

Is that actually in the works? Or even officially planned to happen? I’ve heard it talked about but always in a “something we could do sometime” sort of way.

Is that actually in the works?
https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/15937