"Psychopath" trait name change

Very well then. I had assumed that the OP’s entire reason for this thread was because they had a problem with the trait’s name. If it’s not actually due to taking offense at the name, and more about misinterpreting what the trait represents, then I agree that there’s no current need to change the trait name.

I just liked the idea of giving the trait a name that described its function without necessarily implying it was a clinical diagnosis or a learned behaviour - makes sense if you’re starting several seasons into the game that you’re not a psychopath, incapable of remorse - you’ve become pragmatic about such acts by necessity.

If the word psychopath didn’t have any technical problems with it, but a huge portion of the player base still felt another name was more appropriate - would this thread still be pointless? Gotta ask the obvious questions to make sure you’re on the right track, sometimes.

Which goes back into the issue of I’m unsure what would be the best alternative.

And you completely misread the post you were responding to. The entire point was my suggesting that part of the potential offense taken to the term might be caused by others conflating the two terms. Which by definition implies I’m not the one failing to tell the two words apart.

If you’re going to make that argument, you’re going to have to explain “what you know of psychopathy”. As it is your statement is unassailable, but pointless since we have no idea what your definition of psychopathy is.

The definition Rivet posted is representative of the game’s usage of the term, indicating a lack of empathy for people or people-shaped monsters that renders them immune to guilt caused by causing such beings harm. This is, as has already been pointed out, far beyond simply being habituated to violence.

Just FYI I’m rather cynical about this point, the several times it has come up already, the rationale has been, “I don’t think I’d feel guilty for doing what is necessary to survive, so I take this trait to reflect that, but I don’t like being called a psychopath.”

“Jaded” doesn’t mean remotely the same thing, it is exactly the kind of thing that is represented by reduction of morale penalties for killing enemies whose death normally causes guilt. A nice little feature would be to add a “jaded” trait when you pass some threshold with that system to make what is happening more visible to the player.[/quote]

Being honest this, this sounds like the way to go. I’m wondering of Jaded also applies to cannibalism, so when you eat enough human flesh you become less and less guilty until you don’t get any morale penalties. To make the cannibalism trait still viable, you get no morale bonus with the jaded trait unlike a survivor with the cannibalism trait would.

Just because someone has a problem with something doesn’t mean we’re going to change it. Sometimes you can get away with simply stating the thing you want changed, and others will immediately agree with you and change it, but in this case, there has been no convincing argument for the term being a problem, even after the lack of rationale was pointed out.

And you completely misread the post you were responding to. The entire point was my suggesting that part of the potential offense taken to the term might be caused by others conflating the two terms. Which by definition implies I’m not the one failing to tell the two words apart.[/quote]

Please learn to English before debating grammar.

To state it more clearly, if the problem is people getting confused due to poor reading skills or not paying attention, I don’t care. I have no intention of changing word choices in the game because they’re too “difficult”.

Right. Given the general character of your replies to me lately, I had assumed it was specifically directed at me. ._.

But yeah, I agree that at the moment I don’t see any immediate reason to change the trait name. Thinking up alternatives would be useful in the event someone procures a convincing reason to change it, in which change we’ve have the “what else could we call it” discussion settled. But if there is no reason to change the name, then this is ultimately just a waste of time.

Stolen from Project Zomboid, but I think the word “desensitized” works very well here. psychopath sounds more like a trait for someone who takes pleasure in killing…